Mesa Mark Series Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DudeManBrother, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Choop

Choop n______n

The red stripe IMO sounds closest to a IIC+ of all the stripes, just judging from clips that I've heard of IIC+ amps and my own red stripe. My blue stripe is noticeably brighter--and some of it can be fixed with EQ, but the red has an inherently smoother sound and feel.

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I could only get the modern metal one to play, but damn that was awesome.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

thanks. The afwayu really made the mk3 sound like a pissed off grindy monster. I haven't found any other pickups that pair so perfectly (for my tastes) with the mk3.
    I reuploaded the thrash clip:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3pr9adh030vmcbc/kramer_mk3_thrash.flac/file
    some other 8 string clips that should work lol :
    https://app.box.com/s/anknbnig23d3dosv24azj4dao3wozgl3
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/42mw12xxqfif3qs/Ktele8Mk3lowmidgain.zip/file
    https://app.box.com/s/m1rpd3l6ac6pn9fvrms0mhhp89d0irgi

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    cardinal likes this.
  4. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Dude we are in the same boat, I'm gasing hard for a Triaxis/G Major setup since I've tried ReAxis and really liked it; my only problem is finding a good power amp that isn't stereo.

From my understanding the first runs of Triaxis didn't have the recto Lead 1, then they added it but it was too bright so the third run had the "fat" mod to make it sound warmer.

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Why do you want a mono power amp when even the G Major will do stereo?

6. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Because I already have a 4x12 and onother one would be a pain to gig with.
    That is the power amp is something like the 2:90 or 2:50.
    I know you can run them mono in 45 and 25 but dunno if it's worth It.

7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Oh, and I'll quote myself to clarify: I tend to run both the IIC+ and this III without engaging the Pull Shift or Pull Deep (I do like the Pull Bright). I've read that in this configuration, this III will sound a lot "more" like the IIC+ (and to me the certainly do sound very similar). From reading about it, it seems that the Pull Shift in particular was implemented differently in the III than the IIC+, so if you're a heavy user of that feature, perhaps you'd notice more of a difference between the two amps. I didn't check because after a few seconds with the Pull Shift on, I hated it and have never bothered to pull it out again.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Based on the Serial # it should have left the factory as a no-stripe or black stripe version. Then someone probably sent it back to modify it to red-stripe specs.

I'd double check the power transformer code printed on the bell end. See the the Simul-Class/Class A switch on the end of the back panel... that denotes it is a DRG model (or at least left the factory as such). So for a DRG to have the Simul-Class switch with a a non-simuclass 100PT would not make sense. DRG = 75W in a red-stripe... HRG = 100W... each with different PTs.

As far as the MKIIC+ goes... the MKIIC+ DRG is not the best one for metal imhe. As you've discovered the MKIII does most metal tones better. The MKIIC++HRG is the "metal-king" of the family... and is what Petrucci uses and is also what the JP-2C is based on... not the MKIIC+ DRG (which is softer, spongier, and not as tight or as fast/responsive when playing).

As an aside, this is what Papa Het back in the day, when he only ran the preamp-out (by-passing the Simul-Class 75W power section, lower power) of his MKIIC++ DRG in to a 100W Marshall power amp... which is closer sounding to the HRG version (albeit all in 1 box with the HRG, no slaving needed). The 100W power section tightens up the sound, and makes the sound more articulate/focused for fast riffing vs the DRG. If indeed Het's amp was a DRG at all... or it might have been a Coli KG or other.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It also helps that Marshalls at the time were using big bottles. 6550s IIRC? Shit ton more headroom than a stock Mark IIC+ power amp.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The PT on this guy seems to say 100-162318. The marking is very hard to read. Conceivably it says 105, but it looks like 100. I'm pretty sure the 100 PT could be used in simulclass or 100 watt amps. The OTs however would have been different, of course.

The IIC+ DRG is a wonderful amp, but yeah: the III is just angrier sounding. But the IIC+ DRG already is pretty angry sounding to me. Both will do metal with ease. Honestly I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't played them back to back.

11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Hmmm... that's weird. Maybe the PT was replaced at some point? Curious to see if the Simul-Class switch is still functional... or if it was converted to HRG specs. IE do the outer pair of power tubes run at full-power or are cut down 10W in output when engaging the Simul-Class switch? Also it might have been internally converted to full-pentode power... if you don't see an added pentode/triode switch near the power tubes. I have a Blue that has an added pentode/triode switch added to increase power to the outer pair of power tubes.

12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The OT says Simul-Class 562003 from 1985 (EIA606-510), so I think it's still a Simul-Class amp. Just appears to have oddly ended up with the 100 power transformer at some point. It sounds great and if size/weight are a significant factor, it definitely is huge and heavy.

The date code on the 100-162318 power transformer is just not really possible for me to read. It kinda looks like 606-6?5, but if I understand the date codes, that makes for a 1986 transformer, which wouldn't make any sense unless it came from 1976 which perhaps is possible but man that was kicking around on somebody's self for a long time before making its way into an early 1986 amp.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Does your 4x12 not do stereo? Loads of them do, but I guess some don't.
    Why not get a power amp that you don't have to turn on both sides, like a 9200?

lurè likes this.
  14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The 2:90 is actually 90 watts per side (and 2:50 is 50 per side), and can safely run in mono, with the other side turned all the way down. It’s an excellent power amp.

r33per, lurè and StevenC like this.
  15. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Mesa 2:50 or vht 2/50/2? I've also heard good things about the VHT.

16. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The VHT’s are less colored than Mesa. Some consider them stiffer as a result. I personally love the color the Mesa adds, but I’d happily use a VHT as well. You really couldn’t go wrong either way.

lurè likes this.
  17. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

I can attest to this. Triaxis/2:90 is a winning combo (pun!). I used to use the Gmaj2 between them, but have since gone all pedals.

Each to their own but I'd recommend an eq pedal in the Triaxis loop - means you don't have to use the Dynamic Voice thing.

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

If I were going to put together a Triaxis rig, I would desperately try to find a Simul Satellite power amp for it. The Simul Satellite is essentially the GEQ and power section of a Mark IV, giving you a real GEQ to use with the Triaxis. And it's also mono for those that don't want to bother with a stereo power amp.

r33per and lurè like this.
  19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's a guy on eBay who sells a cool single rack space unit of two Mark EQs to use with the Triaxis, supposedly how Hetfield does it.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That would be perfect. It would be much much more versatile than the dynamic voice.

Wasn't there something special about the Mesa 5 band EQ that not even the pedal can emulate? I think @Wizard of Ozz could answer that.