Modeler into Studio Monitors vs Stage Monitors

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by vilk, Apr 14, 2021.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Moving across an ocean in 30 days, I've sold all my amps and cabs and now I've got only a POD Go and some beat up studio headphones. I have every intention of buying another tube amp once I'm settled in, but in the meantime I'm planning to use the POD

Because my current headphones are unsatisfactory, I'd like to get a powered monitor to play through. But I can't decide: should I get a powered stage monitor like a headrush frfr, or should I get a/some 5" studio monitors? I don't do anything in stereo so really I only need just one.

My thought is that if I get a stage monitor, I can always use it at home just the same, but then if I wanted to play with someone I could bring it with. But that's not really a possibility for studio monitors. Is there some advantage of studio monitors over stage monitors?

Having said that, I'm not very familiar with either type of monitor and I've never owned one either. So I'm curious to hear some SSO input.

2. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

If you don't intend to record, produce, mix, listen to music or use your computer with them, you can perfectly use a stage monitor instead. If playing standalone , a 1x12 monitor will be more satisfying to play than two 5" sutdio monitors, etc.

Kyle Jordan and vilk like this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Sold my 112 powercab when i got my CR4's (discontinued) as jams arent a thing.

Try both, return the one you like less.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Did you think they CR4 sounded better, or was it just because the power cab was louder than your needs?

5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I've got some 5 inch monitors and a Headrush 112 and I really like em both for different applications. The monitors are great to have for general listening on top of jamming. I think they sound better at lower volumes, although that could be in my head. My patches sound good through either, I just cut a bit more high and low end when I'm playing through the FRFR.

I prefer the Headrush when I'm playing louder, does a much better job of filling up the room and can produce more low end. A big pro for the Headrush is that it's not as beamy as the monitors, so you don't have to be sitting in the sweet spot.

I think this choice comes down to what you'll be doing the most. If you like to (and are able to) crank it up pretty regularly and are going to be jamming with others, FRFR all the way. If you're planning to just riff at the house at lower volumes, I'd opt for monitors.

devastone and vilk like this.
  6. budda

It was partially the less space running monitors and cash back in my pocket. The powercab was fine but iirc i turned it into another guitar :lol:.

vilk likes this.
  7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I understand that it's nice to have a stereo set up for your computer, especially when you've got a whole battle station desk going. I used to have something like that back in college, it was very nice. But these days, with the advent of smartphones, my computer usage at home is more limited. I'm mostly on the phone. I do use the laptop to navigate Helix sometimes, though TBH I'd be much happier if it were an app. I don't intend to set up any battle station.

I'm not sure what my jamming situation will be like. I'd love to find a place with concrete construction, which is fairly common there. And hopefully someday I'll meet some folks to jam with. But I'm sure it won't be right away. And depending on the rehearsal space, they've probably already got PA and amps and stuff there, at least that's how it was at the ones I've been to.

Thanks for the input, everyone, much appreciated. But now I have another question:

Everyone in this thread is taking about a 12" stage monitor... But if the speaker is really FRFR, wouldn't the 8" do just as well? I've had an 8" guitar speaker and felt it was a little lacking, but I've also heard a 4x10 guitar cab that I thought sounded probably better than almost any 4x12 guitar cab I've ever heard... So I'm not necessarily one of those 12" or Die! people.

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Well, think about common 2.1 "surround" Systems. The woofers cover the low end, and they can be as low as 3" (although they usually are bigger, of course). Will that sound the same as a 15" bass speaker?

That's your answer.

9. quad7

quad7 SS.org Regular

I use monitors at home and currently lugging my tube amp when playing out. That amp is heavy and the cab means I disable the IR.

I'm in a quest for the FRFR equivalent of a 20w amp (or is it 5w or 50w :cheers:). Feels like there's a missing product between
    • Studio monitors that stay at home and and have a narrow sweet spot and volume limits
    • FRFR's which are rugged, luggable, want a large room/distance from the ear, and get very loud

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not all "FRFR" is the same, many (as in most on the market) and meant to be part of a larger array to cover a wide spectrum. That's why you'll see 2-way and 3-way mains, subs, horns, etc.

Most of the newer guitar oriented stuff with 10" or less drivers are closest to commercial 2-way mains, which is fine for most guitars.

When you get into some of fancier 10" and larger 12" systems, you'll have something more analogous to a commercial 3-way speaker, which adds better bass response for use without a sub.

If you're looking for a solid "all-arounder" look into name brand 10" 2-way setups, they should have the right balance of frequency response for guitar, be suitable for some bass applications in the future, and hit size, weight, and pricing requirements you're looking at.

I have a JBL EON610 that punches well above it's $400 price tag. It's small, light, loud, and easy to setup for when I don't want to haul my Mackie around.

11. budda

I remember a buddy's church had an EON that we'd plug a discman into and jam along with, when we weren't jamming to me making guitar noises. Ah, highschool.

The plus side is that regular wedges don't seem to get the "traditional guitarist tax" and are not hellishly expensive.

vilk likes this.
  12. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

You only need to play through a THR10X to hear how good tiny speakers can sound. It still blows my mind (what's left of it). I sometimes even plug my multi FX unit into my logitech computer "surround" system with sub & have a noodle & it doesn't sound horrendous.
    Why not buy both? Studio monitors 5" & say a Headrush 8" FRFR

13. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Seems redundant and the Headrush is basically a rebadged Alto that is far from flat afaik and I've read plenty of complaints about the sound of those things. If you want to go the FRFR speaker route I'd probably pick up something nicer. It's not really about the size rather than the overall quality. If you can try out some other units as well.

Nothing stops you from also just buying something like a small poweramp like a SD Powerstage and pairing that with a real guitar cab. Helix and POD Go stock cab sims are just not particularly great so that would get around that issue, otherwise your best bet is 3rd party IRs.

If you want the option for something you can use for a jam then the FRFR setup makes more sense than a pair of studio monitors.

vilk likes this.
  14. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

There is not much difference but I tend to think of Studio monitors as more accurate/flat/true per dollar spent. Some of your money is going to more volume with the PA speaker (stage monitor to you). Sort of like a take on the old engineering design addage about trade offs in product design but expressed in terms of speakers: Loud, Cheap, Accurate; pick two. ;)

vilk likes this.
  15. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

WTH, not my post is gone...

Anyway, the EON610s are great as Max said. And, it depends as most have said, 99% of the time at home I'm running through some Kali monitors on my desk, live I run direct and use IEMs. I have used the 610s live and they were great too.

16. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

*Double Post*

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  17. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Dafuq you goin?? :)

Your original reasoning is sound. Grab an FRFR speaker and be done with it. The Headrush 108 was a little boomy for me and had kind of a sterile sound, but I didn’t really even try to dial it in well. Not a bad option imo, but if I was doing it again I’d look into something from Atomic, Friedman, Xitone, Matrix, etc.

18. budda

Buy yamaha, mackie or QSC and can probably get the same quality for half the $$. The guitar tax is real :lol:

Veldar, devastone, wakjob and 3 others like this.
  19. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

I second Deadpool_25's question...df you going?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm going to Japan! I don't know if anyone remembers but actually that is where I was living when I first joined this site and started getting into gear. My wife is Japanese and we've been living in the US for the past 6 years, but we really miss the way life was back there and we've got nothing holding us down, so we finally decided to stop talking about moving back and just do it!

Millul, Dineley, laxu and 3 others like this.
  21. budda

Wishing you two the best on getting back to it :yesway:

Dineley and Deadpool_25 like this.