Modern German prog?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Quitty, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Me and the wifey are trying to learn German - and i think what i really need at the moment is a good band that can sing in beautiful German gibberish until i get it.

No power-metal or folk please. I think that narrows it down by ~90%.
    Modern prog-metal (good djent goes here), post-rock, fusion or anything else that's just exceedingly good and isn't limited to the major-scale and 4/4.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

REALLY oddly specific criteria you're looking into here. Every Prog band I've ever heard, modern or not, sings in English (even if it's a bit broken).

Closest thing I can think of for what you're after is Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. I'm not sure they fit into any of the examples you gave, but they certainly have an interesting sound... Might be just a tad folky for ya, though...

3. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I can't believe this song is 10 years old, but it's all I got.

4. gorthul

gorthul SS.org Regular

There you go...

5. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Okay here's the problem. If you want german metal with german lyrics there is basically no way around the folk and/or gothic/industrial scene. Sure there are some obscure underground bands like The Hirsch Effekt, but music with interesting german lyrics?

However if you'd allow yourself into the world of folk metal there are some great bands that include progressive elements into their music. Prime example would be Subway to Sally in the 90s.

This one has a fantastic 5/4 riff running over a 4/4 rhythm.

Or check out this one in which they "forget" the last eight and turn it into a 4/4 - 4/4 - 4/4 - 7/8 rhythm which is really totally awesome when combined with the regular folk melody running over it.

And don't even let me start on them using counterpoint singing and the fantastic use of choirs.

6. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

https://ksmpl.bandcamp.com/
    I like this guy

I used good ol Rammstein to learn german, its simpler to begin with. Also , German hip hop is pretty funny.

7. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I know, if it were any simpler, Google would have saved you guys the trouble.
    This is indeed a little on the cliché side for me, but as The Mirror said, there's a good chance i'm going to have to get used to it and hope it's an acquired taste.

That was ....ing beautiful. Half way between Tool and Soen. Thanks, man! Exactly what i was hoping for.
    Surprisingly hard to find mention of them online, though, or even a place to buy their music in digital format.

He shoots, he scores!
    I love the honest live-tracking style. That's exactly what i'm hoping the band scene in Germany will look like. Damn, these guys are good!

I'll give it a shot. I understand the issue with expecting non-national-sounding bands to use local language, but i'm hopeful. Let's hope the whole kitsch (IMO) thing is an acquired taste when it's well done.

Those two nightclub bouncers make the kind of music i play over the speakers, then look around to see if anyone heard me :lol:
    Kriegsmaschine is amazing, though! Another score.

Ton of thanks, guys! looks like i have a playlist waiting for me :hbang: