Meshuggah Megamushthread!! - New Album 3/27/12

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Wingchunwarrior, Jan 21, 2011.

1. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

To be fair, neither were ObZen or Re-Nothing. I mean, the performance was real, but they were triggered sounds.

Catch 33 is also my favorite.

On a side note, I can't believe people say Re-Nothing sounds better than the original. Those drum samples are a far, FAR cry from the awesomeness of the original Nothing drums.

2. goherpsNderp

goherpsNderp no refutin' rasputen

oh don't get me wrong i adore catch 33, but it was almost like one huge song cut into different chapters. it's a whole different kinda beast.

i'm more looking at albums with individual tracks that do their own thing. i first got into meshuggah with chaosphere, and then a buddy showed me DEI right before nothing released. i haven't missed a release since then. it's interesting to look at their progression since around that time.

3. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

This is one heavy album lol. I have to agree with the majority and say that the ending of Stifled is totally something Vangelis would have written for Bladerunner (deckard is a replicant I don't care what Harrison Ford says), and I love it.

But dude, our rage won't die had me fvckin' grooving in my car on the way home. I literally said out loud "this .... fvcking slays" :lol: so much juicy heaviness

4. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Finally, FINALLY getting to listen. It's not djent... it's not prog... definitely not thrash. No, it's f'ing 'SHUGGAH.

Way to go fellas, show all of these young'uns how it's done!

5. fps

fps Kit

Original Nothing crushes the remaster - so much more organic, stranger, more alive, a weird, alien kind of alive on a desert plain a million miles away.

New record is cruuuuuusssshiiinggggggg me so far, oh my god!!!!

6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I like Re-Nothing because of the balls-a-swinging guitar tone

The single notes (ie: Closed Eye Visuals) tear space/time

I'll edit this post later for my thoughts on Violent Sleep of Reason because I'm listening to it now

7. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Meshuggah teaching every single djent band on the planet what 'big dick grooves' mean.

I think this album cements Haake as my favorite metal drummer on the planet, dude sounds like he has 3 legs and 4 arms

8. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Yesssssssss.

Attached Files:

9. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

Ehh... I'm finding it very hard to really jive with this album. I've loved everything they've put out so far but this album just kind of feels a step backwards. The sound is fantastic, I love the way it was produced and it sounds fvcking massive, but the actual writing feels so bland. Most of it feels like 0's with chromatic additions to the rhythm. There were multiple times where I was about to think "Do Not Look Down" was going to play. Maybe I'm just getting too used to poppy melodies or jazzy progressions. Maybe I'm just being incredibly cynical. But after 3 playthroughs, only a couple songs really pop for me and that's really disappointing.

10. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

This album slays so hard. It's just an onslaught of "i don't even know what's going on and i can't begin to comprehend what the drummer is doing" but it's heavy as fvck and disorienting in the best way

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

A step backwards?! What album do you think this sounds like? Do you really think it's less musically interesting than Koloss or Catch 33 or Obzen? There's so much more going on here!

Also, I don't even really know what you were trying to say with the second bold line there. "Most of it feels like 0's with chromatic additions to the rhythm." Huh? You mean you feel like most of it is the rhythm guitars hitting the open strings ("0's") and that the other notes involved are "chromatic additions" (which could refer to ANY NOTES ON THE GUITAR)? What does the "to the rhythm" part mean? Is the complaint that it doesn't fit in logical keys, and you wanted the notes to be mixolydian or aeolian additions or something? Is the complaint they used too many open strings? Or what? That's a difficult sentence to unpack!

12. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

The new album is so good, this is something I definitely am enjoying sinking my teeth into!

13. gorthul

gorthul SS.org Regular

This album slays. I didn't expect them to deliver such a good album after Koloss, which was pretty disappointing to me. But this one is on par with Obzen and Chaosphere in my book!

14. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

^ Koloss was godly, what are you talking about :lol:

On first listen, this album was super dense...liked it, but definitely preferred the second half of it. But upon repeat listens the whole thing is really very good, and I like how conceptually dark it is. Fits with the Goya theme, obviously. But as others have said, it reminds me a bit of Catch 33 in that regard: hard hitting and dark. Unsettling in some parts.

Going to keep working through it before I say anything more. Fantastic work, though! I said before release that I think Meshuggah are better today than perhaps they have been at any other time in their careers, and I feel this album helps to substantiate that claim.

15. Azure

Azure SS.org Regular

Meshuggah absolutely killed it on this one. Clockworks crushes it, didn't think it would be possible to have a new favourite song by them haha.

16. bukkakeONyoMAMA

bukkakeONyoMAMA SS.org Regular

There will be so many axe fxs on ebay after this. Seriously, this album sounds sick. The bass and guitars sound perfect. The drumming is insane. I cant wait for the guitar playthroughs i know you are all working on now.

17. TimothyLeary

TimothyLeary Tune in, Drop out

I don't follow much on the technical stuff. What amps are they using?

18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

They did like a 20 second video venturing into their cave of amps in the studio, if you just imagine a dark room with all the essential metal amps you're about there.

19. TimothyLeary

TimothyLeary Tune in, Drop out

Yeah, I imagined that! :D

Don't know why but now the intro of MonstroCity reminds me of Deftones. I even imagine Chino voice coming up... It's just the beginning though.