Microtonal Conversion #7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nicomortem, May 2, 2014.

1. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

2. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

i like the idea of 24 TET as a conversion if only for the sake of being able to keep your normal fret positions and 12 TET abilities, but I'm scared of those mandolin frets at the top :lol: How's that working out for you?

3. nicomortem

The high frets are much easier to play than most people imagine. Some of the frets are so close together that you have to press down two frets at a time, sounding off the highest of the two. I've posted a few videos up on this forum that show guitar leads all played in the upper register on this and also a 6-string 24-tone guitar. Here is a link to the thread with the most recent of them, you can see what I mean starting around the 01:53 mark.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/269623-authentic-arabic-scales.html

4. TylerRay

TylerRay LP Addict

Whoa..

5. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Damn that's outrageous :hbang: It's cool to see that the holding two frets to play one note doesn't create too much friction to have killer bends and vibrato. :shred:

6. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

That is crazy sounding. I love it.

7. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I noticed in the second picture that a few of the slots are slightly too angled, too close together or too far apart, are you noticing any significant discrepancies in the accuracy of the notes due to that?

8. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Which slotting tool are you using?
    I've seen it before somewhere , maybe from StewMac..

9. nicomortem

All my conversions are slightly "off" but this one is the closest I've come to making the frets perfect, the first 2 pics are of the miter box that I had to build which cost over $200, but still not perfect like it might be using a table saw or chop saw to do it. It is incredibly difficult to cut these fret slots absolutely perfect by hand, especially when they are so close together and the slightest deviance looks that much more obvious. As far as intonation goes, I haven't had any issues with it, especially when it comes to the higher notes. I suppose that the distance is so miniscule that the difference isn't audible, it just looks like crap though. Still, all the music I make with this sounds in-tune and I haven't had to worry about it, and when I play the guitar, any standard chords that I play on the added frets sound just as in-tune as they do when I shift the chords to the original frets.

I meticulously measure and re-measure, and I make every effort to make my cuts as accurate as possible, but I still come up short, I don't know if I will ever be able to do these perfect by using a hand-saw. It's very discouraging and embarrassing for me, but luckily it hasn't ever caused any problems with playing the instruments.

10. nicomortem

I bought the miter box from StewMac for around $160 but I had to modify it, it is made to slot frets on a fingerboard before it goes on the neck, and I have to cut my slots on the fingerboard while its attached to the neck. This thing really helped but the frets are still not perfect. :shrug:

11. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

I can surely understand the difficulties of fretting an existing neck. Thanks for the info ;)
    Just to be naughty, I guess you've already seen Tolgahan Çoğulu's adjustable microtonal fretting mechanism:

More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolgahan_Çoğulu, which of course has links to his website.

12. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Nico- wow, that's nuts!

Van- wow, that's more nuts!

13. notasian

notasian SS.org Regular

are there scales that feature microtones? like C## haha if not lets make them!!!! :D

14. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

Buts that's just the D. :(

Jokes/music theory aside, this is really cool. Every time I've heard microtonal stuff, it just sounds weird and doesn't make any sense to me. But your video was really awesome and sounded outta this world!

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

This is super impressive. I feel like I want to spend a six month period only listening to microtonal stuff to train my ear to accept it.

16. nicomortem

So glad I can come on here and have my shit listened to by fellow guitarists, and appreciated. If it weren't for you guys, nobody would ever hear/see anything I do. Thanks.

17. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

I'm so glad I can come on here and listen to shit by fellow guitarists and appreciate it. If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't get to hear raw creativity outside of production music. Thanks.

18. notasian

notasian SS.org Regular

c## is after C# but before D! see its in between!

E,E#,F,F#,gb#,G,G# and so on! we can double the notes haha :D

19. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

20. nicomortem

This link about the trumpet actually shows a way of writing out the notation for quarter-tones, goes right along with what you are saying about the "C##" concept :scratch: It's all a bit confusing, and the tab isn't much easier!