Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct - Album 11/18/16

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Is that the general consensus? I mean, the drummer in my old band used to make fun of Lars (Even though Lars could own him) and said "every drummer makes fun of him" but to me, and I've never played drums I always felt that he was pretty good. Maybe not recently but the drum work on AJFA always stuck with me as amazing.

Nope, it's a cliche view that not only ignores the fact that Lars is a key part of the Metallica sound with his playing and literally his performance, but also that Lars is the co-writer of every Metallica song in history.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nope, it's a cliche view that not only ignores the fact that Lars is a key part of the Metallica sound with his playing and literally his performance, but also that Lars is the co-writer of every Metallica song in history.

Also he's a key to the business component of metallica. Yes they had legendary albums, but they know how to market themselves which is a large part of their success.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Also he's a key to the business component of metallica. Yes they had legendary albums, but they know how to market themselves which is a large part of their success.

Yeah absolutely. The literal cleanness of the parts and playing is a small part of the total package. Additionally, the push and pull he and Hetfield have is part of what makes their live shows such an edge-of-the-seat rush.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely. The literal cleanness of the parts and playing is a small part of the total package. Additionally, the push and pull he and Hetfield have is part of what makes their live shows such an edge-of-the-seat rush.

I am reminded of the historically constant dumping on Ringo. I saw that Beatles documentary recently, and that guy deserves a re-evaluation. Killing at shows like the stadium ones where they couldn't hear each other and still sounded tight as **** are a lot more important than him being a technical god with intricate parts, IMO! Lars might be a different case as sometimes he actively screws up, but hey.

This all said, I still love this and think it's my favorite musical parody of all time:

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah crap, you can't delete posts anymore? DOUBLE POST FTL.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Is that the general consensus? I mean, the drummer in my old band used to make fun of Lars (Even though Lars could own him) and said "every drummer makes fun of him" but to me, and I've never played drums I always felt that he was pretty good. Maybe not recently but the drum work on AJFA always stuck with me as amazing.

Yeah I always liked the drumming on Justice. Drums aren't usually something I remember when listening to an album but there are some drumming parts on Justice I always look forward to hearing.

That being said, Ulrich has some awkward sounding fills usually when playing live. In the VH-1 Behind The Music episode, Ron McGovney (I think it was him) described Ulrich's drumming...that's how some of his fills sound while playing live even today.

@ the 7 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZfdaDS1zuI

Sorry. I always forget how to properly post Youtube videos here.

thedonal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had my first listen yesterday.

Kind of liked it but it will take a few listens I reckon.

My first impression is that I prefer the sound to Death Magnetic, but preferred the songs on that album. Time will tell.

Tuned

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Listened to the album a few times. Alrighty... been there heard that. Not bad, but not so much encouraging. Some songs are mediocre and some are... well, Metallica. Not in a good way like their chef d'oevres, but not in a bad way either like you've heard it all before. As it is, it rather makes me think of a producer telling the band to listen to these few songs and make a weighed commercial resemblance of them.

On a side note, it is odd people say Death Magnetic was better. That was an album that didn't pluck a string in me. And that grave on the album sleeve looks a very unpleasant looking c**t.

thedonal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It feels like their writing has frequently settled into a kind of repetitive tribal aggression/angst/battle scarred tribal chant for a biker rally. Lots of repeated statements.

Now- I'm not against biker rallies at all (rather miss my old wheels to be honest), or any of the above, but when you listen particularly to the writing and arrangements on the lightning-Justice albums, there's so much going on there.

I know they felt like they really overdid a lot of Justice, but it was truly amazing, ground breaking and really influential. And I also know they've done a lot and you can forgive them this as let's face it- they've done all that and given us some truly awesome albums. But I still feel that they're more intelligent and can do better.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I still get sad when I think about Justice, it could've easily been the best album in their discography if only Lars hadn't been a complete dip.... and turned down Jasons bass tracks just because he wanted his drums to be heard more. That pretty much single handedly ruined Jasons reputation and a large part of metal history, too. :noplease:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I still get sad when I think about Justice, it could've easily been the best album in their discography if only Lars hadn't been a complete dip.... and turned down Jasons bass tracks just because he wanted his drums to be heard more. That pretty much single handedly ruined Jasons reputation and a large part of metal history, too. :noplease:

It's the best in their discography for me. And for lots of people. People who complain about the production belong in Room 101, it's sooooooooooo played out by now. It's part of the damn sound of the record, it's integral, all there is to it.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Now- I'm not against biker rallies at all (rather miss my old wheels to be honest), or any of the above, but when you listen particularly to the writing and arrangements on the lightning-Justice albums, there's so much going on there.

What's so crazy about the arrangements on Lightning? Serious question, haven't listened to it in a while.

thedonal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's so crazy about the arrangements on Lightning? Serious question, haven't listened to it in a while.

I wouldn't say crazy- though I think it was a big leap from Kill Em All. But also, there was a lot of diversity- if you compare Fight Fire with Fire, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade to Black and Ktulu, there is a lot of diversity in the writing. Arrangement wise and general songwriting it was a big, ambitious leap from Kill... Lots of harmony guitars, more layers, that lovely intro to the album and so on.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
It's the best in their discography for me. And for lots of people. People who complain about the production belong in Room 101, it's sooooooooooo played out by now. It's part of the damn sound of the record, it's integral, all there is to it.
Just saying it's "integral" doesn't mean it's good or can't be better. It's in my top 3 of their albums but it would undoubtedly be #1 if Lars didn't mess with it.

Listen to the work Jason put in that just got nullified by Lars.

Fraz666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Justice is my favourite. of all times.
The production could have been better but it gave him a special touch, a special mood

btw, Hardwired still grows on me, now I like every song

Majkel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wish Kirk got some idea in, rather than just the solos :(

But he didn't even get any ideas into his own solos this time around...

The "I'm just going to play off the cuff" mentality he stated for this record, the fact that he chose to sit out the writing sessions entirely (as stated by Lars in the Studio Q interview), and that Helpless video a page or two back... My respect for that dude is just gone at this point.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
But he didn't even get any ideas into his own solos this time around...

The "I'm just going to play off the cuff" mentality he stated for this record, the fact that he chose to sit out the writing sessions entirely (as stated by Lars in the Studio Q interview), and that Helpless video a page or two back... My respect for that dude is just gone at this point.
Dude, you had respect for this hack even after the I Disappear solo?

Kirk is the hack of all hacks.

Edit: I just went back and listened to the steaming pile of .... that is that song and my hatred for Metallica is back in full force.

Rawkmann

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I understand that Kirk isn't exactly Yngwie skill wise, but You'd think the guy could at least write something with a little melody that fits the song. I'm not a big Metallica guy in the least, but I do acknowledge there is some solid material on this album, but Kirk really drops the ball here. Some guys can get away with doing the whole 'off the cuff' thing, but Kirk, You aren't one of those people.

Unleash The Fury

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I understand that Kirk isn't exactly Yngwie skill wise, but You'd think the guy could at least write something with a little melody that fits the song. I'm not a big Metallica guy in the least, but I do acknowledge there is some solid material on this album, but Kirk really drops the ball here. Some guys can get away with doing the whole 'off the cuff' thing, but Kirk, You aren't one of those people.

Huge Yngwie fan here, and even I can say that Yngwie hasn't written a good solo that fit the song in YEARS.