mix critique (fruity loops madness)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by skmanga, Nov 25, 2019.

1. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

2. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Sounds good. I can't hear a bass guitar? In the mix or not, you're going to have a little fight between it and the guitars with it EQ'd as is. I'd personally sculpt a little of the low end and mids in the guitars to help the bass and kick stand out a little more. Even with low tunings, the bass needs that room in the low end to make it sound thick. Maybe run a little grind for the bass on an aux channel. That way you can get a little blend happening there. Drums sound like they might be balanced more towards overheads than the mics on each. Whatever the EQ on this snare is, is similar to what I like the sound of. Fat but with some snap to it. I just wouldn't have had as much of the room in it. If sampled, I'd work the blend a little and then run them through a stereo verb to pull them together. I've heard stuff released in the late 90's/early 00's mixed similar to this though. So this might be a sound you're looking for specifically. Without knowing exactly what you did, I could be completely off base though.

skmanga likes this.
  3. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply.
    There is bass there, I'm using boo bass in Fruity Loops.
    I will agree that the bass is a bit bland and blends in with the mix too much. I am going to have to try messing with the EQ some more to get it to pop. Through my monitors I can hear the bass and kick drum fine but I noticed that through a cell phone its non existent which isn't a good thing (cant blame that solely on the shitty cellphone speaker).
    The drums are sampled drums, I am using FPC drums in FL, ill try using a stereo verb on all of the drum channels together see if that helps bring things together.
    I wasn't going for any specific style of mix, just following my ears and working with what I got, while aiming for the best sound I can possibly achieve.

4. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Sounds a lot better. I’ll have to listen on better speakers. But it’s a big improvement.

skmanga likes this.
  6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Enjoying this. I rarely see anyone use FL Studio for any sort of heavy music so I'm all for it

skmanga likes this.
  7. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Haha, I guess it isn't the go to software for metal but ive been using it since I was young. It's where im comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Definitely helps to get more ears on this.

Think I might have to work out and add some lead parts to this mix.