Mesa Mark V vs Engl anything

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by purpledc, Feb 16, 2012.

1. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

I need advice from someone who has had experience with BOTH amps. Im not really looking for "i saw a youtube video and like the engl better type responses". I all ready have a mark V. I love it. The cleans are to die for and an incredible amp. I got it at an amazing price and im happy. To a point. I was really really set on getting an engl before I saw the mesa come up for sale but the mesa was too good to pass up. But I still have the itch for an engl. Im not looking to replace my mark but rather have just another amp. So versatility isnt key. What engl does brutal the best? Im thinking of just getting a fireball as I dont need an extra clean channel just to save money. But if the powerball II is that much better I would spend the extra money. Again all I want it for is super heavy and aggressive music.

Im kinda hoping someone has had both and can give me a comparison. Ive tried youtube and though I really like Olas videos there is so much production I truly dont get a sense of the actual amplifier. I know I dont want one if they are as dry or more dry than the mesa. I think bottom line Is Im never happy and I get bored easily. I mean I have a arsenal of carvin guitars running through a maxon od808 and both a line 6 m5 and m9. Thats not a bad setup. But I still keept thinking the engl would be better. Am I just fuckin crazy or what?

2. EdgeC

EdgeC Songs in C#

IMO if you want brutal, dark and agressive in a simple setup and not needing a boost. Get the FB100. I run mine through a Mesa Recto 412 and it sounds huge and cuts like a knife.

Mate of mine has the Powerball II which i've used multiple times. While it has features coming out the wazoo and more channels etc, it does not have that punch or the agressiveness of the Fireball.

3. jrui

jrui SS.org Regular

for super heavy and aggressive
    you 're describing engl :)
    my fav is always Savage

4. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

I've had an Engl Invader and I currently have a SE E670 and both were very brutal, especially the Special Edition. If you are looking for super tight, over the top distortion, then the Engl is what you want. It's kind of the reason I'm trying to sell mine because I don't really do much that needs that much distortion.

I'm actually wanting to get a Mark V. :lol:

5. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Honestly, Engls are the epitome of dark, heavy, hi-gain, extreme metal tone (at least the typical Engls). That said, the MKV can get just as dark and heavy, just with a little grainier and more open tone. They have less signal path compression and tone compensation, so you would want a boost for the MKV to compete. The MKV definitely takes it in terms of versatility. Tough call... I'd probably stick with the MK.

6. 155

155 SS.org Regular

If you want brutal engl tone get the fb100..

7. evilsaint

evilsaint SS.org Regular

I have Mark V and Powerball II on my hands. Before that, I had ENGL Blackmore and Invader.

To be frank, my Mark V in Ch.3 Extreme mode with super-V graphic EQ setting
    is the most brutal and aggressive tone that I ever have before.:shred:

Just get a Fireball 60 first if you desperate an ENGL. I believe it won't let you down.
    It sounds tight and aggressive just like other ENGLs and slightly saturated than Mark series.

By the way, get an Axe-FX instead if you get bored easily.

[​IMG]

purpledc likes this.
  8. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

I owned a Fireball 100, Mark V, and SE EL34 at the same time for a few months. The Mark V was great, but both ENGLs got me better high gain tones. I've still never found a tube amp I like more than the SE.

9. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

If you're looking to supplement your Mark V, then go for a Fireball IMO.

Blackmores/Savages are fairly similar to the Mesa but not as good, Invaders and SE's are a good call but quite expensive for a second option.

To be honest, the Mark V is so good you'll be able to get pretty damn near any of the tones with a bit of fiddling, you just won't get the super saturated tone as the Mesa is very open.

10. purpledc

Yeah Ive been playing with the graphic more on the mark V and that really seems to turn it into a whole new beast. Mix that with the maxon and its damn good and I love it. My thoughts where I was only going to get a fireball if it was really that much more intense than the mark V. I think I need to get out there and try one to really be sure before dropping the coin on one. I hate nothing more than dropping a large amount of money on a heavy piece of gear thats just gonna go back. The ONLY thing that disappoints me about the mark V is that I wish the mark IV, IIc+ and extreme settings were divided up among the other channels so I could have two ultra high gain sounds and one clean. But the Crunch setting on channel 2 aint no slouch with a boost either. Id love a special edition or a savage or even an invader but I dont want to drop that much coin. What I really really wish is that they would put the fireball 100 preamp circuit into a gigmaster amp. I was thinking gigmaster 30 but that thing only having 1 12ax7 scares me.

11. purpledc

I just did this and it was the closest thing to a religious experience ive ever had. Thank you very much for this. Pm inbound

12. purpledc

Well i couldnt help myself. Found an unreal deal on this forum for a engl Invader 100 and its on its way. I love my mark V but I find that It just way too dry for my liking. Im hoping the invader will have a really aggressive sound to it and a little more compression.

13. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Did you fiddle with the pentode/triode option on ch.3? Triode dials back the punchiness/attack and compresses the signal more, and also try mixing impedances (safely, mind... the manual has great diagrams for this) - the 8ohm output into a 16ohm cab 'darkens' the tone considerably. It sounds wicked. Such a versatile amp, it's taken me 6 months to really get the best out of it.

My new band's EP is tracked with it through a THD Hotplate and into Redwirez Impulses. :shred:

14. purpledc

Yeah man, Ive done all the tricks to get different sounds out of it. Its just a very dry amp. I wanted to try the engl invader because even though the mesa can do brutal with some finesse to me its an amp that you have to choke the shit out of to get it to perform its best. Its not a forgiving amp at all and you need to work at it to get the best out of it. For me I prefer to play more than I tweak and every mesa amp Ive had Ive had to turn knobs more than play. Im not saying the mark V is bad. I love mine but mind you its a love hate relationship. Its like the girlfriend who fucks better after a big fight. Thats all great but Id rather have good sex all the time that great sex every once in awhile. For me to even get close to the sound Im after in my head I have to run in the mark IV mode with the bright switch on and a maxon OD808 in front of the amp. Now I KNOW many people can get the sound THEY want out of a mark V without a boost but I cant. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Just different strokes for different folks. The engl "sound" just seems to focus on exactly what ive been wanting. And I would like to have an amp that owns the sound im after rather than trying to get my mark V to sound like an engl.

15. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

The thought of needing to use a boost with the Mark V makes me cringe a little. :lol:

But yes, different strokes. I know what you mean, though. It can be finicky sometimes. I've never felt the need to crank it to get an awesome tone though, in the bedroom. 3 different wattage modes plus 3 different volume controls = win.

16. evilsaint

evilsaint SS.org Regular

You would definitely get more compression from ENGL agaisnt Mark series dryness.

Invader Ch3 has more aggressive and modern/midscooped tone.
    Both Ch.2 and Ch.4 are saturated and compressed.
    Great amp indeed. Enjoy the amp and MIDI switching function.

17. The Scenic View

The Scenic View SS.org Regular

Throwing my 2 cents here: I tried a Mark V and a PBII when I was on vacation (both cabs with v30s, and the same guitar). I honestly preferred the Mark to the PBII. The Mark had this in your face sound that was very full, chunky, bold, aggressive, and articulate. While the PBII had this processed sound that wasn't sitting right with me. I know lots of people say the Engl's are very compressed which is probably the case. The amp just didn't live up to the Mark in terms of tone (IMO). This is biased but I would recommend the Mark (I own it to this day and keep finding new things about it daily). Don't get me wrong, the PBII is a very cool amp with a nice amount of features, but the Mark just stood out more (it also cut better!). IMO, go with the Mark. But it's all what will suit your needs.

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

why :lol:

19. purpledc

I dont think we are on the same page when talking about a boost. See I dont use a TS type pedal to increase the gain capabilities of an amp. I use one to goose the front end of an amp so that you can actually turn the gain on the amplifier down and get a tighter crisper attack. The Mark V has a lot of gain but IMHO it falls apart when you crank the gain too high.

The thing that really bothers me about that amp though (this is discussed in little detail in the MKV manual) that their is extra gain in the treble and presence controls. If you turn the presence up past 1:30 and same with the presence you get a huge gain boost. But at those settings ears are on the verge of bleeding.

The wattage thing was cool until I discovered that I really dont care for the sound of a low wattage amp that is cranked. I think that works very well for blues and other genres where the "right at the point of break up" sounds are dominant but I dont think lends its self well to metal. Some types but not what I like to play.

The Mark V is a great amp. But even in the manual it say that people play better and more accurate on a mark that most other amps. And that is true. Its is unforgiving. And it will make a fool out of you if you do something foolish. But I like a little bit more wiggle room. I like an amp where I can make a mistake into something beautiful. I also like to use a violent analogy. If you want to bludgeon someone to death grab the mark V. But if you want to cut em to pieces grab the engl. Im a knife kinda guy.

20. purpledc

thanks for the input. Now were on another amp. I picked up an Invader dirt cheap and now Ill be able to hear them side by side and pick the one I want. Even if the engl doesnt work out im guaranteed to get my money back and if it does work out I can sell the mark V.