Metal fashion?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Andless, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

I recall walking though an H&M store the other day and I found t-shirts in there both saying "Slayer" and "Metallica". :squint:

I also remember thinking w*t the f*k is wrong with this world in seeing them in a mass market clothes store like H&M. :nuts:

Back in the middish 80:s I remember feeling very successful (and quite a bit rebellious) when purchasing Slayer's Show no Mercy in an obscure basement record store. Times change I guess....

:rant:

Is this when I feel really old?

2. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

Band shirts are barely metal fashion. There is a lot of wrong with this world, but shirts appearing in clothing stores is not one of those things. They're merely products, products are supposed to sell, and I'm pretty sure that people want to sell as much of their products as possible. Slayer is huge and Metallica ever more so, so it's only natural that their shirts will appear in large clothing stores. Yes, this is when you feel really old :lol:

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

4. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Burzum merch, coming soon to Target.

5. spn_phoenix_92

spn_phoenix_92 The Black Winter

I seen Walmart is selling Immortal products :lol:

[​IMG]

6. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I think people look at success of bands wrong. Those kids who you remember from playing super aggressive music in the underground are now some of the biggest bands in the world. That's amazing, not what's wrong with the world.

7. Dayn

Dayn silly person

They wanted to be successful and live comfortably. I'd rather they do that than scrape by pretending to be 'metal'.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What's less metal, Metallica and Slayer shirts being sold at H&M or caring that Metallica and Slayer shirts are being sold at H&M? :lol:

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

:lol: :rofl:

10. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Just so I'm clear what prompted you to make this thread, is it that you don't believe that people who buy their clothes at H&M would genuinely enjoy Metallica and Slayer, or simply that H&M is a big-name chain store?

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

*awaiting all the black metal memes about wearing spikes as "metal fashion"*

12. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

I just felt like ranting. It's ok for the bands to make money, I don't object at all, it's their business, I'd sell my t-shirt on H&M if I could, in a heart beat. We all should be happy that the bands have this kind of success.

I guess that my point is that I was slightly rattled by the insight that what I once proudly considered an anti-mainstream statement was now for sale at what could argued to be one of the biggest mainstream symbols of contemporary fashion.

I know, we've seen this with cute sex pistols t-shirts etc before, so should have seen it coming.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I still remember my first day of grad school and the professor pointed out a (hot) girl in the front row that had some kind of a sexy baby-T Beatles shirt on. She asked her what her favorite Beatles song was. She repsonded that she didn't even know they were a band, she just thought the shirt looked cute on her lol.

tl;dr I had sex with a hot Moroccan woman with questionable musical taste

14. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

one step further down the metal standings chart: being in an H&M store :fawk::lol:

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

idk man, I've only been around since '90, but regardless of this H&M thing, for long time when I see someone wearing a Metallica or Slayer shirt I already think of them as kind of mainstream, or maybe even a 'poser' (you get what I mean...). Metallica is just about the most entry level metal band there is, and Slayer isn't very good despite how recognizable they are, so to me the guy in the Slayer shirt is just saying "I'm only into metal insofar as it makes me look tough". Because anyone with real taste in metal would probably be wearing a shirt for a band that's at least a little better than Slayer. I do believe that just about everyone can dig Metallica, though. Wearing a Metallica shirt is kinda like wearing a Beatles shirt, or a Led Zeppelin shirt. To me, at least.

But of course this changed with the age of the wearer. If you've got a decade on me then it might make sense that you're into Slayer since people really grab onto music that's happening in their teenage years.

16. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I was 15, on vacation at the beach.
    I had this Megadeth's "Symphony Of Destruction" shirt (the one with Vic counting skulls) I was sooooooooo damn proud about it (in Italy it wasn't easy to find one at those time) and I felt so cool with it.
    I saw a guy with the same t shirt and it already rubbed me the wrong way, and I was a very violent teen, but I raised the horns \m/ anyway...
    The dude was puzzled, so I got rubbed even wronger and went to ask him if he liked Megadeth...
    When he told me he didn't knew what I was talking about I ripped his shirt to pieces and sent him home bare torso...
    That was like more than 20 years ago...people has always purchased things because they thought they looked cool, even not knowing what they mean.
    I think that many people wearing Che Guevara's shirt don't even know what he did etc...

17. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

A woman made me go. :p

18. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

just breakin balls :hbang:

19. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I like metal because I like metal, not because it's rebellion against teh evil capitalist society (with the help of Satan).
    I have nothing against being considered "mainstream", that would actually be a welcome change I think.

Works both ways, once a metalhead asked me what album cover and what band my Tshirt was. Was just a plain tshirt with a Frazetta drawing on it. No band whatsoever ^^

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:agreed:

I grew out of that long ago.