Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier tone problems

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sethlab, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

they come with JJ's

I have all JJ's (euro tubes custom set) in mine except for V1 where I have a tung sol . The tuing sol in v1 is an awesome cheap mod for a recto. makes a huge difference to the tone

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

Who is this "everyone" I keep hearing about? I love JJ's, and always find them a welcome addition to any amp that comes through my door :lol:

3. Sethlab

Sethlab Mesa/Boogie user

Are you sure they come with JJs? Why wouldn't Mesa ship their own tubes in their heads? They seem to be really serious about their equipment, I couldn't imagine they would use something they didn't make themselves. But hey, I don't know.

4. Sethlab

Sethlab Mesa/Boogie user

I don't know if this is directed at me or not, but I did read the manual, a lot. I did state it a few times. I just don't know what exactly I'm doing. It's a lot more nuanced than everything I'm used to. Just looking for suggestions on how to make this thing meet its full potential.

If it's not directed at me, well then....I've read the manual. :wavey:

5. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Yeah. Mesa dont make tubes. they get JJ's and rebrand em .

JJ's are good quality tubes. some people find they can be dark in Mesa rectfiers especially in V1. I changed mine to a tung sol cause i was curious and it cost $15 . and I have to agree it sounds more hi fi without the JJ in V1

oh and mesa recto tone controls dont work like other amps . its a different type of cascading set up . the higher an earlier tone control is the less the knobs after it work . I believe its ,from 1st to last

gain, treble, mid, bass

so if you run the gain super high all the knobs after it will do allot less

6. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I'm not quite sure about how exactly you are running your cabs, but have you tried it without the 4x10 yet? That seems like it could definitely cause a problem. If you get a chance, try it with a v30 loaded cab. Mesas seem to be designed for v30's so they will probably sound best.

7. Sethlab

Sethlab Mesa/Boogie user

I've basically ruled out the 4x10. No one around here has any V30s and my Guitar Center is kind of a piece of crap here. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around either on them. :/

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

:agreed:Yelp, I called them awhile back and they told me the same (all their tubes are currently comming from JJ, but haven't always came from JJ)
    I run that spax7 (jj) in V1 for slightly less hum/feedback/microphonics under higher gain. They are just the ones that tested most noise resistant.

9. Sethlab

Sethlab Mesa/Boogie user

is there a way to tell if my Mesa Tubes are JJs, or another company?

10. vancouvermetalguitarguy

vancouvermetalguitarguy SS.org Regular

As a fellow Triple Rectifier owner I'll first cover the important points to this amp:
    1) The Triple Rectifier is a VERY loose sounding amp, but netherless it is very BIG sounding. With that said, the MT2 or pocket pod you mentioned, they are very tight sounding which is the complete opposite of what a TR would be. There are ways you can make it sound tight (which sounds to me... is what you are looking for out of the TR, or what makes it "sound good" for you), then you can set the TS9 as a clean boost, such as max out level and set gain to 0 and tone adjust to your liking,

2) Equalizer. This amp unlike most other amps utilizes an EQ such that each knob affects the other knob. In other words, what you see on the knobs is probably not what you are getting unless you have everything set to Noon (neutral). You will have to refer to the manual but what basically happens is gain will affect (volume, treble, middle, bass, presence), and volume will affect (treble, middle, bass, presense) and so on... so there is a priority, when you turn gain up, all the other controls will be rolled back. The order of this is gain->volume->treble->middle->bass->presence.

3) Gain knob. I think its useful to mention this knob as its own section. The gain is the highest priority, therefore it is useful to see how this works. In channel 2 modern, with the gain max its almost like channel 3 modern, with gain 3/10. Therefore, this might be what you are experiencing as having too much gain which goes in conflict with the EQ and makes your amp sound pretty nasty.

4) Experiment and Time. It's a HARD amp to dial in, especially for the first time. As everything mentioned above, it is easy to see why, as its very different from most other amps. Do note, the 3 channel recto is even harder to dial in than the 2 channel recto (which is what ola demo'ed). But Ola can make any amp (except for the Line 6 spider iii :p) sound godlike.

5) Tightness. As you found out, you need it on BOLD and Silicon for the maximum tightness to get even close to what you were expecting from the pod and formula pre. What you can further do is the TS9 mentioned. However, what you hear in Ola's video has a lot to do with how he set up the microphone. Rectos being mic'ed up is VERY different than playing through speakers and you sitting a meter away. That's just the nature of a recto.

6) Presence and Treble. This also requires a seperate section as a lot of people like to roll off on the treble and use the presence as a treble control. As you know the recto has this weird fuzz going on, which can be addicting for some, but some people don't really care for it. So that's another tip to tame the sound. This makes a HUGE difference.

What I'm trying to say in all these tips are, you need time and experiemnt and further... you need to understand the recto. It was unwise of you to buy and invest in an amp for THAT MUCH money to not play it first. But now you got it, might as well spend lots of time to get a good tone :)

To get you started, here's my tone for a band setting. It gives you plenty to cut-thru but still leaves you a HUGE chugging power. I have a 2 channel recto, but it'll be similar to your channel 2.
    MXR GT-OD (or your TS9): Gain-ZERO,Volume-MAX,Tone-12o'clock
    Channel 2 Recto (Bold/silicon): Gain- 12o'clock, Treble- 12o'clock, Mid- 2 or 3o'clock, Bass- 11o'clock, Presence- 10o'clock
    Master volume- 12o'clock (adjust accordingly)

11. vancouvermetalguitarguy

vancouvermetalguitarguy SS.org Regular

No... the NS-2 is a fine pedal.

Hey Genius, there's a middle knob. Use it.

And clearly from this post and your previous posts, you have NO idea what you are talking about. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you should get your information correct before telling people. I feel the OP is confused as hell and your comments are not helping.

Check the labeling?

viifox likes this.
  12. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Here are the settings I used for my last band:

Tube rectification
    Bass: 9 o clock or lower.
    Mid: 3 o clock
    Treble: 1 o clock
    Gain: 1 o clock
    Presense: 1 o clock

This was on the orange channel which is WAY less fizzy than the red channel because the red channel is the oj with the presense maxed out.

13. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Nah, that was directed at the guy who said they couldn't get a good, clear distortion tone. In most cases, people who say that don't understand how the Mesa EQ stack works.

14. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Not quite, but red starts at about 1:00 on the presence knob for orange, IIRC. I use the red channel for rhythm playing, but the presence is at about 8:00, i.e. almost off. :lol:

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I use the Presence about 8-9 oclock on the red channel also.

I typically use the orange channel for clean. It kind of annoys me for gain sounds because there are some mid frequencies in there that sound like beating a cardboard box with a stick. Drives me nuts. This sound goes away with some volume, but that is pretty loud for home.

16. noodles

noodles Contributor

Your opinion doesn't matter for jack shit, since he wasn't asking your opinion. He was asking how to get his rig to work.

17. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

:lol:

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Dave and Mike: guys who can help you get your Recto where you want it :yesway:.

Also, has the OP visited the Mesa forum? I found that any question I had has already been answered there, for the most part.

19. refusetofall87

refusetofall87 SS.org Regular

Whoa, cool it tough guy. I understand, you guys like rectifier heads. The gentleman needs help with his rig, my suggestion was to use a tube screamer or try a new head. I never once said that rectifier heads are garbage or they suck. I simply said that you can't get a nice, clear heavy distortion tone without certain tubes or the head being modded, mainly because, it has no mid range. On the flip side, duel and triple recs have an excellent clean channel with a nice full, warm tone. I've played these, I know gear, this amp is simply not my thing, so why the hostility?

20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

The problem is, this is entirely wrong. That's why everyone's giving you shit :lol:

viifox likes this.