Mix Critique

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MetalheadMC, May 2, 2021.

1. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

2. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

I think maybe the guitar can do with a little less distortion/ EQ some of the really high stuff to fit the cymbals/hats better into the mix. The low mids can probably be taken back a touch to let the kick breathe more without fighting the palm muted notes too much also The drums can use a little compression I thin/?j hope this helps!

MetalheadMC likes this.
  3. MetalheadMC

Thank you for the feedback. I will apply your suggestions and see how it fits:cheers:

4. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

I do agree that the low mids are a bit too full on the guitar, but that's a niiiiice track.

Sounds to me like it's mixed in anticipation of some savage black metal vocals too, which would set it all off perfectly :hbang:

MetalheadMC likes this.
  5. MetalheadMC

That is the plan:deathm:Thank you for listening, and the feedback!

6. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Drums are very buried, it sounds like a guitar player mixed it ;)

kamello and MetalheadMC like this.
  7. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Stop watching Spectresoundstudios

John and MetalheadMC like this.
  8. MetalheadMC

Glen is a trip. He's entertaining. Only thing I've borrowed from him is the Puigtec eq trick. it's helped my "tone" tremendously.

Weird huh...:cool: I set them up the same as the last song. Only thing that makes sense is the low mids on the guitars like others mentioned. Thank you for listening.

9. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

The low mids can afford to be trimmed/cleaned up some more. As-is, the drums sound relatively buried.

MetalheadMC likes this.
  10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

IMO Guitars are way too loud and bury everything. I’d bring them down a few dB, The kick sounds like it could come up a couple dB, and maybe bring the overheads down a touch. It’s hard to gauge anything though because the guitars are too dominant.

MetalheadMC likes this.
  11. MetalheadMC

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/QZydg

Brought the guitars down about -3db, and took out some of the low mids.

I re eq'd the kick, the OH, and the room mics.

Also, doubled the leads, and panned them 50% each way. Singled, and mono had it sticking out too loud on my phone speaker.

12. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Yeah man way better

MetalheadMC likes this.
  13. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Do you have any reference that you want to sound similar to? The shells are still very buried, but that isn't unwanted for some bands/genres.

14. MetalheadMC

I've been listening to a lot of Gojira, and Cannibal Corpse lately. So, they've had a little influence in how my playing has been on a few tracks.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/aW5wP

Here's the first one I did. At this point, I'm getting songs done, and learning something by each new one. Arrangement, parts, chords, mixing techniques, everything.

More lead playing is coming in the newer songs I'm working on now. For these I wanted more of an atmospheric element.
    Vocals will be added to these later to bring them to a full song capacity.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Been meaning to check this out, especially since it seemed very unlikely to be djent.

*the very intro - the china crash cymbal to the left, followed by the abrupt entrance of a rhythm guitar panned hard right and a snare beat down the center, IMO is kind of disorienting even on monitors, much less headphones. Two things coming to mind here, either flip the pan on your two guitar tracks and keep pummeling the left at the very start, or maybe put jjust a tiny bit of ambience on these guitars panned to the center or reversed or something, so when the china drops out and the guitar comes in it doesn't feel like a hole opening on the left speaker?
    *semi-relatedly, when the guitar DOES come in to the left, it comes in very abruptly, like possibly the very beginning of the attack is trimmed off, but at a minimum there's dead silence before the guitar comes in. This has a pretty thrashy-in-a-good-way vibe to it, and while dead silence then guitar may be theoretically "cleaner," IMO this begs for a little bit of feedback before that firtst notye, or a pick scrape, or eben just a short fade-in of some barely audible amp hum before the guitar jumps in. I think this is a situation where something a bit grittier and dirtier fits.
    *speaking of... it's trendy, I hate that t's trendy, and I hate that I'm going to suggest this... but your bass tone here is pretty clear and clean, and given the vibe of the rest of this... sigh. I really want to hear some gritty distorted bass on this tune. :/
    *Listening to the mix you posted Monday, I still think the drums are a little too quiet. IMO, that's more of a drums up than a guitars down.
    *hey! clean breakdown!
    *I mean, shit, this is blastbeats with a humanoid with dear antlers levitating in a grim frostbitten forest. IMO, lean in to the grittier aspects of the production here. 4:45 is another great example, the dynamics here are very on/off, like when a new part comes in, it's just instantaneously there. I think even just something like a quick squeal of microphonic feedback would help mentally set up that transition.
    *I dig that last riff, btw.

MetalheadMC likes this.
  16. MetalheadMC

Been meaning to check this out, especially since it seemed very unlikely to be djent.

*the very intro - the china crash cymbal to the left, followed by the abrupt entrance of a rhythm guitar panned hard right and a snare beat down the center, IMO is kind of disorienting even on monitors, much less headphones. Two things coming to mind here, either flip the pan on your two guitar tracks and keep pummeling the left at the very start, or maybe put jjust a tiny bit of ambience on these guitars panned to the center or reversed or something, so when the china drops out and the guitar comes in it doesn't feel like a hole opening on the left speaker?

Little shit like this is what I really like to hear, and learn about. Stuff I never thought about as far as importance of which guitar panned where, and how it interacts with the drums. I could sense something was off, but couldn't pinpoint. That has to be it.

*semi-relatedly, when the guitar DOES come in to the left, it comes in very abruptly, like possibly the very beginning of the attack is trimmed off, but at a minimum there's dead silence before the guitar comes in. This has a pretty thrashy-in-a-good-way vibe to it, and while dead silence then guitar may be theoretically "cleaner," IMO this begs for a little bit of feedback before that firtst notye, or a pick scrape, or eben just a short fade-in of some barely audible amp hum before the guitar jumps in. I think this is a situation where something a bit grittier and dirtier fits.

I will be playing with this idea as well. Makes perfect sense.

*speaking of... it's trendy, I hate that t's trendy, and I hate that I'm going to suggest this... but your bass tone here is pretty clear and clean, and given the vibe of the rest of this... sigh. I really want to hear some gritty distorted bass on this tune. :/

Wasn't trying to go for a "clean" bass sound except in the clean break. This was distorted bass tone, just not as dirty as it could have been I agree. I'll add more grit to it next time. Definitely wasn't following any known trends to me anyway.

*Listening to the mix you posted Monday, I still think the drums are a little too quiet. IMO, that's more of a drums up than a guitars down.
    *hey! clean breakdown!
    *I mean, shit, this is blastbeats with a humanoid with dear antlers levitating in a grim frostbitten forest. IMO, lean in to the grittier aspects of the production here. 4:45 is another great example, the dynamics here are very on/off, like when a new part comes in, it's just instantaneously there. I think even just something like a quick squeal of microphonic feedback would help mentally set up that transition.

I was going for it to die off, and had the vocals in mind that would sort of drive that transition.

*I dig that last riff, btw.

Thank you, and thank you big time for the ideas. I've been letting the drum fills drive the transitions, but yes I agree more guitar driven nuances will help drive them even more.

Drew likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That was all in the quote, but I was able to follow it. :lol: And don't worry, the clean bass thing is way OFF trend, and honestly I'd love to suggest running with it... but I hate myself for this, but I really want to hear gritty bass here without so much midrange. And THAT is trendy, and I'm ashamed of myself. :lol:

Honestly, you'll probably hate this guy... but I've taken a LOT from listening to Tom Waits tunes. "Mule Variations" is something I keep coming back to where sometimes just really shitty, objectively WRONG thingas sound so fucking cool in a mix that they're worth preserving. I've definitely found myself intentionally overdubbing noise for effect, but at a minimum I think sometimes those little human elements , the hum of an amp or the slight scrape of a hand against the strings, thay you COULD cut out, really add a human element to a performance, and that's awesome.

This quote brought to you by the second strong margarita on an empty stomach. :drew:

MetalheadMC likes this.
  18. MetalheadMC

For the record, I brought the bass down A LOT, almost -15dbs to make it blend and not obnoxious. So yeah probably more grit, and eq the mids out a tad more for a better, hopefully more aggressive blend.

I know Tom lol never listened to him much, but I remember him from years ago. I will listen a little closer to his stuff and hear the natural sounds you're referring to.

I prefer that shit too. That's why I have the rakes, and I overdubbed those a bit on the one song to make them more prominent.

Thanks again for the advice! Enjoy the margaritas :cheers:

Drew likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

/yeah, I think it may just be a matter of the wrong bass tone for this material - I'm getting... like, prog-death vibes, maybe? Sort of a Cynic sort of tone? And I don't think that's maybe the vibe you're after, though of course I could be dead wrong here and if so just tell me and I'll shut up. :lol: But I kinda want to hear this less midrange-y and deeper with some snarl in the top end.

MetalheadMC likes this.
  20. MetalheadMC

Just listened to cynic. I hear that bass tone, and definetly not what I'm going for lol I plan to add more aggressiveness to my songs for a more death metal style vibe. Simply trem picking over double bass doesn't cut it.