Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct - Album 11/18/16

Doug N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is pretty good, in my opinion it's better than everything they've done since the Black album. Not a big fan of Load/Reload and the rest, my favorites are MoP and AJFA. Maybe it's because I'm old but it's funny when anyone complains about Ulrich's playing - those complaints have been expressed ad infinitum every time they release an album.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I plan on picking the album up. I've enjoyed most of what I've heard from the YouTube videos they put out.

In case anyone forgot... look up Live .... Binge and Purge live in Seattle

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I liked it at first but it just keeps getting better for me. I like it a lot. I haven't listened to anything else since the 18th.

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
5 songs went down well with me on the first listen itself( Hardwired, atlas, moth, now that we're dead and spit out the bone)
Here comes revenge grew on me slowly
Man unkind and dream no more are middle of the road
Am i savage and murder one are atrocious. What the hell is that solo on murder one ?
Still not sold completely on confusion and halo on fire.

Arsenal12

nub
Reaction score
I bought the two disc version last week.. overall I like it though I feel like they could've dropped some dead weight songs (most of disc 2 basically).

Very impressive releasing 13 or so videos in the last few months.. unfortunately most of them are terrible and do harm to the songs imho. The packaging and "art" is really lame too.. what were they thinking?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So yeah, this album really is a grower. Some of the songs I didn't like before (Now That We're Dead, Am I Savage, Halo on Fire) are really growing on me quickly. Like, while at work yesterday, I couldn't get Now That We're Dead out of my head. :lol:

So yeah, I guess it takes some time. Definitely an 8 once it grows on you. Basically did the opposite for me when I first heard Death Magnetic; loved it at first (probably an 8 at the time), but got quickly bored of it (5 - 6).

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So yeah, this album really is a grower. Some of the songs I didn't like before (Now That We're Dead, Am I Savage, Halo on Fire) are really growing on me quickly. Like, while at work yesterday, I couldn't get Now That We're Dead out of my head. :lol:

So yeah, I guess it takes some time. Definitely an 8 once it grows on you. Basically did the opposite for me when I first heard Death Magnetic; loved it at first (probably an 8 at the time), but got quickly bored of it (5 - 6).

Amen on Now that Were Dead, it grows on you like a fungus. Kick ass tune. Halo on Fire and Confusion are my current "stuck in the head" songs, I'm liking those more.

Manunkind feels like reload filler and limitation showcase for Lars, not a fav. Murder One I kinda like. Here Comes Revenge was on NFL network or sports center the other day, I dig the "Am I Evil" intro on that..

I always look forward to listening to this album, that's a sign of a really good album. Great work.

jibe2015

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so, much like everyone else on this thread, the new album keep growing on me :)

I really enjoy learning some of thoses riffs and songs!
For me, and right this moment, the "stand out" tracks are Moth into flame, halo on fire, spit out the bone, dream no more and atlas rise!

Here is a "part 2" of my favorite riffs !

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I finally started watching more of the videos - amazed that they put out that many videos and there are so many quality, really cool videos in there - i was expecting more of a "quantity, not quality" vibe. But these could go up against some of the best MTV era videos. Here Comes Revenge is fantastic, with some Evil Dead nods in there. I also dig the "Now That We're Dead" artsy camera stuff - it just comes off really well - maybe i just like that song too much. The Murder One video is killer too - they didn't hold back at all on that, surely Lemmy would have approved!

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
My top three favorite tracks on this album are Hardwired, Atlas Rise, and Spit out the Bone.

Hardwired is easily my favorite because it's so quintessential thrash, and I've been starved for this band playing anything that resembles thrash metal in so long that it felt amazing to hear it. And the lyrics for it are awesome. It's just such a good, angry track and hearing it from these guys after all these years really made my day when I first heard it.

I loved Atlas, Rise because it has a mixture of thrash with elements of a thin lizzy/iron maiden/judas priest influence in there. It was such a good performance from Rob with the unison bass lines and you can hear them using their influences and melding them together to make something good. Lyrics were okay, and James' vocals on it were fantastic.

Spit out the Bone is amazing to me mainly for the vocals. The James Hetfield of yester-years is back and sounding so damn aggressive. It's like he realized that people don't listen to him just to hear him (poorly) attempt beautiful tenor clean vocals. People love and admire the dude for his angry, gritty vox that speaks right to the heart of things. I missed the hell out of that and it's finally back.

Two things I hated about every song on this album:

-....ing Lars and his need to be a damn drummer boy on the snare. It's like he forgot that he has various cymbals and toms for a reason. Nah, he'll just paradiddle on the snare for 90%+ of the album and call it a day. Massive fail.

-....ing Hammett and his need to play uninspired solos drenched in so much wah that he may as well just say he's the wah player in the band and not the lead guitarist. I read an interview from ultimate-guitarist about his leads, and he flat out said that he didn't practice or make any beforehand prep for his solos going into the studio because he felt that improvising everything would sound better. He also mentioned that "Lars coached me on the solos". Yeah, let's take advice from the least talented drummer in the industry, despite the fact that you were formally trained by Joe ....ing Satriani. :wallbash:

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Why do they have so many videos out already? Is this what bands do these days? Just wondering.

Also, was the "Like" button removed from this forum?

chiliphil1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish someone would make covers of these songs with better drum parts. I feel like this album would go from great to epic if Lars capitalized on the many opportunities within the songs to get really creative on the drums

Is that the general consensus? I mean, the drummer in my old band used to make fun of Lars (Even though Lars could own him) and said "every drummer makes fun of him" but to me, and I've never played drums I always felt that he was pretty good. Maybe not recently but the drum work on AJFA always stuck with me as amazing.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Is that the general consensus? I mean, the drummer in my old band used to make fun of Lars (Even though Lars could own him) and said "every drummer makes fun of him" but to me, and I've never played drums I always felt that he was pretty good. Maybe not recently but the drum work on AJFA always stuck with me as amazing.

Yeah the fact is he's not an amazing drummer, and at times on this album he really shows his limitations. But he's also the drummer in Metallica, and done a pretty good job at that role over the years. Justice and the Black Album both sound like there's a very good rummer laying down tracks - i actually love the groove on alot of the black album - it sounds like Lars has a killer sense of timing on that album, but if you listen to a few songs on Hardwired (man unkind, Halo on fire), he struggles with timing or groove.

My 2 cents is he's been good at being the drummer of one of the great metal bands of all time, while being limited as a pure drummer - which he admits himself.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry, what is this crap? A punk rock school band would outperform these guys...

I thought you said you never liked metallica, why waste your time watching a video of them?

Yeah, the performance came off as a practice session.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I don't like many bands, but I always watch live videos because they are fun :) This, no. This is cringeworthy.