Metal fashion?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Andless, Feb 3, 2015.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I pretty much only wear my metal shirts to metal shows, or to a dive bar on a saturday afternoon or something like that. To a beer pong party, etc. Otherwise I dress like a normal person. I'm metal enough inside that I don't need to overcompensate. This was also my reasoning for cutting off my long hair.

2. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Yup. Pretty much this ^.

Just caught me off guard for a moment, as this time I had experienced and identified with the opposite position of that part of pop culture albeit arguably quite some time ago. :lol:

Re "metal"; I really don't care about "metalness", in by itself doesn't have any meaning to me, and my own application of music fashion is limited to the occasional concert T-Shirt at most, even back then. Visually people would probably guess I'm in to electronica which is not wrong either.

Musically I used to be really into that style of music up until the late 80:s early 90:s (still play that era now and then through my speakers) and I still happen to draw a lot of inspiration from it when I write music on my own.

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

In the end you should only remove the & in H&M and you feel at home ^____^

I must also say that when I was a teen I drew an insane silly pleasure to go to St.Peter square wearing Black Metal shirts.
    There's indeed this need of trangression, especially when you're still a snotty kid, than it goes when you grow up and only music remains. :)

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I have seen stuff like that sold in stores like Target and Kohls for a while. It's probably inevitable that some store will want to cash in on the popularity at some point. I'm almost 35 and wear a shirt and tie to work everyday. But I still wear metal shirts everywhere else because well... I like metal and black shirts with ugly stuff on them. :nuts:

5. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I wear metal shirts because I want to support the artists that I'm fans of. If I can get it at Target or wherever, thats cool. It will probably save me some money too.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The only problem I see with it is, like Tool t-shirts in the late '90s/early 2000s, the people buying them don't even know what they're buying. When I was 15-19 I'd say a solid 60% of the people with Tool shirts didn't even know they were repping a band. Same goes when I see a hipster 8th grader with a Danzig shirt, but doesn't even understand that "Whats your favorite Danzig song?" is a legitimate question referring to the shirt they are wearing.

7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yeah, it's like buying a sports team shirt that you don't like except for the logo or colors.

8. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

So I guess being able to "shred" is the only remaining viable characteristic we can have? to differentiate ourselves? Call ourselves elites or something?

I have this existential dilemma every f*in day!

To add to that , I hear people diss Pantera for being "wannabe-tough-guy's metal."

Imagine meeting the kid who buys that H&M Slayer shirt and thinks he's so above you cause he's on Sevenstring.org!

Everyone has an Ibanez Prestige? Ok, let's skip to Carvins....oh you have the Koa top?!

(....hmm, do I have $4000 for that Mayonnes? :squint:)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Haha true! I've seen plenty of hipsters in Misfits shirts that have no clue who Glenn is. :hbang:

Similarly... I used to love asking people who were wearing the Darfur shirts back in the day if the knew what country it was in...

tl;dr I hate hipsters

10. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

That's all fine.

Me, I've always been pulled towards alternative stuff. They've for most times been more interesting to me than what makes it into mainstream, with notable exceptions of course.

But when you are 14, full of testosterone and in a band, and you want to play a kind of music that not only sounds great but generates a moral panic over most of the western world? GREAT! Metal couldn't be better (at the time).

Now, I'd argue that "rebellion though music" is long dead. There is absolutely no shock value left in any musical genre what so ever. Twerking at MTV awards hardly counts...

11. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Try media in general. We as a society have seen to many of the horrors that the internet has brought us to be shocked anymore. Hell, a couple of women eating feces was a comedic meme nationwide for a while, so I'd feel safe in saying that we are all jaded as fvck and the only people who get outraged/shocked over things are the people who want to feel that way.

12. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

the best example of metal shirts being worn in a cool/fashionable sense would be - Kenye West wearing a Megadeth shirt and one of the Kardashians wearing a Slayer shirt. I am fairly sure they do not listen to those respective bands. Kanye probably knows of Megadeth, being in the music biz and all but I doubt he is a fan. Not sure why this has become fashionable but maybe some kids that are into the above mentioned celebs research what is on the shirt and become fans.

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

If it bothers people that much, I suppose there's always these.

Heavy metal T-shirts for inoffensive pop stars | Dangerous Minds

[​IMG]

They're not for sale, and I'd imagine they'd lead to every sort of unwanted copyright issue known to man. Though these may exist in some countries like Philippines where copyright knows no bounds...

14. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Given enough time, I guess, revolution becomes a commodity and counter-culture becomes pop culture. It was only a matter of time before it happened to metal.

16. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Hot Topic sells Mayhem shirts now, which would have caused 15 year old me to burn down my mall... now I could care less. Good on them for getting their products out to the widest possible market

17. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Yup. We've seen it before. But to many it happens post mortem (Che, the old communist leaders etc).

18. Force

Force Jackson Addict

I got my first metal shirt ever at Kmart back in 88', Iron Maiden 'Can I Play With Madness'. I didn't care that I got it there, in fact I thought it was awesome.

Not too long back, some high profile women's fashion boutiques had Maiden, Motorhead, Priest, Megadeth & a few others. I found this a little disturbing but who knows, maybe theres a few more metalheads in the world because of it, can't be a bad thing, surely?

19. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

For me wearing a shirt of a band/sports team/whatever, that I don't support/like, is quite against the grain.
    I have had many occasions where I found a really epic shirt and then it is related to some band/some sports team etc, that I really don't listen to/support and I can't wear it, it would be false advertising.

Also some old stuff, I don't really listen to Metallica anymore, since moved from it into new stuff and weird wearing it, even nostalgically

20. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I need that Phil Collins shirt.