Mesa Rectifier Tubes

cmtd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My triple rectifier was made in 2003. I have never had the amp serviced since I bought it new, or changed anything. I gigged/rehearsed with it fairly regularly for about 5 years when I was in a band. Now I just play it at home.

I have it in a shop now having the effect loop changed to serial, and I asked the tech to check out the tubes. I never noticed any changes in the amp or reasons to look into having anything serviced or replaced. There is a bit of noise, but I mostly attribute that to running about 10-12 pedals in front of it. However with it being 14 years old now I'm thinking it might be due for some work. Haven't heard back from the tech yet though on his findings.

I was reading old threads about swapping tubes in the amp and found a lot of varying information. I was considering switching from the 6L6's just to try something different. I was playing with the recto model on my axe fx and swapping in different tubes. I wouldn't mind giving the EL34's a try, but I also like the idea of trying KT88's. The info on eurotubes seems solid, but I've read some serious rebuttals to his info.

Just wondering others experience on running some different tubes in the rectifier.

oracles

Australian in Canada
Reaction score
Throw the amp in EL34 mode and put some KT77's in it.

Leberbs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was about to ask something similar. I have a 2009 model and only had the tube for the effects loop fail on me. Never have I changed any other tubes.

cGoEcYk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A triple rec with KT88's would be nuts. I use 6550's in my Tremoverb and it changed things up a bit. I had to re-EQ how I had it dialed. Seemed like the 6550's (which probably have a flatter freq response than 6L6) added a bit more mids.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Look into getting a power supply recap done. The 15 year mark is 50% longer than the caps rated life. Tubes are either good or bad, a testing machine is the only way to know close to bad they are.