Mesa Mark Series Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DudeManBrother, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

The 2 big differences are the placement in the circuit and if it is part of the amp, it is running off a much higher voltage... both of which affect the sound. A pedal eq or even a separate rack unit eq won’t sound exactly the same.

The way Hetfield does it with the Mesa custom dual 5 band rack unit is the closest you can get to the real deal Mark heads if using a Triaxis 2:90 rig. Mesa took 2 5 band eqs from Mark heads and put than in a 2 space rack and upped the voltage. This unit does sound better than the Triaxis dynamic-voice pre-set eq.

Not sure about the ones on eBay. Have to check them out.

StevenC likes this.
  2. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

All this Mark talk got my GAS going again and I had to pick one up. I got one of the older Mark IV A amps.

Mesa Mark IV 1.jpg

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I've read that prior to the Mark V, the GEQ was before the FX loop, but the Mark V moved it after. I assume that would apply to the V:25 and V:35 but that's just a wild guess.

Mesa has claimed the GEQ pedal operates internally at the same voltage and uses the same parts as the in-amp GEQ, but there sure are a lot of posters who report that it doesn't sound the same.

IME Mesa loops are hardly transparent, so it's believable to me that an EQ feeding into the loop (or receiving the signal from the loop) would actually sound different than an EQ in the loop.

And if the placement really is important, then the Mark V and JPIIC etc. set to emulate a IIC+ or IV are going to be different than original amps, too.

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

That's in great shape! Congrats

LeftOurEyes likes this.
  5. Trainwreck

Trainwreck SS.org Regular

Congratulations on the Mark iv. Its definitely one of my favorites!!!

LeftOurEyes likes this.
  6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Oops: this is totally wrong. I said it backwards. In the V, the GEQ is before the loop. In all the others, friom glancing at the schematics, seems like the loop is between V2a and V2b. But the GEQ comes after V2b and after the master volume, right before the power amp.

So if you use extreme settings on the GEQ, the pedal v. built-in might sound different if using a pre-V Mark amp. Putting the pedal in the loop might create more clipping into V2b, whereas the built-in GEQ wouldn't do that. I think.

7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Embarrassing, but I always forget that I have this cabinet, since it's been used as an end table for so long
    [​IMG]

But an 8 ohm 2x12 with a V30 and a T75. Sounds really nice with the Mark. More fizz than the quad of 16 ohm G12-65s that I was using, but the V30/T75 seems like a better match for the Mark. Something about the mid range and tighter low end seems to complement the Mark.

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Low volume comparison between the C+ and the III. I am not using the GEQ, pull shift, or pull deep here.

Sorry for the poor timing. I suck.

Something sorta close to Metallica licks:

I didn't spend a ton of time trying to make them sound identical. The III seems edgier/brighter. They're definitely in the same ballpark.

Choop and Captain Butterscotch like this.
  9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The III sounds a touch fuller overall to me, at least in these clips, but they’re quite close.

cardinal likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

I like the III more from the clips. Then again I'm biased since I own a III :lol:

cardinal likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

On (decent) laptop speakers, but I can't hear a difference. :lol:

cardinal likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, if you don't have them to play back to back, I don't know how anyone could tell one from the other. At least when they're set like this.

The III is way brighter if I set the treble and presence the same as the C+. But I just somewhat arbitrarily dialed them down on the III and it sounds very similar. I actually kinda like the extra cut the III can have, but it limits the dynamics a bit since that edginess pervades everything.

The C+ really is super nice, and the III seems for all practical purposes the same as far as I can tell.

Trainwreck likes this.
  13. Trainwreck

What color stripe iii did you use ? I apologize if you had mentioned it before. I have a blue and a red stripe, both mark iii's but different tone wise. The blue is smoother and well rounded but the red can be harsh and noisy at times. Its tameable but the blue is easier to dial in. I'm really curious about the other stripe versions and I'm considering which one to pick up next.

14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Well it's a long story but it appears to be a red stripe. The amp seems to have started life as a no stripe and has that old circuit board, but it now has a red stripe over the power cord and there are added components to the board that seem to match with the schematics that I can find for the red stripe.

15. Trainwreck

Lol, ok gotcha. Some of these are hard to figure out. My blue stripe and my buddies blue stripe have no stripe at all. It wasn't until we ran the serial numbers that we figured out that both were blue stripes. Either way thank you for the vids, its nice to hear other peoples settings.

16. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Settings for the C+ were Volume I, Lead drive, treble, and presence at 7; bass and mids at 2. Pulled both bright knobs. V30/T75 cab. Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup.

I think the III was the same but treble at 5 and the presence at 4 or 5.

Trainwreck likes this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

My blue stripe was the same. Had no stripe but the date on the chassis was dated to the blue stripe era (8/1988)

But yeah I'm possibly cooking up a rig that'll involve the Triaxis. Not cheap. :lol:

Trainwreck, StevenC and cardinal like this.
  18. Trainwreck

Have you tried the Quad Preamp? I had both but sold the Tri and kept the Quad. Its a Mark iic+ and a iii that can be run at the same time. Its sounds huge. Think John Sykes era Whitesnake.

19. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Shameless sharing of Triaxis (mkiic mode, LD2 Yellow) and 2:90.

20. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

Got a Mark Five:35. Damn, this thing sounds good. I've always been a 5150 guy but I'm selling my 5150 III now.