Modding a Schecter Demon 7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by OmegaSlayer, Apr 22, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Ok, here's the guitar

[​IMG]

And the specs

This is a guitar I purchased way way back to get back into guitar after almost 10 years of hiatus.
    I brought it to work to practice, amp-less, to bring back my hands into form.
    The guitar is 7 years old now, and I grew very fond of it.
    It's not special, it sounds like a turtle when plugged, but I feel very comfy with it.
    It's solid, has a good body resonance, to put it simply...I like it and I've decided to get the best out of it.

The guitar finish is indeed in bad shape, the guitar went back and forth from home to workplace, fell an insane amount of times and I hit every wall, desk and whatever surface I could.
    The matte is no more, it's very very glossy.

So, first of all, the paint has to go, both on the body and on the headstock.
    I have a thing for all the colours between the pink-ey and violet-ey range, so the guitar will probably paint in a colour that will fall in this range, probably more close to lilac

[​IMG]

If the wood has a decent grain, I could decide to just give a stain and not a full cover of paint, but that's something to see when I sand the guitar.

To replace the logo, I want to use this kind of logo

[​IMG]

...if I manage to find one version with a good resolution.

In regards to the cavity covers, which will be copper shielded inside...I'll either cover them with carbon fiber- like stickers or have a plexiglass transparent colour-matched covers.
    Still, very very undecided.

The hardware will be gold, obviously, as it is a perfect match for the paint.

So, I'll have to buy Gold Locking tuners...but which brand sells 3+4 sets?
    I have no preference between Schaller, Gotoh, Sperzel, I'll just favour simplicity of purchase, so every suggestion will be very good to me.

Gold Dome knobs and gold 3-way switch.

I'm someway interested in having a luthier replace the frets with Stainless Steel fret in Gold Evo colour.

As for the bridge...I don't mind the Tune-O-Matic and mine is still in quite good condition, so I was wondering if it would have been better to purchase a new Gold one or to anodyze the one I already have.
    Even because I would like to put piezo saddles.

Now here's the first big thing...I want to add a piezo output with Ghost system, a full Ghost system, so both midi and acoustic pre-amp inside, which means I'll have to carve another quite huge cavity in the body of the guitar.
    BUT, I can't seem to find 7 string tune-o-matic with piezo pick-up, so I'm thinking of something like finding just Tune-o-matic saddles and replace them on the existing bridge...big help needed here.

The pick-ups will go away...as the Seymour Duncan designed are crap.
    I'll probably go for good ol' simple version of Seymour Duncan Blackouts (not the Jeff Loomis one, as if everything goes to plan I'll purchase a Schecter Cygnus and I don't want 2 guitars with the same pick-up combo.)
    And the pots will be replaced too.

So yeah, the body of the guitar will be carved, and as I'm at it, I will surely remove some wood from the scoops on the heels, both in front of the guitar and back, as my hand is big (fingers are normal, but palm is huge, ugly hand I know :lol: ) and fret access on higher frets is not optimal.

The neck will see the gloss stripped and just oiled.

Nut will be a compensated one in graph-tech...if I manage to save one.

Now...this is the first time I mod a guitar myself, so I'm a total noob, but I'm finally confident that I can do most of the things.
    Not the carving, not the painting, not the fret replacement, but something I can definitely do.
    But yeah, it's something that will take time and...money...loads of money...more than € 800,00 of hardware (which is quite crazy by itself to put it on a guitar that is just a bit above budget tier), but I'm quite confident that it could really turn out well and be a monster and make me very happy.

Where would you guys start from?
    I think swapping the pick-ups and stripping the gloss from the neck are the first steps.

I hope you guys will help me, guide me, advice me, especially if you think I'm going to do some idiocy.

And I'll keep you updated.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Not sure about dealers in the EU but I got a 4+3 set of Gotoh 510 mini tuners from LMII a while back.

You just need to add an individual one to the order. Here's the link:
    Gotoh® 510 Mini Tuners

I'd say stripping the neck and swapping hardware us a good place to start. Painting involves a lot more work and time.

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Thanks for the link, those are not locking, but I'll eventually find something.
    Painting will be the last thing, even because while modding stuff, something might go wrong on the paint.

4. Hywel

Hywel SS.org Regular

I think you can change the button side on Sperzels so if you can find a 7 set in gold that might work.