Midi pickup option for multiscale guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vuk Gligorijevic, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Vuk Gligorijevic

Vuk Gligorijevic SS.org Regular

I am building a 6 string electric guitar 24.75" 25.5" scale lengths, the 9th fret is the perpendicular to the fretboard. So the fan will be really minimal in terms of scale difference. My question is should I consider the standard midi pickups on the market as Fishman TriplePlay, Roland GK3... or is the fan to big for them to track the strings? Did anybody try installing midi pickups on multiscale guitar?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've used the RMC saddle option for multi-scale basses and it worked great. It can get expensive though.

Without knowing the exact geometry and spacing it's hard to say what magnetic options would or wouldn't work.

Vuk Gligorijevic likes this.
  3. Vuk Gligorijevic

Saddles are not an option for me since i like my action suuuuuuper low, and as far as i saw these things don't have adjustable height for each string separately. So this would be a no go for me from tweaking the string height point of view. So what would one need to know the space between the strings only? Or is there some other factor coming into play?

4. MaxOfMetal

RMC makes height adjustable saddles. You must have only seen the TOM retrofit or acoustic style.

5. Vuk Gligorijevic

Oh yeah okay then I'll look into RMC some more. Thanks a lot.

6. Vuk Gligorijevic

I went trough their website now. Could not find any midi pickup that can be adjusted for each string individually...

7. MaxOfMetal

8. Vuk Gligorijevic

Hello again, I wrote an email to RMC guys, and straight away I realized that I failed to mention here that it is a headless guitar and of course because of this reason I need a bridge like this so RMC is also not an option. I asked them if the saddles can be mounted on these types of bridges and I'm waiting for the answer.[​IMG]

9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

ABM do headless piezo bridges that you can connect to a Graphtech hexaphonic if that's the kind of system you're looking into?
    I am quite certain however that your small fan will be absolutely no issue for a gk3/fishman. Placed at an angle similar to your fan, the total E-E string spacing will only increase by up to 1.5mm.

Vuk Gligorijevic likes this.