Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Reborn & Peavey 6505+, differences?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by guitarblade, Jan 28, 2015.

1. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

In a band w 2 guitars, 1 guy with each = tonal perfection.

If there was just one amp to have, the Mesa every day 'til the end of the time. Just a FAR more versatile amp. Stellar clean, crunch, molten and massive tones in the Mesa.

While the Peavey is no slouch, it is an iconic amp after all, it just doesn't do all the things that the Mesa can do.

Derek

2. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

I run my 3 channel 100 watt dual rec into a marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab. (V30's)

I run my guitars into a maxon od808 and an ISP decimator II before the amp. And boy does it sure bring the amp to life.
    The amp literally sounds like a wall of guitar, I get compliments from everybody about the sound. The OD cuts out the SUPER lows that bottom out with too much volume, and really tightens up the lower register. Almost too tight, with the OD I have to run the amp in spongy mode to add some beef that the OD takes out.
    Leads aren't the best, but for the death metal that I play I don't do anything but play fast trills and whammy bar tricks anyways, so the presence that the amp has really lets the leads cut through the mix.

I would never trade my dual rec for anything. The thing is a monster. The sledge hammer metaphor is so perfect. I love it.

It's really unfortunate that folk who try them out in guitar stores get turned off by them because of 2 things... they don't get to try them with an OD pedal, AND they don't read the owners manual. Reading the owners manual is a complete must with the dual rec, really helps with learning how to EQ the beast, especially it's presence controls.

I don't know too much about the 6505+, but I thought I'd share my love for my dual rectum-fire with ya'll.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Not to mention they can't turn it up at all in a store, so they never get to hear it with the tubes hot and pushing some air.

4. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Both are excellent heads; however, you can also get some killer non-metal/rock tones out of the Rectifiers.

The Peavey is a bit less versatile.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It takes a bit of tweaking, but if you use a guitar with low-output pickups, you can get some nice lower-gain tones from a 6505, even moreso with a 6505+ or 5153.

I used a MiM Strat and Tele on the green channel of a 6505, bright mode engaged and crunch off, and it sounded rather nice.

6. Jake

Jake GAS Master

^^ I'm able to get great useable clean tones out of my 5150ii with the green channel.

While I've never owned a Recto (somehow :lol:) I'd say from playing them this thread has more or less compared these two amps perfectly

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

With extremely high output pickups, I can see cleaning up a 5150 being a bitch. But when I kept the pregain of the green channel VERY low and use low output pickups, it worked for me. Stayed fairly chimey with a liiiitle bit of grit.

8. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

Listen to The Acacia Strain's Continent album, that's a recto with boost.

9. Rashputin

Rashputin SS.org Regular

A very accurate description. Well put.

10. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I now remember why I sold on my dual rectifier.

It sounded great on its own but I struggled to cut through with a full band.

I found much greater success with the 6505+.

Speaking of which, why do you guys find it so difficult to get a clean tone out of the 6505+? I don't recall having a problem at all...

11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

+1. I get more than decent cleans out of my 6505+. Even with my SD Blackout equipped guitar, though I have to work for them a bit more with that guitar. The tubes you use have an effect on this too. I've found that by going with slightly lower gain tubes in V1 and the PI position, my cleans are greatly enhanced. It warms them up and prevents clipping quite so early. It doesn't hurt the brute channel either, because it makes the gain knob more usable and actually makes for a clearer distortion with better note separation on big chords. I use 5751 tubes in both positions. 6505s don't "need" 12ax7s in every spot to have face-melting gain. I still don't turn my gain up above 5...

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

...and the Triple kicks your gut through your spine. ;)

They're both SLO derivatives, so they're somewhat similar, but the 5150 is compressed and has a very focused midrange - it's more like the SLO sound - and the Recto Reborn has a rawer, less focused tone with more bottom and top. I also think the Recto is a *lot* more versatile, especially the Reborn series.

13. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

I'm not arguing that you can't get some great crunch tones and some passable cleans out of a 5150 (I love the Crunch mode myself, and I am primarily a mid-gain guy).

Problem is, it generally takes some knob-twisting and isn't necessarily something you can footswitch around like a Recto. The 5150s just don't have the same strong clean and edge-of-breakup tones the Rectos have. They have other great sounds, but they're definitely oriented more towards rock and metal and overdrive than clean or mild breakup.

14. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

+1000. People are always quick to dismiss the clean/low gain tones of these amps, but the right player and the right guitar can get very good cleans out of the green channel. I have a 6505+ and even with higher output pickups I can get great cleans out of the green channel. Sometimes I wonder if the people bashing the clean tone of the 6505+ have ever spent more than 5 or 10 minutes with one. I will say that the cleans on the regular 6505 aren't as good, partially due to the shared EQ, and the fact that they are voiced differently and have a different gain structure for the green channel.

15. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

I've owned a classic 3ch dual recto (before the new multiwatt vrs) and a 5150 sig

i liked the recto and peavey differently, the recto didn't quite get me where i wanted to be with a death metal tone, even with a boost, the peavey got me there immediately

but strangely enough i love them combined, they make great textures tonally when mixed together.

one guitarist in our band uses a 6505 with 2 6L6's and 2 KT88's with all JJ preamp tubes, it's a mean nasty ..... while the other guitarist uses a Mesa Nomad, it's actually quite a thin tone with that amp, thinner still with a boost, and i've been trying to convince him to either jump on on of the two 6505 amps, or go with a Recto to help compliment the tone a bit better.

so even though i personally wouldn't use the recto as my go to amp for writing and practice, i would def use it it blended with the 6505 in a recorded and live situation

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

So much this. As mentioned earlier, it really does help to user low-medium output passive pups, but you can also get good cleans by rolling off the volume knob of a hot or active pickup. I normally like my cleans to have some reverb and delay, and with good playing dynamics and not hitting the preamp with such a hot signal, I have gotten beautiful cleans out of my 6505+. You have to work for them a bit, but they can be had. I guess that's the tradeoff for such an affordable amp that can get the brutalz sounds without even trying.

17. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I usually just mix the two.

18. Dakotaspex

Dakotaspex The Uniballer

I think of the Peavey as "tight with bite."

The Mesa in my opinion poops on the 5150 (I owned a 5150II at one point). Even that being said, I've played on a LOT of block lettered 5150s and it just wasn't my idea of heavy. Mesas in my opinion sound GARGANTUAN, but this is all preference. I just bought a PRS Archon and it's my perfect idea of a blend between the two.

19. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

The 5150 is a lead guitar amp, my impression of the dr was that the tone curve and gain was not great for solos, it needed a boost.

20. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

Clean on the 6505 + is pretty decent, compared to the block 5150, I've owned both.. but Im starting to want to hear a recto amp stacked with a 6505+..