Mesa Mark Series Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DudeManBrother, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

This ain't TheGearPage, but still, you're likely to have someone tell you to just get all three. Sorta like I just did.

R34CH likes this.
  2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

The MKIII Green does not sound like the MKIV. The Green sounds like a Blue on steroids. Basically very similar to a Blue HRG. The extra 10W just keeps everything tighter and more focused. A MKIII Blue DRG with an added Pentode/Triode switch will sound similar too. I really like the Blue and Green the best. Not as much a fan of the: no stripe, black dot, black stripe, purple, and red versions.

The MKIV is darker, smoother, and more compressed. Not as raw, mean, narly, and aggressive as the Blue or Green MKIII (brighter and tighter).

I like the MKIII Blue/Green better.
    :deathm: :mf666:

Choop likes this.
  3. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal SS.org Regular

I am forwarding this question here as well.Are there any sound differences between a Mark III blue stripe 60w and the simul class version?

There is a combo i am looking on Reverb and its a 60w version (no simul class) with an EVL speaker.

4. Wizard of Ozz

The 60W MKIII is not bad by any means, just the extra wattage and headroom from the 75W DRG version... or 100W HRG version will give you a tighter more focused bottom end. Better for metal or downtuning. The 60W sounds a little softer, squishier in the bottom. Some will also say the Simul-Class will sound richer and more complex for other styles... but I don't use clean much, and don't play blues, jazz, or country... so I don't care. I would only get a 60W with the graphic eq option... if it is a 60W Blue w/o the graphic eq => pass.

wheelsdeal likes this.
  5. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal SS.org Regular

It has the GEQ plus 2 footswitches.

[​IMG]

6. Wizard of Ozz

Looks good. :deathm:

Grab it... if the price is right. :agreed:

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Are there any preamp pedals that can do the Mark sound and that fast "chunk" in the low end?

Aside from an HX Stomp, that is.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

the mooer cali and mk3 models.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I wish those little things emulated the pre-EQ of the real things, vs a generic 3-band. And use something similar to the dynamic voice of the TriAxis to tweak the actual post EQ.

I know it requires them actually putting effort, but fuck it, it would be awesome.

10. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Redstuff 1987 can sound really like my 2C.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Judging by the name, it seems based on a Mark III.

StevenC likes this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Is the Mark IV model on the Helix that good?

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Besides the post-EQ being a touch too sensitive, I find it's close. It's just lacking all the proper features like a bright and fat switch, pentode/triode switch, harmonic/midgain switch, etc.

14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Longamp make a MK IV preamp pedal, but I can't find any clips.

15. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

If you guys are interested, I have (reasonably error free) Mark III schematics for all variants. Very interestingly, the only difference between the Simulclass and 60/100 is 6 resistors. The outer tubes just have voltage dividers on the grid inputs (which moves the bias voltage closer to zero, therefore running the tubes hotter) and different screen resistor values (2k7 on the outers in the simulclass vs 470R on the inners in the simulclass and all power tubes on the 60/100s).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  16. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Any Mark V 25/35 users here know if you can tap a raw signal from the CabClone without the speaker simulation?

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If you want the preamp sound with no CabClone, you could take the effect loop out. You're skipping all of the power/cab/etc. I maintain that the CabClone isn't as bad as everyone says it is though.

18. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Hmm, that would be a shame to lose the power section - I like to use my own IR's really and I'm looking to avoid having to buy a load box as well as the amp.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've mostly been ignoring this thread since I'm already a very, very happy Mark-V owner, but thought I'd chime in.

When you get a new amp, you usually spend some time dialing it in, figure out what works for you, and from there it's set it and forget it. At least, that's the process for me. So, while I'll adjust the gain to taste and mood and occasionally make small EQ adjustments, I basically haven't touched the backpanel of my Mark-V since the first few weeks I've had it.

Not sure why, but for some reason I was inspired last night to switch from pentode mode to triode mode on the lead channel, which I usually have set at IV.

Damn. It's a subtle difference... But it definitely reshapes the sound a bit, it seems to be a little more midrange-focused now and have a little more of a "stinging" sound to the attack, if that makes any sense. Pentode is bigger and drier, by comparison, while Triode makes things a little more searing and liquid. I was surprised that while again we're talking fairly small changes, I immediately found I preferred it as a lead voice.

What a crazy amp. It's amazing how much flexibility this thing has. I also did a little bit of recording using this amp for the first time in ages (writing and recording goes on hold during cycling season, mostly), and between the killer preamp/eq/conversion strip I've put together and the quality of the source sound, i was really impressed with just how good it sounded.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

When I first got my IV, I left it in triode for the longest time. I found the biggest difference was that things got a lot more percussive when I went to pentode mode.