MIC 6505+?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by viifox, Jun 3, 2019.

1. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

There's a local Peavey 6505+ 120 head that I'm thinking about buying. I'm just wondering how the new Chinese ones are as far as sound and build quality go. Thanks.

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

The aight

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

Peavey told me they did not change anything in the design or components. But I struggle to believe that, since they destroyed Budda amps when they bought them. And I know the MIC 6505 112 was garbage compared to the USA ones.

With that said they’ve always been one of the most durable amps ever made and I haven’t heard of high failure rates or anything. Check the Peavey forum and see if there’s been any complaints.

viifox likes this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The MIC 112 was a slightly different circuit, with a different board, different chassis, different transformers, etc. It was built as a budget option and it's quality reflects that. (still a decent amp tho)

If they are building the same amp as the USA ones to the same spec and with the same QC, they should come out just as good.

5. USMarine75

It was never ever advertised that way. There were many that were very upset when they bought one and A/B’d them and discovered this truth.

Moreover, Hartley Peavey’s argument was that with the “CNC technology he pioneered”, his guitars would be equal quality whether made in US, Korea, or China (like the amps). The initial Korean guitars were terrible. Locally sourced and machined metal parts were low quality and had terrible QC - trem and tuners notably. Rough fretwork, low quality wood bodies with cheap fotoquilt tops. The Chinese ones were also cheap feeling with similar issues.

Much like B52 amps, they did sound actually quite good for the money, but had quality/failure issues.

Chinese soldering is very poor in comparison and they use the lowest quality electronic components with wide tolerances... so you may get a good one, or not.

I do believe this has improved as of late, because I’ve heard much less negative experiences with respect to Joyo, Nux, etc.... so maybe.

Notice there’s no mention where they’re made. Nor any mention of it being a budget alternative. This is a more modern ad and links, but they never disclosed it except when they had to and they were in full spin control (especially after Undercover Boss).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505112C--peavey-6505-plus-60-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp

937051A4-8FF1-454F-AA41-5471AA450BF6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    viifox and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I wouldn't be surprised if the sound isn't much different, but the quality is spotty. I've heard less than stellar things about the QC of the 6505 112 and some of the MH heads.

viifox likes this.
  7. USMarine75

I know the old ones sounded slightly different. But then again... Less tubes and only one shitty Sheffield speaker.

These might sound similar. IIRC I think they retooled the 112 to be the same as the 212 but literally just with one less speaker now? Maybe I’m wrong. But I’ve soured on Peavey (as a guy who has 65+ Peavey guitars and 4 of their amps lol) since they closed the Meridian, MS shop and moved everything to China. The Invective is still on my list, but hard to justify when at that price I bought a KSR Ares with custom tolex instead.

8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I have a first gen 6505MH head (the ones with issues), and I've only ever had it shit out on me after I'd been playing on 20 watt mode for about 6 hours straight (sitting at home on a weekend playing)

9. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I have a mic 6505 and I prefer it tonally to my old block letter 5150 I had. I’ve had it for about a year now and so far no reliability issues. One difference between any other stock 5150 or 6505 I’ve had is that the bias is actually pretty high compared to what I’ve seen out of others. I’m reading 32.6ma per tube with the stock mid range Ruby 6L6GCMSTR.

Not sure if all the newer MIC 6505’s are like this or if I got a fluke but I’m very happy with the tone and it seems to be just as solid as an original block letter 5150 I used to have and a couple MIA 6505+ I’ve owned. Obviously, time will tell if the MIC will hold up long term but I see no glaring issues with mine. I’ve giggled and rehearsed with it steadily for the past 5-6 months.

viifox likes this.