Mix feedback (Splawn Nitro)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by noise in my mind, Jan 18, 2021.

1. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I messed with the mix some more. Hopefully it's better? Maybe it's worse! LOL

2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I think I like the previous one better overall. It felt more full to me. Better well rounded. lol

that's just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

noise in my mind likes this.
  3. noise in my mind

I think this mix sounds less muddy and more polished. The other mix was a lot more raw. Might just be preference at this point?

4. thebeesknees22

yeah pretty much. We're just splitting hairs at this point

5. noise in my mind

lol, It's kinda fun though. I appreciate the help!

6. thebeesknees22

lol np!

I'm hoping to finally get some free time to do another round of practicing writing/mixing soon. If i get something decent I'll throw it up for feedback.

7. noise in my mind

Please do!

8. D_Swint_Guitar

D_Swint_Guitar Note Wrangler

Listening through it now to get a feel for your most recent mix.
    Right away I like the saturated distortion because you kept the clarity of your picking attack intact as much as possible with such a wet sound.

I wouldn't remix it at this point, since you've put so much work into it already. Just take what you've learned and keep creating! Really nice track.

I love the ambient detail in the background. A lot of lead tends to jump out at the listener, but having it mixed back and keeping the rhythm at the forefront creates a spaciousness allowing for the heavy rhythm to just pummel. Sick stuff.

My only two cents from a writing perspective is that because the riffs are so simple it kind of seems like there are supposed to be vocals. I know that's a kind of unpopular opinion since we're all guitar nerds here, but I would advise either adding in denser, layered sections with more complexity or finding a vocalist to collab with! I'm imagining some epic baritone vocals over your track and it's giving me chills.

Either way, I really enjoyed your track, thanks for sharing.

9. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Have only listened to the most recent version from page 2. Sounds pretty good.
    My main issue is that the snare drum is too loud, by a couple of dBs. So try and come at it from this angle: how low (volume fader) can you have the snare without feeling like it is getting drowned out. Right now it seems to sit very much on top of the rest of the mix.

It could also use some more reverb for the snare specifically. Run the reverb on a fx bus, then send to that from the snare, cut the lows before the reverb on the bus (just kill everything under like 500hz with an eq) and boost some highs on that reverb (think 8-10khz here, peak or shelf, try both, boost anywhere from 3 - 10 db, it is just an fx track, don't be afraid to try more extreme settings). This should also help the snare cut though the mix more, so that you can actually have it lower in the mix without disappearing.

You could also experiment with sending overheads or toms to that reverb fx bus, but should probably be avoided for the kick.
    Reverb type doesn't matter too much at this stage (don't worry about it) but if you have choices a plate or room reverb seems to be good starting points.

Listening on Adam A3Xs, so that is my perspective. Hope it helps :)

10. noise in my mind

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I agree with you with the track needing vocals. In fact, to give you a little bit of background on the track, when I first heard the song it was in a dream where I was watching a band on my old ipod (yeah, dreams are weird lol), and there was vocalist singing over the tracks. The name of the band was Godforth and they had an eagle on their album cover. The track I recorded was the fourth or fifth track in the dream. It was last one I heard before I woke up. You are spot on when saying the track needs a vocalist. Maybe I will be able to find someone that wants to do vocals over it.

I agree with you on the snare being too loud. When I get some time I'll try mixing it down and try your suggestions. Thank you for your help!

Sumsar likes this.
  11. noise in my mind

Ok I am sure people are getting annoyed by me at this point, but I tried some of the suggestions and made another mix. I think I might be moving on after this lol.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  12. Muzz

Muzz SS.org Regular

Kicks wayy to loud. Sick bass tone though! Also seems like everything is hard panned bar the snare.

13. noise in my mind

Thanks for the reply and I am glad you like the bass. I'll check the kick. I am not sure about what you are saying about the panning. I want the guitars to sound big and wide for this kind of track.

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Big improvement from the first post. Nice job man! Just needs some vocals now

15. noise in my mind

Thanks dude! You have been of much help and I really appreciate it! Yeah, maybe I'll get one of my friends to do vocals.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    DudeManBrother likes this.