Microphonic pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by jc986, Jun 9, 2019.

1. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

Hey all,

I installed a set of SD Distortions in my Ibanez 7421 about 3 years ago and never had any issues over the first year where I played it pretty heavily. It's been stored in its case in a closet for about a year and a half. I took it out for a rehearsal yesterday and it was pretty much unusable due to screeching feedback anytime the lead channel gain was over 4 or if my overdrive was on. The feedback occurs even if muting the strings and without having even played a note. It occurs on both pickups, all positions. There are no issues with noise or feedback on the clean channel however.

I looked at the wiring and don't see any issues, and everything sounds as expected on clean and dirty (with the exception of the feedback while not playing). I tested with 2 different amps and the same issue occurs with this guitar. All of my other guitars are fine with the same gain levels and settings. Should I just rewire everything? Replace pots and output jack? I find it odd that there'd be an issue with both pickups when it wasn't an issue before.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I mean is it possible for the wax to just degrade over time? Even if the guitar isnt used?

Seems an odd one but i dont know about that. I use active pickups now that dont have this issue.

Maybe take them out and re-wax pot them and use nice new/neat re wiring to be sure?

If that doesnt solve the issue then i would be seriously stumped as to what the issue then would be.

3. jc986

Yeah I'm stumped. I bought the guitar new in late 2016 and replaced the stock pickups with brand new SD Distortions within a month of getting the guitar. It hasn't been exposed to extreme temps or humidity. It worked great for the first year or so I used it. My 7 string band was inactive for a while and this isn't my main 7 so it hasn't really seen any use for a bit. I have spare parts laying around so I guess I'll just do a full rewire but I thought the symptoms were odd.

4. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

did you have a chance to try a different amp, did you try a different cable, are you running through any pedals or effects ? Did you try the same guitar and amp in a different room or area ? Do you have a tube amp?

pickups can go microphonic over time, but it is pretty odd that one would go when it was stored in a climate controlled room. I'd try to absolutely rule out any other parts of your signal chain try to try and isolate it to that specific guitar and one or both pickups.

I have never had to deal with seymour duncan customer service but I'd be willing to bet they would probably repot the pickup for little or no charge especially if you bought the pickup new.

5. jc986

As mentioned in the original post, all my other guitars work fine through my 2 different rigs. Happens at our rehearsal space and at home, definitely isolated to this specific guitar.

I’ll replace all the wiring and if the issue persists I suppose it’s the pickups. Since it started happening with both pickups at the same time, I’m hoping it’s something in common between the two pickups like the output jack or a pot.

jarledge likes this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

That doesn't sound like microphonics

Entirely unpotted and non-hum-cancelling pickups don't usually behave that way, after all