Microtonal Conversion #7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nicomortem, May 2, 2014.

1. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

^ That. Almost all microtonal conversions i see, including the professional ones, look slightly off in the high frets for that reason, even with a fretting accuracy of a fraction of a mm, so your conversion here is decently accurate.

Here's 24ET naming and notation system i use, based on various tuning theorists' suggestions http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/161530-retune-play-quartertone-scales-microtonal-beginners-guide.html

2. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

Really? Well that actually doesn't surprise me, I will have to take a closer look at some other pictures of microtonal guitars so I can see what you're talking about myself. That makes me feel a bit better!:yesway:

3. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

Is it possible to use fretfind2d to create PDFs of a microtonal board?

I'd really like to give this a try but I have no clue about proper fret placement.

4. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

^yes, where it says calculation method on the left side you type in the number of notes per octave :yesway:

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

^ Yeah fretfind2d is what i use for microtonal conversions, so i can help out if necessary. I like to mark the fretboard along both edges, 2 marks per fret helps keep the frets parallel. I set fretfind2d to have no fretboard overhang, as if the strings run down the board edges, then use the 'string 1' and 'string 6' tables (for a 6 string instrument) and the 'to nut' columns. I then also check the positions of the existing 12ET fret slots are where the table says they should be, as a double check.