Mesa Mark IV Combo or keep my Dual Rectifier??!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Chewy5150, Jun 22, 2015.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Ashes of the Wake in particular sounds very much like the Mark IV to me.

2. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

You made the right choice, my son. :metal:

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That's because it IS a Mark iv on that album. I think they're still using ivs or maybe now the mk v. But they're also blending a Royal Atlantic in the mix too (another killer amp everyone should try).

4. Chewy5150

Chewy5150 SS.org Regular

Finally got to toy with the amp last night. At bedroom levels its pretty sweet! Took some tweaking to get used to how the channels eqs and gains work but I got it sounding pretty awesome and its definitely tighter with my 7 string than the dual. I also found out the speaker in it is a 200 watt EVM and it definitely sounds great but quite heavy in weight haha.

Tonight I'll get to jam it at practice through my cabs so this is the real test!

One thing I did notice is that it has two effect loops with a switch. Does anyone know if they're both footswitchable or only one?

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My understanding is that you're only meant to use one of the loops at a time, and there's a switch to decide which one is active. One of them is always-on, the other is footswitchable. I don't remember if there's other differences. I'm guessing that if there's 4 plugs for your effects loop then you have the older IV-a. The b version has three plugs in a triangle shape.

6. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

One is meant to stay on all the time, the other is meant to be turned on and off. Also, here is the manual: http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/Mark 4.pdf
    It is a good read and will speed up the learning curve. I like the Mark IV but it is not an intuitve amp. :scratch:

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That manual is for the IVb, the older manual for the IVa is out there if you search for it.

8. Chewy5150

Chewy5150 SS.org Regular

I found the version A manual. Next practice I'll mess around with using the loops as I have a chorus and another eq I can throw in them.

Does anyone know who I can hook up both of my cabinets? Both are 2x12s. One is an Avatar that is 8 Ohms with two inputs and the other is an EarCandy Buzzbomb with a 16 Ohm input and a 4 Ohm input. I ran threw both of them separately but had no clue on how to hook them both up as the Mark IV only has an 8 Ohm input and two 4 Ohms.

Also if anyone has any metal setting they'd like to share feel free!

9. 155

155 SS.org Regular

no brainer mark iv everyday over a dual recto

10. Chewy5150

Chewy5150 SS.org Regular

Any Mark IV owners have metal settings they'd like to share? :D