Modelling Folks: Can modelling actually kill amp GAS??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Dineley, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

So I have a Helix floor. I know I can realistically get every sound I will ever need out of it. But I still lust over amps hardcore haven't pulled trigger in a while but shiiiiiiiit I want them all lol.

Obviously Fractal couldn't cure the GAS for @Deadpool_25 but is there anyone here who would say they are cured? I know @budda you seem to lean that way in lots of threads.

And for those of us who still like both is there something modellers could do that would make you totally give up on amps??

wakjob and Deadpool_25 like this.
  2. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

It absolutely did for me about 8 years ago with the Kemper.

I, however, never was the amp in the room sound type, as the recorded result was always way more important to me.

I have been using the AXE FX III for almost a year now and all the limitations of the Kemper have disappeared into thin air.
    The bottom line is that I have absolutely no amp GAS anymore and am completely satisfied.

ascl, brandon7s, Musiscience and 7 others like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think I'll always want more amps, and I certainly do, but with all the modeling at my fingertips it's hard to justify buying the real deal when I can just find pretty much anything in a Kemper profile.

If I was still gigging regularly it may be a different story.

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It did for me for close to 10 years. Axe-Fx Standard for maybe a year and then I found a used Axe-Fx 2 and used that into an Atomic FR (50W tube poweramp -> 1x12 FRFR speaker). Sounded great, was horrible to use without Axe-Edit open. Sold it when the Axe-Fx 3 was released as it was just more power I did not need and not enough of the UI improvements I was looking for. I have a Helix Floor now.

I bought my Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead 1x12 combo with the intention that this was going to be my sound and I don't need anything but a few pedals to go with it. Well, by chance I found a really good deal on a Helix Floor so I bought one of those and really like it so that became my fx and routing box. Converted the Bogner to a head and cab, bought a Bluetone 4x10 after hearing one, bought an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo to make the Bogner MIDI controllable from the Helix. Then got into Vox sounds and bought a Victory VC35.

I have a more complicated rig than I did with the Axe-Fx 2, just one that is more easy to immediately adjust and has more sensible switching than what my Behringer FCB1010 provided. If I were to overhaul my rig again from scratch, it would most likely be Quad Cortex into some FRFR setup. Or maybe a BluGuitar Amp X into a guitar cab when that becomes available.

I still kinda want something that is the modern high gain type like a Diezel, Mesa Mark or Recto or something in that vein. I look for good deals used from time to time but usually just come to my senses and say to myself that I don't need another big tube amp and don't have space for a cab suited for that. I can just as well run my modeler into a poweramp.

This year I have spent more time playing through headphones with a modeler or plugins than using my tube amps. In the next few years I hope to buy a house so I can play the tube amps louder regularly.

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

No.

After the Axe II and Kemper I went back to a Fryette GP/DI, and after that I grabbed an Orange Dual Dark and an Egnater Armageddon going into a Suhr RLIR.

I realistically only need like 4 sounds and a modeler is overkill for me.

Jeff and sleewell like this.
  6. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

It did for me. Pedal gas gone too. I bought a cab and guitars this year while the helix remained the base of my live rig the entire time with no foreseeable changes. The 3.0 update has been sweet, love getting new stuff for free.

TonyFlyingSquirrel likes this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I bought an FM3 mostly for the effects. I will always have GAS for tube amps simply because i love them and want to collect them :lol: Plus new amps seem to be popping up all the time, which doesn't help. Also, there are still amps missing from Fractal that i want.

The FM3 killed my pedal gas, other than maybe buying an EQD Afterneath pedal.

MatrixClaw and sleewell like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I had a Kemper and all it did was make my amp GAS way worse. I ended up selling it to buy a wall of amps. I regret nothing :lol:

9. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I have a wall of amps and have turned two of them on since I got an axe III like a year and a half ago. It's let me spend more money on guitars and synths, which still isn't much since I wasn't buying new amps every month or anything like that.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Did for me. Why would I go back to an amp when it would just give me one tone when a modeler could give me all? Modelers don't just give me all the amp tones I want, but also all the pedal sims that I would ever need plus more!

Yep, they may not sound exactly like the real thing, but close and good enough for me!

TonyFlyingSquirrel likes this.
  11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Hasn't yet. Over my playing life, I've gone back & forth from amps & modelers a few times already.

12. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

As much as I love my Axe III...... I just bought a Triaxis a couple days ago :lol:

I just love gear, nothing will change that. I'm actually planning on running a setup now with the Triaxis/2:90 and my Roadster in stereo, using the Axe for effects and midi control. It's just so fun seeing what I can do with all this stuff, I like configuring and tweaking

13. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

It did for me.

Not a fan of big heavy amps, even if they sound good.

Modeler + FRFR (or power amp + cab) is good enough for me in most situations.

Also, almost any sound I need or want is there at the flick of a switch (kinda).

14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Nice nice to hear from so many. I feel with an amp i love turning on and just playing I kind of get option paralysis with my Helix

moreisless and Deadpool_25 like this.
  15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Definitely did for me. I haven't even touched a third of the stuff in Helix, and with the Command Center switching options and some of the new models, and FX, I've still got a lot to do before I run out of ideas.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It did for me for a couple years, but then I wanted more amps. Now I have both.

I just think part of this guitar playing hobby is just buying and trying new stuff. There is a lot of fun in that, even if it is not realistically necessary.

Estilo, swollseyba and WarMachine like this.
  17. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Currently, yes.

(Pending necrobump from me in a about a year or so)

steinmetzify likes this.
  18. Soya

Soya Poor person

Powered Kemper cured my gas for sure. My Mark V sounded better but I mainly play solo at low to mid volume through a 2x12 cab and a full tube head wasn't better enough to overcome the practicality of a solid state modeling amp.

19. BenSolace

BenSolace Divine Solace

It's a no from me, at least nowadays. I had a decent collection of amps that I sold off when I got my Axe FX Ultra some years ago, but it didn't take long before I wanted a tube power amp for it. Fast forward several power amps and an upgrade to the Axe II later I now realise that all the Fractal did was show me what amps I would and wouldn't like in the real world (assuming the modelling accuracy of that particular amp). I now have neither Fractal product.

My preferences change weekly but I usually ended up with a Mesa Recto or 5150 model with either an EQ or OD in front - having owned a Roadster in the past (still miss that amp, stupid impulsive sale) all I want now is a Dual Rec with my HX Effects in 4CM for FX, but in the UK even the standard Dual Rec is crazy expensive new. For some reason second hand sellers are asking either RRP or more for their older non-multi-watt versions :confused:

I hate direct sounds for just noodling about/writing, and IRs all sound like shit to me (which makes committing to a final recorded tone very hard to do). Even with in-ears live the feel of a cab on stage is something I greatly prefer.

Long story short, I think people who are more into recording and having a multitude of different sounds at their fingertips would be satiated with digital stuff, but for me as a person who always writes and plays better (and for longer stints) with a "real" amp through a cab it doesn't quite scratch the itch.

Kyle-Vick and Emperoff like this.
  20. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Practically, yes. I'm not really at the forefront of the amp trend so the tones and styles I want have already been modeled in the Axe and it's hard to beat the all-in-one convenience. I probably spend 90% of my playing in front of the Axe.

Emotionally, no. As close as the ones and zeros of the Axe Fx can get, it will never beat the visceral experience of standing in front of the Mark V / 6505 stereo rig as it hisses, spits, and practically begs the cops to show up.

And so the amp gas persists...

Emperoff and laxu like this.