Modern Metal Amp options

Seamus McFlanery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want to get a modern metal amp and what I mean by that is something that isn't voiced to sound like a classic amp (hot rodded Marshall like an SLO) or something that isn't a classic itself (like a 5150). When I say modern I mean an amp that was made within the last 20 years or so and has a unique voice.

The amp would be used for detuned music (D and below) in the styles of progressive metal, death and black styles (melodeath, prog death, prog black, etc.) I want the amp to not be dry or super compressed. I want an organic sounding amp that saturates but doesn't go overboard.

Price is nothing more than $4000 (preferably $3k and below new or used) and build quality is a essential. Also the amp will be played through a 2x12 cab with V30s.

What are some good choices for what I am looking for?

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
First amp that comes to mind is a Peters Amplification. Peters Hydra or Peters Chimera models also come to mind. Made to order and he's been in business for many years.

Second which comes to mind is Henning Amplification. Specifically his cherry bomb model. It's Marshall inspired, not SLO inspired, and he designed the amplifier top to bottom himself. Check it out:

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Revv Generator 120 Mk2 seems right on your ballpark. Canadian handmade, 120 Watts modern tube amp with 4 channels with bright/fat switches. And it is for 2700 USD, well below your budget.

Randall and KSR are my alternatives. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
Driftwood - either one of the Nightmares (mini or purple), depending on how much horsepower you want/need under the tolex

DarkNe0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think KSR (previously Rhodes) can be beaten in this category. Either a Colossus or Gemini.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Another vote for Peters. He'll dial up whatever you want.

Seamus McFlanery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I should also add that I want a solid clean channel and responsive eq controls. I want to hear the change in tone when I mess with the eq. I've had some amps that require you to really tweak the thing to get it to sound different.

Stijnson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, I would recommend KSR, Revv and Driftwood in your case, or maybe a PRS Archon? Although to be honest a 5153 would be a good choice too, as will many ENGL models, although some of those might be too compressed for your liking.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
You sure you don't want an axe or something like that? Sounds like you kind of want to craft a unique sound apart from existing amps.

Seamus McFlanery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You sure you don't want an axe or something like that? Sounds like you kind of want to craft a unique sound apart from existing amps.

Not necessarily since I know that getting a unique sound is a sum of its parts and I already have everything else in place, I just want an amp that isn't common enough that the basis of my tone will sound similar to most other people. I do need to try other speaker combinations though, that would probably help. But right now I want to find an amp specifically tailored for lower tunings and heavier styles.

Given To Fly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Fuchs Viper would be my recommendation. If you did not have the rest of your setup already planned out I would suggest using only signature gear for your entire rig with each part coming from a different endorsed artist. It would be a nice little philosophical experiment. :coffee:

Jaek-Chi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Driftwood nightmare has my vote for suuuuurrreeeeee - but as people said Peters seem to be incredible. I've had no experience unfortunately.

Seamus McFlanery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay so some options so far are:

Peters Triple Channel
Driftwood Purple
Henning Cherry Bomb
Diezel Herbert(?)
Revv Generator 120
KSR Colossus

As for the PRS Archon I will be playing one sometime this week and I'm not too sure about the 5153. I don't like the fact that it is so smooth. What I liked about the original 5150/5152 series is how raw it sounds.

Any others?

Jacksonluvr636

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think KSR (previously Rhodes) can be beaten in this category. Either a Colossus or Gemini.

This would be my #1 vote. He is currently making a second revision of the Orthos which has more options similar to the Ares. These amps are completely crushing.

I was so close to pulling the trigger myself but I found a Rev 2 Uberschall which I HAD to get based of rarity and awesomeness.

Would highly suggest a KSR.

BUT there's a lot out there. The Peters as people mentioned is a great option as well. If you can find a Baron amp that would be a good choice.

Lickliter makes some killer amps as well and I can also say with the right tubes a VHT 100CL is probably one of the meanest amps and it is very unique.

I applaud you on wanting a different sound. Nothing wrong with a hot rodded Marshall but I like unique as well.

If I had $4,000 to spend I would also be looking at Friedman amps even though I'd say it's in the hotrod territory.

Oklep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Framus Dragon - VERY underrated metal amp.
Hughes & kettner triamp mk2 (have not tried mk3 yet) - all in one box. From breathtaking cleans to boosted mesa recto tone (which was actually way better than from actual mesa DR roadster I had before, lol). It was tighter, smoother and very organic sounding.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd actually say the framus is very OVERRATED :shrug: i think the cobra is bad and the dragon is worse, theyre very very treble heavy and they don't really get thick sounding, tight sure, but the voicing is pretty bad imo

Oklep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Treble heavy? :eek: Dragons are very dark sounding, you probably played a broken one. Cobras are meh with other cabs than the original one. Too much bass, too much gain. Dragon is the real deal, instant killswitch engage tone

Latest posts