mixing scales

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by coregod, Nov 21, 2021.

1. coregod

coregod SS.org Regular

been learning music theory lately, I play Drop A so learned the A minor scale. I see a lot of things I can do with A minor to change the sound, hirajoshi scale which is pretty much a minor pentatonic, I sometimes add in the G# for harmonic minor sounds, then I found the diminished arpeggios in harmonic minor, today I learned A Dorian by learning the sailor moon theme and it’s only one note different than most of the other stuff I mentioned. would writing riffs with all these components in a few bars be too much ? can I switch modes more often when staying in the key of A?

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

It doesn't matter. If it sounds good it is good.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You can do whatever you want. Theory is essentially giving names to musical expressions. You would call it a parallel modal shift; that’s when you play different modes over the same root note. If you, playing in A Minor, decided to apply the Dorian mode starting on D: then it would just be a modal shift, as it’s in the same key of C Maj/A Min.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes you can. I can't tell you if it sounds good until I hear it, but it could be a cool idea.

Melodic minor, for example, is two different scales.

5. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

The less complicated/specific chords You're playing over the more freedom you have regarding what scales/notes you use.

Try to play over a vamp in A and see how different notes and scales sound over it. Experiment as much as possible.

Hollowway and wheresthefbomb like this.
  6. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

^ ^ ^

Hollowway likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Shoot, I’ll go so far as to say it doesn’t even have to sound good. Sometimes people measure awesomeness by the sheer craziness of the passage. I say do it! The only rule is there are no rules.

8. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Is this an academic exercise? If not, use your ear?

Is your goal to explore theoretical concepts (parallel modes, modal progressions, etc.)?

Personally, I'm not a fan of theory as a prescriptive tool to compose, but if it helps you get unstuck in your composition process by generating ideas to test, then go for it. You do you :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021 at 7:03 AM
  9. Pyramid Gallery

Pyramid Gallery ss.org Irregular

I find this to be very relevant. I want freedom to play whatever, but I don't want it to sound like shit.

Hmmm... well, the more different stuff you cram into one sequence, the more chromatic/chaotic it will sound. Only you may determine if it sounds like shit or not. I guess the only rule of thumb is: experimentation.

I like to mix dorian, harmonic dorian (same key), and lydian (diff key), when doing scale runs. Don't forget key changes: minor chords/scales an aug 4th/dim 5th apart gives that awesome gothic horror sound (think intro to Sepultura's Beneath the remains or Kreator's Coma of Souls

coregod likes this.
  10. coregod

coregod SS.org Regular

im trying to get a certain sound but most of the scales ive heard and learned didnt have that X factor im looking for so i thought that trying different sounds and mixing similar scales together might be helpful

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Speaking personally... I've usually had better luck writing a progression or series of chord changes, and then figuring out what was going on harmonically, than I have sitting down and thinking, "Ok, I'm going to write in A Dorian for two bars, then A Phrygian Dominant for two bars, and then four bars of A Mixolydian."

It's not that theory doesn't matter - far from it - so much as once you have something that sounds good, theory is useful to figure out WHY that is, so you can play over it.

j3ps3 likes this.
  12. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

This. Chord progressions convey emotion better than a certain scale and people should pay more attention to those progressions instead of the scales, IMO.
    I mean, it's good to know your scales but people get too caught up on just thinking about scales and it makes the playing sound less musical.