• Brie

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Green guitars with EMGs

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Lately, I’ve been drinking heavily from the well of dad rock and AOR of my childhood and youth, so I set about moding my old Warmoth to properly fit the bill:

The basis:
full

Preparing the new pickguard to fit the Floyd:
full

Cheesy Valley Arts repro neck plate:
full

Obviously, a proper ‘80s cheese machine needs EMGs:
full

Adding matching knobs and switch tip completes the transformation:
full

Frankly, I never really liked EMGs - their attack, compression and tones were never really what I looked for in my instruments. However, after adding a few instruments to my small collection, I really felt like ticking the EMG box. Thus, after realising that EMGs have their own sound (rather than just sounding “off”), I am really having fun with my “new” guitar.

So far I’m really having digging the 89/SA/SA set. Initially, I wanted to pick up the Lukather pickguard, but I’m really happy with my choice - the split tones really are cool for those impossibly clean clean tones of Luke, Landau et al.

To add even more cheesy ‘80s goodness to the mix, one of my good friends donated his old rack mounted TC Electronic dual SCF... it looks home built, but was done by TC Electronic in the decade of hairspray and spandex - and it sounds AWESOME!
full

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks so damn good, great choice! I bet it sounds killer, but I like EMGs to begin with.

Brie is the cheesiest cheese. It’s both creamy and firm, and if I were you I would eat a brie wheel while riffing 80’s metal ballads.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I’m really having fun with it all - and isn’t that what this passion of our’s is all about?
That looks so damn good, great choice! I bet it sounds killer, but I like EMGs to begin with.

Brie is the cheesiest cheese. It’s both creamy and firm, and if I were you I would eat a brie wheel while riffing 80’s metal ballads.
I finally began truly appreciating EMGs after I modded my friend’s Charvel earlier in the year (he’s a massive Luke nut, so he went with the SL-20 set). At long last, I heard EMGs as their own thing, rather than a pale imitation of “real” pickups. I don’t see EMGs ever becoming my main PUs, but they are excellent at what they do and I am really pleased to have added yet another fun tool to my frankly rather excessive tool box... and to me, the 89/SA/SA combo is a better fit than the Luke set - it’s brighter and has the added versatility of splitting the 89.

Staying so much at home this year, I really have gone off the rails with tone chasing... not as in buying a bunch of new gear, but more from shaping my tones with the gear already available to me... Hell, I even managed to set up a version of Lukather’s fabled circular delays using three of my old analogue delays.

For years, I didn’t really make much use of my Diezel’s stereo power amp, but now my man shed is awash with stereo chorus and circular delays and I’m really enjoying it... it took me about 15 years to get there, but picking the VH4s over the regular VH4 finally seems like a brilliant move!
Man that looks badass, before and after. Totally giving off some "Green Meanie" vibes.
Thanks Max... and yup, that fabled Charvel was a big inspiration when I initially put my Warmoth together.

With the success of converting my Warmoth from simply silly to a poor man’s Valley Arts rip-off, comes a problem though: I really miss the odd HHS setup I had in my “Green Meanie” before. Thus, I already see the next guitar project in my future. I have (sort of) figured out what I’ll do. I won’t reveal the details just yet, but it will include poor taste, even worse judgement, a band saw, a router and hopefully no flying fingers ;)

Anyway, I’m off to the shed again for more juicy ‘80s goodness... Who knows, I might even grow a mullet!

Cheers

Eske

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’m partial to single color pickguards, myself, so I’d go white or black and go for that green meanie vibe. But, this is cool no matter how you slice it!

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
I’m partial to single color pickguards, myself, so I’d go white or black and go for that green meanie vibe. But, this is cool no matter how you slice it!
Thanks man! I really thought about going black for the pickguard - which would also have been more true to the old Valley Arts guitars. However, I already had that kind of look on my RG550, so I went for something different...and a lot more cheesy
full

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
What's up with that gold flake one?
That’s my Golden Shower Strat - another Warmoth build I did. Roasted alder body, roasted maple neck and a scalloped rosewood fretboard. I used a prewired Mojotone Quietcoil pickguard for it and added a Wudtone trem and locking Gotoh tuners, for good measure:
full

full

full

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Cool stuff! Any particular reason for having both a humbucker and single-coil in the neck position?
It basically allows me to have both Yngwie and Petrucci neck position tones in the same guitar... and that's pretty cool IMHO!

I wired it up thus:

1) Bridge in series
2) Bridge in parallel (faux single coil)
3) Neck humbucker in series
4) Neck single coil in parallel with bridge in parallel (Straty/Tele-ish in between tone)
5) Neck single coil

Frankly, this wiring does pretty much everything I want in a single guitar and I love the tones, I get from it... I just had to scratch that EMG itch and the "Green Meany" was the most obvious canditate for the conversion. The only negative is that I now need yet another guitar for my weird HHS setup... and that's not really a problem at all ;)

Cheers

Eske

Last edited: