Mesa 2:95 for E530? (vs 50/50)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by guitarplayerone, Feb 3, 2014.

1. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I got an offer to trade my .50 cal+ for a Mesa Simul- Class 2:95. It has the switches on the front.

The thing is a) the 2:95 is MASSIVE (4U) and b) it doesn't have the deep and modern switches of the 2:90.

I tried the e530 with Guitar Rig in the loop for just some EQ and got some monster tone when it was dialed in. So I'm going to pick up a DBX215s to use (which was recommended anyway). They seem like you can get one under 70 on the bay.

The reasons I'm considering it are a) it has the 34's at low power, which is kind of cool (but would lack bass?) and b) I am guessing I could find someone to trade a 50/50 for in case it doesn't work out (since a simul-class would be an 'upgrade' to them).

I know a 20/20 or 50/50 would give me a more 'modern' voicing with more tone coloration (which is a good thing), and would be more useable at the volumes I would want.

The eventual goals of all of this would be a rack+212 setup with a G Major.

Thoughts?

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Ive never dealt with the 2:95, but i have the 50/50 and im very happy with it. Sounds killer to me especiall after a fresh retube. Built well too. Its really not all that heavy even. Seems like a 4u power amp would be pretty cumbersome. Likely heavy as hell too. If you gig without a roadie like me, the charm of monster racks and full stacks wears off quick around load in and break down time!

..with the 50/50 a 6u rack will do it even with power conditioner. I can carry mine alone no problem and do usually. Lighter than my 2x12

3. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

cant say I got the 2/90 and its balls heavy even in a two space rack so I can only imagine the 295 being extreme

4. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

awesome, thanks for the response on the weight. but I'm curious- how do you guys think it would sound?