Mixing after years unactive (looking for feedback)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by torqueofficial, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. torqueofficial

torqueofficial Torque

Hey guys!

So after a long time (about 2-3 years), I have decided it's time for me to come back and start doing some recording and mixes. I'm a "little" bit rusty, and I would highly appreciate any constructive criticism :hbang:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/torqueofficial/riffage-2[/SC]

Particularly, I have been struggling to make my mixes sound more "cohesive". Any suggestions? Cheers!

2. kerska

kerska That guy...

You'll find a lot of people don't seem to leave very much feedback. I've posted a couple times and only get one or two responses at most, but like 100 something views.

I like that riffage, and your playing is clean. What are you using for drums? They sound like complete stock samples, and if I were to suggest something, my first suggestion would be to run your drum program multi out so each drum has it's own track. You can start stylizing each drum on it's own with your EQ/compressors/panning/etc. After you've done each drum on it's own and have them at the levels you want, run all of those into a single AUX drum bus with some multi band compression on there.

Your guitar playing is super clean, and the tone sounds pretty good for what your doing.

I was listening on a laptop so I couldn't hear it well, but do you have a bass in there?

3. WeLikeItHeavy

WeLikeItHeavy SS.org Regular

The mix quality is definitely good. I agree though that the drums sound a little programmed.

The bass was in there, it was just a little quiet. Really my only criticisms are to work on the drum sounds and get the bass to be a little more prominent in the mix.

4. torqueofficial

torqueofficial Torque

@kerska @WeLikeItHeavy thank you very much for your kind comments guys! Drums tracks are already multichannel, though I agree I've got to work on making their sound more "humanize". Also as you said, I have to work on making that bass more present on the mix. Anyways, I ended up recording a small video play-through of it, hope you like it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo6MWhdSOYc