Mishas Sig?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Thorerges, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Figured I could upload a single pic for the time being. Already replaced the knobs to hipshot. image1.jpg

2. Demartan

Demartan SS.org Regular

I still have GAS for the matte white pro and this isn’t making it easier

Mattykoda likes this.
  3. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

It has a certain appeal to it that I find with my matte black usa model. If I didn't have three of the six string models now I'd probably pick up another. Seems hard to beat for the $500 price tag right now.

4. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Thought I could put an update on the white model. Upgraded the tuners to hipshot and changed the saddles to hipshot as well. I had a 6 string bridge but when I did a test fit the string holes did not line up like the original base plate. It cut off about half of the opening so I figured I could swap the saddles for the time being and see how it feels. Honestly there really is not a difference between the stock saddles and the hipshot ones. Changed the nut which I still need to cut, cleaned the fretboard which was dirty as all hell and polished the frets. The frets were horrible which you will see in the picture. Ran 220, 320 and 400 on the edges then micromesh on the frets from 1200-12000. After that I hand polished each fret twice with autosol and they play like stainless now. Next upgrade is pickups which I'm thinking carbon fiber covers, pots and switch then I will be done. The best part is with all the upgrades I will have essentially paid what the original price is because how cheap these are right now.
    IMG_1624.jpg IMG_1632.jpg IMG_1437.jpg IMG_1629.jpg

5. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I have a 6 string in matte gunmetal that I got at the blowout prices and it’s great. Also got the newer model with roasted board and tried one the older black 7’s. Those two were both riddled with QC issues and went back. Since this one is solid it’s getting modded. Got Hipshot tuners and bridge (hopefully I can make that work after reading above) and knobs. Also got a Fishman KSE set to go in it. Although I think I may sell those and just go for Rags.
    [​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum and Mattykoda like this.
  6. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Nice score! These are going quick at that price. Let me know about the hipshot bridge. The string holes could easily be filed with needle files to make it work but I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do yet. How was your fretwork? It took a while to get the tooling marks out of mine.

7. yellowv

My fretwork wasn’t bad just pretty oxidized which makes sense since these have been sitting in boxes since 2017. I just cleaned up the ends a bit and gave them a good polish. As long as the string holes are close I’m sure I can make the bridge work. I’ll just open the holes up a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ImNotAhab likes this.
  8. yellowv

The frets on the 7 string I sent back were bad. They were half crowned and by that I mean crowned on the bass side and flat and rough on the treble side.

9. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Polished, shiny frets satisfy me to a borderline perverse degree.

Spicypickles likes this.
  10. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Yeah the hipshot base plate covered about half of the string holes for me. I would be able to do it but I decided to just put the saddles on for the time being.

11. davidian6811

davidian6811 SS.org Regular

Posted in another thread, might as well be this one

I just got mine about a few weeks back at a blowout. Several issues i have come across
    1. Fret uneven - particularly only at the 21st fret, luckily it was the only one off and a bit of filing down it back to playable in that area
    2. Pickups aren't aligned to the strings, after checking i think the neck pocket was a little off in precision as there is a bottom gap. this didn't bother me but close visual inspection will really look at it as off. Doesn't affect the sound at all
    3. Nut isn't enlarged properly on the D string, keeps catching when tuning, so enlargement and nut lube and its working again
    4. Jack was loose after a few use, i replaced it with a PureTone and tightened it correctly. working as it should

The stock pickups were a bit muddy with my rig, so i have changed them to Dimarzio Titans, much more clearer and precise. I also changed out the tuners to hipshot ones (although the stock ones were pretty awesome already). Knobs to hipshot as well.

Overall it's sorta my all around beater 7 string which is a looker. Can't complain much at the price i got it for. Pics attached

Attached Files:

AkiraSpectrum and Mattykoda like this.
  12. yellowv

Got the bridge and tuners installed. As said the string holes are a bit off, but still plenty of room to pass the string through. I don’t think it will cause an issue. If I have any stability issues or get string breakage I will look at modifying the baseplate. Now to swap the pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum and setsuna7 like this.
  13. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Nice @yellowv! Can you post a pic of the string holes as it sits now? I'm curious what the gap is and if there is a variance on mine.

14. yellowv

Can’t get a good pic, but it’s exactly as you described.

15. yellowv

Turned out awesome. I’m going to start a new thread in the 6 string section.

16. Demartan

Demartan SS.org Regular

If we're sharing hotrodded pro models, finished upgrading mine a while back. What started with the nut breaking ended up as a full hardware/electronics replacement lol
    IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg

Masoo2, Mattykoda and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  17. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Gorgeous guitars guys, glad to see some of you snagging the sick blowout deals on these!

davidian6811, Demartan and yellowv like this.
  18. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

misha do a hot pink one next pls

19. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about the QC issues reported in this thread? Are processes being reworked, anything being done regarding the QC of both the Pros and USA models?

20. yellowv

You should do a Pro model in the satin red, Misha.