Mesa mark IV vs V

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jfett, Jan 22, 2019.

1. jfett

jfett SS.org Regular

Question for all you experienced mesa dudes. Im primarily a bedroom player at this point, I want to hear opinions of these amps played at fairly low volumes. Alot of people seem to swear by the iv over the v. I typically play in the styles of pantera or lamb of god, alot of chuggy stuff. Also is it worth getting the 90 watt mark v head over the 35? As in does it sound alot better? I currently have a 5150iii and am looking for a different flavor.

2. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

One thing to note about the IV is that the master volume taper is not that great. It basically goes from whisper quiet and then at about 1.5 there's a huge jump to volume not suitable for apartments and such.

I'm thinking the V or the 35 both have better tapers and might suit you better in that regard.

3. jfett

jfett SS.org Regular

Thanks, ive had a few amps like that. A mxr 10 band in the loop to act as an additional volume has been my solution.
    Also curious of the roadster 2, if it sounds decent at lower volumes? The older recs i didnt like unless they were moving some air.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Mark v 90 sounds great at low volumes. You've got two master volumes (one per channel and one main) and multi watt options so you have a lot of fine grained control over volume. Plus you have so many eq options that you can get a great sound at any volume. The 35 will be basically the same deal. Dunno if it has multi watt, but I always use my 90 on 90 anyway and don't have a problem at low volumes.

5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

How low is your low volume? Bedroom at your parents house, an apartment, basement of your own single family home?

Both will sound good at relatively low volume. The Mark V will have a little better taper on the master when the loop is engaged. The V35 has no global master volume as far as I know, so it will not have as good a taper as the V, and potentially not as good as the IV. The Roadster won't work at low volumes. The FX loop master chokes the sound, and in my opinion it doesn't feel like you're playing a rectifier until things in the room are shaking.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never tried the 35 - but the volume taper on the 25 is pretty short as well, which surprised me at first since the point of a small amp seemed to be lower volume playing. I've also got a IV and I'd take it over any of the other Marks (except maybe the JP), even at low volume. Having separate channel and master volumes, even if they're sensitive, makes it easier to keep control.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

if volume is an issue you could always get an attenuator/loadbox like the torpedo captor. I can play chuggy stuff to my heart's content and record silently, which is a big plus for me since my neighbors liked to complain about the noise.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Are there any videos out there that compare something like the torpedo to a mic'd up Mark? While I like the idea of silent recording, I've always found that the kinds of tones I hear from demos with impulses sound a bit same-y, and not really "my thing", but I can never tell if that's just the demo-ers production or how they dial their amps.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

If you dig Pantera, I feel the IV is better. The V seems a LOT more midrangey, while the IV has a more scooped, high midrange character. It CAN be plenty cutting and midrangey, though. Ask Lamb of God and Trucci.

10. bubucci

bubucci SS.org Regular

MKV have better channel 1 and much better channel 2, I prefer MKIV lead channel over all modes on V. But I like Triaxis with good poweramp much more than both :)
    If You will primary use lead channel, get IV and good reactive loadbox for same money as V.

r33per likes this.
  11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I mean if you dig Pantera get a solid state Randall.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've never used a Mark IV to compare, but I use my V for bedroom playing pretty happily. I also have a 5153 50w that's a bit more gradual on the volumes, but you shouldn't have any problems with the V since it has separate channel, effects loop, and master volumes, not to mention the 10 band eq.

For what it's worth, the Mark V and EVH sound beastly paired together too ;)

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

There's also the J2P2 (Petrucci take on the Mark V or more Mark II) - might want to look at that as well.
    I have to say it is more suitable for live playing with 2 eq's and a lot of custom pedal options that are super impressive. I liked the V more because the mids really pop up and I like that dense midrange, that it might not be always good for rhythm but really stands out almost "vocally" when you get into a lead.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

You're talking about the JP2C. It's a Mark IIC+ with a shit-ton of new features.

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Yes, sorry
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/jp2c/index.html

I did check these back to back with the Mark V and found the Mark V more pleasant, but this one better to gig with. It was a darker sounding amp, just thought I'd mention it in case OP is looking for more options.

16. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The Mark IV has all sorts of switchable power options, and channel volumes as well as master volume. You can run the master high and leave the channel vol low for great tones at low to moderate volumes. If you want the Lamb of God sound, that was Mark IV for a long time.

*Opinion* The V doesn’t really have its own voice: it’s a collection of IV, II, and I tones, but it’s not the same as the legit IV, II, or I. The I,II,III, & IV, with all their tweaks, had their own unique sounds and characters. The V is the first Mark to attempt to simply recreate the sounds previously available, instead of creating its own distinct new voice. They sound great, and you’d likely be happy with a V, V35, or IV. I have enjoyed testing the V’s; but they don’t match the IV for my preference.

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I owned a MarkIV, it was a barely okay bedroom amp. The tone doesn't noticeably change with volume but it goes from barely audible, to perfect, to very loud in about a 0.5 degree sweep of the volume knob. Getting it just right was tough.

I don't like the Mark V or the JP2C. MkIV is a great amp and I've been trying to find another one locally for quite a while now but they are much rarer than they used to be.. but if you actually want more than two usable tones, the MkV and JP2C are much better in that regard. The Mark IV clean is pretty good but the rhythm channel absolutely sucks. So either you get one of the best tones Mesa ever did plus a very serviceable clean, or a bunch of good but not great tones.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

R2 can be good, with the right tubes, the right settings, and the right mindset for it. For any amount of "gain"? Nah. For a sort of "pushed clean" tone though? You can get some cool stuff out of it.

19. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

If you want amazing cleans with a pretty good lead channel, go Mark V. If you want an amazing lead channel with a pretty good clean channel go mark IV. As for playing in the bedroom its pretty easy with the power options to get good tone at low volumes with the IV (Pull bright, pull presence, mid gain, class A, Tweed power) , not sure about the V. V offers a better crunch channel than the IV, but the IV's crunch channel isn't bad.

20. jfett

jfett SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the replies. As far as volume, i mean i can and will crank it from time to time, im grown my house etc etc. Its just the fact that im not going to practice and learn new songs at metal drummer volume and want something that sounds good jamming to backing tracks etc. Im about 80% on the mark iv now as the high gain channel is where I'll be most of the time. If that channel is superior on that amp then thats what i want.

Also if getting dimes tone (like it or not) was as easy as buying a solid state randall they certainly would have sold more of those amps in the last 25 years lol.