Milwaukee Guitar Company

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by spudmunkey, Aug 26, 2019.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Limited product offering, but I'd be interested to try one out. I've been in the market for a 339-style semi-hollow, and I'm kinda digging the "industrial" look, even of the wiring for the piezo coming off their bridge.

https://www.milwaukeeguitars.com/

I do love their pickup selector switch variation on gibson style toggle switch disc. Apparently the nickname for this plastic disc is not allowed here, so..."gibson-style toddle switch disc", it is then.

[​IMG]

I'm anxious to hear more about them, though!!

As it stands right now, I can't even tell if they have sold a single guitar, so...yeah...caveat emperor, or however that goes...

2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

"Inspired by the Franco-Germanic industrial style that is prevalent throughout Milwaukee, our designs pay homage to our City’s historic past."

Logo features a stereotypical North American First Nations chief in headdress.

:spock: :squint:

I mean, the guitars look fine based on a brief perusal, but their marketing aesthetic really reminds me of other companies who transparently cater to the Buy American crowd (see Shinola watches and, of course, Gibson). I'll grant that they don't outright say this and I'm probably projecting, but their company look and style definitely mirrors others who play that card quite shamelessly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

boring. I wanted something distinctly Wisconsin, like a Dahmer or Ed Gein inspired guitar. Or if you're lame, perhaps a Badgers themed one.

4. spudmunkey

Former Wisconsinite here: Milwaukee area takes a lot of pride in both their German and native american histories. That type of headdress can be found i many of the area algonquin-speaking regional tribes, so it's not like they are using symbolism that doesn't represent the region. Like, they aren't using totem poles, etc. There's a fine line between celebrating the area and it's history, and disingenuously using it as a marketing tool. What is that line?

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Fair enough. You clearly know more about the local history of the area, and if you're reasonably certain that this imagery is used out of genuine respect for the heritage and not just a cynical ploy, I can accept that.

6. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Tom Hanks is saddened because cynicism has become our default setting.

spudmunkey likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've never seen or heard of them till now and I've lived and worked in the greater Milwaukee area for the last decade. Needless to say, I peruse just about all the shops in the area. Nothing.

But, I too like the custom made hardware bits. I have a lot of respect for builders who don't just open up the AllParts catalog for almost 100% of not-wood stuff.

That said, the actual guitars, shape and style, do nothing for me.

I should shoot these folks a message on the socials. Maybe give them a look. They've only been around since mid 2017, and are active currently from the looks of it. I dig some of the charity stuff too.

8. spudmunkey

Same. I kinda like the semi-hollow, but their limited range doesn't appeal to my needs/tastes, but I still thought they were at least interesting, especially from their "make everything we can" standpoint, like Deusenberg, etc.

9. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, thanks for posting. No idea these guys were in my backyard.

spudmunkey likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

According to an answer I got from whoever replies on Instagram, the last couple of years has been about making customs and prototyping production models...which are going to start delivery to dealers later this fall.

Screenshot_20200905-160004_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155927_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155806_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155622_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155547_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155508_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155452_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155424_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155359_Instagram.jpg

Samark and Randy like this.
  11. spudmunkey

They have posted photos of this a few times. When I asked if they were borrowing it/of it was the original, or a replica. They said "both". Apparently, they've had access to the original, acquired an original Epiphone that the original "log" was based on, then hand made their own replica, including whatever hardware they needed impressive.

Screenshot_20200905-155739_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200905-155836_Instagram.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Randy likes this.
  12. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Not my thing, but really cool nonetheless!

13. spudmunkey

Yeah, not really an instrument I'd buy, but I absolutely respect what they've got going on, especially with the bespoke hardware.

Looking at the dates of their instagram posts. They've been prototyping and just making customs for over 3 ½ years, before this fall's "production".

14. spudmunkey

15. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I really like the detail work but not the models. I would love to see these guys do a Les Paul Special or an Explorer.

16. spudmunkey

Rob Scallon's recent video features their as-close-as-possible replica of Les Paul's "The Log", even using an original 40s epiphone Zephyr.

(Skip to 10:50 to the relevant segment)

According to their instagram, their own guitars "will now be available". So far, just their "Chief 317" model, in two variants: dual humbuckers, or triple P90s.

Pricing: "In the realm of a ES-355, depending on options"

https://www.milwaukeeguitars.com/chief-317/

upload_2020-10-21_16-55-10.png

upload_2020-10-21_16-57-17.png upload_2020-10-21_16-57-35.png upload_2020-10-21_16-57-56.png

17. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

Another Milwaukee bred person here (East side), I'm pretty happy to have grown up there so I can understand the Miller font etc but I don't see anything on youtube, any sign of them going to NAMM, any link to buy so i guess they're still in stealth mode or something.

18. spudmunkey

They did have the ability to purchase online for a short time. I wonder what changed.

19. MaxOfMetal

Distinctive down in Bay View has them in-stock.

I checked them out, quality is genuinely good, but I didn't bond with anything.

20. spudmunkey