Metallica plays in Antarctica

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Forkface, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

so I found this browsing around. Apparently they did some contest in South America and the winners got transported via ferry to see them live play down there. According to the chick in the beginning of the video, they did this to create awareness about global warming and such. I dunno how true is that, but i'll admit its a pretty cool publicity stunt.
    Oh, they start playing at around the 11 minute mark, before that is some mini-documentary about how cold is it :lol:

2. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Axetallica:lol: Wish the would've played "The Thing" That Should Not Be, being in Antarctica and all.

*EDIT* This was pretty sloppy, maybe it being so cold made it hard to warm up.

3. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

Anyone else find it funny that people around here will slobber and drool over every single person that uses an Axefx but when Metallica does it, they are made fun of and talked shit on? Axefx have a billion practical uses,,, not just Djent.

That said,,, to be honest, I think they or their techs sure could have spent more time on the tones for this show, they sound pretty craptastic. Could just be the way it was recorded but it's pretty hard to mess up the recording of an axefx haha

4. JoshuaVonFlash

Thank you, talk about a double standard.

5. themike

themike Chug Life

I didnt read any comments but you have to agree that the tone in the video does NOT sound remotely close to their Diezel/Mesa and Mesa/Fortin set up. And I'm not talking about playing or tightness, simply the tone. It's not bad but it's not "Metallica Big". We're not talking about just any band, I mean those guys are the kings of tone. I still cry because I can't have the Black Album tone exactly :lol: :2c:

6. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

I completely agree that the tones sucked, seems that someone could have sat down with the units and dialed in something worth using. In fact I am positive there's some factory presets that sound better than that.

But what I am talking about is the people in here that are like "OMFG did you hear that random dude from (pluralized one word band name) has the best rig ever, its unreal". But even when Metallica was said to be just buying the units, the shit talking was endless.

7. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

Well, all things considered... they played pretty decently for a -15/-20 Celsius temperature :lol: and imagine taking all your gear with you? if anything, they should the level of convenience that can be achieved with an axefx.

8. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

A whole set in Antarctica, and they didn't play Trapped Under Ice. :noplease:

9. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

HAHAHH didn't noticed that, i guess they're not too big on puns :rofl:

10. JoshuaVonFlash

True it sounds like Metallica light, they probably didn't put much time into tweaking the patches but than again this concert was FREE:hbang: as, far as I know, but yeah it doesn't have that massive arena sound they're known for. A little off topic here but why is there always someone on youtube or something Metallica related have to complain about Lar's drumming, he's obviously not a Dave Lombardo or a Mike Portnoy. But he's at least competent and can keep a rhythm, if he was playing blast beats and syncopated rhythms all over the place the music wouldn't sound right, he's the right drummer for Metallica. Besides he's more than made it up for it in terms of being a business savy person, and appearentely by the looks of the song credits in Metallica's albums he writes a great deal of music along with James for the band.

11. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

Are those some solar powered AxeFX's?

The future is here ;)

12. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

In the 80s Lars was flat out one of the best drummers in metal by far. Sure he has gotten a bit lazy, old and sloppy but there's a lot of respect deserved for his work on Kill em all through the black album.

I think all the hate comes from people that see the evolution of metal drumming and that drumming makes guys like Lars and Lombardo etc look obsolete. Being that they either weren't alive or listening to metal during the hay day of thrash, they don't respect it as much. It's like kids looking at a giant cell phone or a giant portable phone with the metal antenna, it's a joke to them but for those that were there in the era, that shit was awesome in those days haha

You also have to add the universe of people that STILL whine about Lars and Napster etc. Sure he's a douche publicly but trust me, a LOT of metal musicians are douches which is unfortunate, they are just not as public about it. Gene Hoglan for example,,, MASSIVE dick head, yet everyone loves the guy.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Dave Lombardo is generally viewed as being on a whole other planet than Lars. Lombardo played drums on Testament - The Gathering, on which he went absolutely beast-mode. Lars hasn't done anything approaching that.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. However, Lombardo has managed to stay relevant (even if his name will always be the more obscure of the two) while Lars has been relegated to being a legend of the past.

It is funny that you mention Metallica and especially Lars fight against filesharing. I'll freely admit that my young self thought he was just being a tremendous money-grubbing asshole when the whole Napster thing happened. In hindsight, I think he was actually more right than wrong.

14. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

The Metallica guitar techs spent time with the Fractal Audio team, creating patches based on tone matches + IRs of their live rig.

From the design engineer at Fractal Audio:

"James' heavy rhythm patch is based on his most recently used "traditional" rig. Blend of Mesa/Boogie and Diezel amp models. IR Capture and Tone Matching were both used. And finally a James and Chad (James' guitar tech) tweaking session to nail down the final sound. "

15. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

Lombardo needing to do double bass parts separate from the main drumming on Slayer records lost him some respect. Lombardo also overplayed a bit for my liking, Lars was more of a tasteful / less flashy player but always managed to add just the right amount of flash in the right spots to satisfy. Plus there's the addition of his arrangements and variations between songs rather than just pure speed being something to separate the two. I think they were both terrific players and still are even if Lars has lost a few steps and Lombardo doesn't want to play metal anymore.

Agreed on the Lars / file sharing, but I also was never against him on it apart from the fact that their initial popularity was in small part to the thrash tape trading in the 80s. Lars actually ran a tape trading ring in his younger days that spanned all over the world and helped a lot of bands gain popularity. So that was hypocritical.

16. SandyRavage

SandyRavage SS.org Regular

Seriously that guitar tone was horrendous....I was super disappointed with this one....cool idea on paper but much like communism failed in reality.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It obviously doesn't count it they aren't also using BKPs.

18. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

lol metallica is like a real-life deathklok

19. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Ironically enough there's a lot of great metal producers that prefer to track this way now.

Btw Hatesphere rule!

20. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

No lundgrens either... :lol: