Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct - Album 11/18/16

failsafe306

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't think he EVER recorded anything other than solos going all the way back to when he joined the band. James and Lars (and Cliff and Dave Mustaine, back in the beginning) always did all the writing and recording anyway. Outside of the solos, you're typically getting James on both channels.
Kirk played rhythm on Load/Reload I believe.

failsafe306

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The one thing I would love to find out is what all that material was that he says he lost when he lost his cell phone last year. It's flabbergasting to me he wouldn't have something like that backed up three-fold.
I wonder if it is all backed up on iCloud and Kirk is just oblivious to it.:lol:

MrPepperoniNipples

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
His solos are so phoned in that I am pretty sure he doesn't even want to play guitar anymore and only do so because he is in ....ing Metallica.

I always thought this. Doesn't seem like he really cares anymore. The leads on Hardwired are just lazy.

At least in the 90s he was playing stuff somewhat coherent

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Well, look, we can all go back to the old argument that he's just never been that great of a guitarist. If anything, he's extremely one-dimensional. What we got here is just Kirk being Kirk. Lots of Kirk licks, wah and phrasing.

Sorry, but that doesn't cut the mustard for me. Kirk is capable of much more than what he gave us on Hardwired. This is the same guy who cut some real rippers on past records. He's dipped into all kinds of scales and techniques (he even used to sweep, for f**k's sake) when doing his leads. Most of his solos are memorable in their own way, they fit into the songs perfectly, and the best ones don't even use wah. We didn't get Kirk being Kirk. We got Kirk being lazy and getting coaching from Lars.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Kirk has recorded some of the most iconic solos in metal history, it's safe to say that he's capable but just stopped giving a sh!t

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree with what many others have said in regards to Kirk just being lazy and not really caring anymore.
It just sounds obvious to me that he never practices or researches other material/techniques etc. I'd say the only time he ever plays is when they play shows. I think he spends most of his free time pursuing his many other interests. Which is fine, good for him, but just disappointing for Metallica fans expecting a couple of cool solos on a new album.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Oh and Kirk has written some awesome riffs too. Apparently the "Die, by my hand... " -part in Creeping Death was written by him, and the main riff of Enter Sandman is too (Lars helped arrange it as it is though, originally the beginning didn't repeat three times like it does now).

Fraz666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, look, we can all go back to the old argument that he's just never been that great of a guitarist.
no.
until the Black Album was great, one of the best in metal.
if you consider each of their albums per year, his solos were nothing but amazing. epic.

but I think we agree that in the last 20 years he disappeared.
it's a shame

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a hardcore Hammett basher. Like, I can barely find anything redeeming solos he's done since 1995.

But Kirk was ....ing amazing from 1984 - 1991. When he was actually interested in playing, or he was pushed, the dude wrote memorable solos and riffs. He wasn't on the level of Vai or anyone like that, but he knew how to write and play a hook.

So get the .... out with that "Kirk was never good' ..... :rofl: The reason I dislike him so much nowadays is because he CAN be good, but doesn't care or try.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ Yeah, I agree. If you listen to the first few albums he actually had quite good technique - He could play really fast and accurate and wrote some good solos that really fit the songs. Now he's sloppy and somehow manages to fumble parts of solos he's probably played 10,000 times.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
There are quite a few solos on the new album that i really dig, but similar to Lars' drumming there are parts that I feel could be alot better and sound like he settled for mediocrity.

Kirk is definitely not the same player he was say circa 1991, definitely not as precise and clean as he used to be, but from his interviews it doesn't sound like he's "trying" any less. He talks about getting his chops up the night before every solo session. I think alot of it is just a different approach this time that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

one interesting thing he mentioned is that he recently stopped drinking and said something about practicing better now or something along those lines - so who knows, he may improve, but if he doesn't and just declines as he gets older, so be it. At this point he's basically playing with house money, if he busted out some epic shredder solo ala Alex Skolnick or something on the next album, i'd be floored.

sonofabias

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really struggle with what you guys see in this music? Second hand riffs predictable vocals poor leads and Lars. Ffs is the metal equivalent of America's got Talent.
Far worse than the new Megadeth or Testament albums. To give some ballpark comparators.

:agreed: I found it boring and a " rehash " of older material . JMHO:wavey:

SDMFVan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also think it's important to remember that Kirk is now a guy in his 50's. No matter how much he practices he's NEVER going to have the speed he did in his 20's, it's just a side effect of aging. It's the same reason people can't play pro sports into their 40's.

Also, this is the greatest Kirk moment of all time. I love how angry Bob Rock gets at him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0Wb-RHQAQ

Rawkmann

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also think it's important to remember that Kirk is now a guy in his 50's. No matter how much he practices he's NEVER going to have the speed he did in his 20's, it's just a side effect of aging. It's the same reason people can't play pro sports into their 40's.

You can't compare pro sports to guitar playing though. If Kirk had actually practiced all these years instead of being comfortable enough at his current skill level there's no reason he shouldn't be a drastically better guitar player now than he was back in the 80s. If he was in his 70s or 80s and had chronic arthritis or some other debilitating disease I could understand.

BouhZik

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Also, this is the greatest Kirk moment of all time. I love how angry Bob Rock gets at him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0Wb-RHQAQ

Tell this to yngwie, satriani, vai etc... if speed and skill at guitar decay with age, then it did faster with Kirk than those guys. Damn I think Vai is way better now than in the 90's.