Modding my MIJ LP Custom (DIY or Luthier?)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by neurosis, Feb 25, 2019.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hello all,

I have a broken headstock Les Paul Custom. It's a Japanese made Epiphone with the regular Gibson headstock. It was repaired and when I bought it I did so because it showed huge potential.

I cleaned it. Took out the guts and rewired it with a BKP Painkiller (B) and Gibson Custom (N) for the ~21 pups combos à la Jimmy Page, installed new saddles and cut a new nut for it.

It plays incredibly and sounds even better but detail obsessed as I am and since it was affordable I've kind of made it my platform to try my craftsmanship.

I just did a fret level which was easy but had some finishing issues doing the crowning and edge treatment. I think I'll have to practice some more before I can have pristine finished look.

The guitar plays hundred times better now but I have been wondering if I shouldn't get rid of the frets and install medium jumbos, which I prefer and strip the finish on the neck while I am at it.

I also don't mind that the guitar has a repaired headstock but the binding wasn't redone and the crack under the trussed bell is also visible.

So I would like to:

• Remove the frets and install, level and crown medium jumbos.
    • Sand or clean the scratched fretboard (has minor scuffs and marks).
    • Polish/sand/clean the fretboard binding (it also has a couple smaller marks).
    • Redo/restore the binding on the headstock.
    • Possibly refinish or cover the crack that's visible on the face of the headstock.
    • Strip the finish on the neck and leave it natural with just a thin coat or varnish.
    Would you suggest that I attempt to do all of this myself? Or should I try and get a Luthier to do some of these things? I have a feeling that I could do a good job with the fret install and level (not so much with the crowning and rounding). But I am unaware of what the technique to do the binding is like and what things I'd have to consider to take that on. I also feel I could probably do a decent job with stripping the neck, just don't know what I'd use to do the waxing/oiling of the natural wood after.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a trusted/good Luthier in Northern Virginia or DC that I could call to discuss this?

2. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

I would say you could do the majority of what you want all diy. Not to terribly hard for most of. It might take some time, patience, and research. I know there are a lot of videos and articles on stewmac that would directly relate to what you are wanting to do!

neurosis likes this.
  3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply! I've been looking at stuff on there. I think you're probably right. Was just wondering if anybody knew a truth luthier in the area to chat about it and possibly get a quote. In the meantime I have found a few.

Of all the things I am listing I am confident all are easy except maybe the fret dressing (I already found that thought this time around) and filing and the binding, face of headstock restoration.

To be honest I am pretty sure the restoration would be hard for me to do. My apartment is already at the edge of capabilities for this kind of handcrafts work anyway. I also don't know if I'd do a great finishing job even if I were able to do a great job at replacing the binding.

Right now I am planning to strip the neck from its finish, replace the frets and level myself but for the final crowning and the headstock repair I believe I'd be best served by someone with more experience. I am really meticulous and learn quick but I also don't have a lot of time to spend on this nowadays.

4. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

if you can do the frets (removal, reinstall, and level) then that will significantly lower the price you will see quoted from a luthier, but you could also see what a local luthier will charge you for the whole job just so you have an idea.

neurosis likes this.
  5. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

If you already have the tools at hand then yes id say DIY,but if you don't have the tools or access to them and this will be a 1 off job you might be better of just getting a quote to have the work done as good quality fretting tools might set you back about the same as getting to whole lot done ?

Id get a few quotes then also price up that tools/finish/polish/parts you will need to DIY and see if the diff is that great.

neurosis and budda like this.
  6. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Good point! Yeah. I have the fret flies, the pliers and I have borrowed leveling beams, rockers, etc from a friend before. So anything regarding the frets and fretboard is stuff I can do. I just looked up the prices for the fret wire and it's a reasonable price so I may give it a go. I am less confident about the headstock binding repair. For that I am going to try and find somebody more qualified. I have no time to fuss around with that.