Metallica Ruining Other People's Music

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by evade, Nov 13, 2021.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Unless they’re selling stolen laptops or grooming preteens… Hating on bands is like hating on your 1st cousin for not having sex with you.

2. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

RevDrucifer and LostTheTone like this.
  3. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Suing a insurer isn't quite the same as suing fans or websites or whatever else people sometimes try to sue.

A lot of people have discovered, to their significant financial loss, that the policies they were sold to avoid the risk of cancellation didn't actually cover any of the primary causes of cancellation. Theres a lot of pissed off businesses (and individuals) who were stiffed by insurance companies due to Covid and the insurers effectively said "Don't like it? Sue us" because the cost of suing a big insurer with law firms on retainer is more expensive than taking the hit. You would have to float millions of dollars for several years, and then when you win have the other guy pay your costs and punitive damage.

Most people just won't bother, but really big acts can much more obviously show financial damages and also have the kind of cash to bankroll these cases.

Frankly, I hope Metallica fucking demolishes them, like they demolished Napster. I know it's not a popular thing to say, but they were in the right last time too.

4. mmr007

mmr007 (anti)Social Influencer

[​IMG]

If you offer your 1st cousin stolen laptops in exchange for sex where do you rank on the hate scale? Higher or lower than Limp Bizkit?

USMarine75 likes this.
  5. LostTheTone

It depends whether the first cousin accepts the offer or not.

6. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I take it you were one of the people people "bought" Johnny Craig's macbook?

aesthyrian and USMarine75 like this.
  7. evade

evade enthusiast

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-were-still-right-about-suing-napster-630185/

I'm not going to cover the multi-faced argument about why people were upset over this, but I'm hoping you can see both sides.

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/19/do...set_the_tone_for_todays_crummy_digital_deals/

After all that...

??

8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Dude. I am not sure how removed from the business world you are, but Metallica suing Napster is how Spotify even became possible.

Napster was a P2P platform to Robin Hood music around. It was not only technically theft.

Sure a few early internet kids will always complain how their Buccaneer-Lifestyle was taken from them and how it is not fair and the world sucks, but in the end they stole something and gave it around so that their theft multiplied.

After Napster companies had to go the legal way to make distribution of digital music a thing.

Sure, Spotify isn't a perfect solution. Far from it, but it is legal. Napster wasn't.

And finally: Metallica is not just a band. It is a company. It is a huge machinery with hundreds of employees making millions of bucks. Suying anyone for financial losses is not only reasonable it is how big companies keep staying big companies.

Lars, James, Kirk and Robert are four dudes making music. Metallica is a legal name that lets them do their music and organizes all the money that flows through it.

There is no "Lars suying someone". Lars is a media voice that says who and what Metallica's lawyers are suying as he is basically the CEO of his company. And Lars the CEO only shares the name with Lars the drummer in his garage band that somehow became a huge success.

9. LostTheTone

The only people who complained were literally kids; people who didn't know that Napster was not the only file sharing service and had never considered that Napster's approach was blatantly illegal too.

If you were 12 or 13 when Napster was big then it felt like a huge deal. But anyone who refused to pay for music found other ways to continue sharing it, and everyone making such software learned really valuable lessons about decentralisation and the need to at least consult a lawyer about DMCA and copyright issues.

The true "pirates life for me" crowd should remember that their movement really started with The Pirate Bay and BitTorrent. BitTorrent isn't the best way to share files online, its just the only way to do so that is robust and (at this point) effectively immune to litigation.

It should also be noted that Metallica didn't just wake up one day and decide to sue Napster. They sued Napster because I Disappear was being shared widely before it's official release. Sharing stuff that is a commercial offering, but earlier and for free than that product is available, is just not cricket.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  10. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

This thread title is such clickbait and I'm so confused.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

I was more of a Kazaa guy anyways.

CTID and aesthyrian like this.
  12. CTID

CTID SS.org Regular

limewire here, personally. in retrospect, probably much sketchier. i feel like i remember trying to download my band by D12 when i was like 10 years old and getting sketchy ass videos and probably viruses

where did the time go

13. StevenC

My friend just sent me music through MSN Messenger because he had his dad's amazon account to buy whatever CDs he wanted.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

If the copyrighted recordings came out before Megadeth's, doesn't that make Megadeth's version the cover? Even if Mustaine wrote them!

BTW this is the first I heard about Ride the Lightning. Guess it's just one single riff in that song, huh? I can't remember how that song or Wake Up Dead goes well enough to even know what people are talking about.

15. StevenC

Dave claims to have written more than just the "spider chord" bit, like the intro and main riff. Whether he did or not is probably lost to time and relies on the memories of a bunch of old men with substance abuse histories. But a writing credit tends to be a writing credit, not just the portion you wrote, so Dave gets a quarter no matter if he wrote one riff or the whole song.

He also claims other songs he doesn't have credits for like Leper Messiah, citing the slide into chords style as being his thing more than Hetfield (same as in Ride).

You could make the argument that Dave brought The Mechanix to Metallica from his earlier band Panic, who never recorded any music. But I guess that gets more into the question of what is a cover, and probably starts a conversation of ownership of folk songs.

16. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Tbh Napster, Kazaa, and all the rest of those popular p2p networks were pretty garbage. The myth about how horrible MP3 compression is persists to this day, and it has direct roots in those early p2p networks. Lower profile sites with eDonkey links were a far better choice (but eDonkey was kinda shit - took forever to download anything), and the best option were sites and forums with ftp or rapidshare links. Good old days :lol: But yeah, Bittorrent became pretty popular since mid-2000s and it's still the standard to this day.

The funny thing is that piracy is dwindling. I'm dead sure it's not because it's harder to find on anything, but it's more of a hassle than buying, and some media can be streamed nowadays (illegally too though). Just doesn't make as much sense to download albums when you have services like Spotify where (very likely) everything you want to listen to is readily available, and you can install it on your mobile devices too. Same with video streaming - Netflix is what, 10$ a month? It's down to convenience. Video games are a good example too - Steam is just more convenient than pirating.

LostTheTone likes this.
  17. LostTheTone

Yeah man, any service where you had to download individual songs of variable quality and volume levels was always garbage. When that was the only thing, then whatever I guess, but it's crazy to think that anyone managed to infringe copyright that way.

And you are right - Piracy has dropped because there are actually legal options. It's crazy to think about it but there legitimately was a time when there was no legal way to download/stream anything. You either had to go to the store and buy a physical copy, or you could steal it off the internet right now for free. And it turns out that "for free" was less of a concern than "right now".

Today I pay for shit because it's generally easier. I have weird tastes in most things and it can be hard to find the stuff I like to pirate. But I can sure as hell get it off Steam or Audible or whatever.

nickgray likes this.
  18. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I kind of liked that chorus but not so much of the rest of the track.