Merry Christmas everyone and thanks

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Edika likes this.
  2. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Merry Christmas Sevenstringers!!

3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

fun little jam...

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I like it. Sorry, not much help. I think it sounds good though. Good vibe on that jam.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, broken record here, but what's your ultimate objective?

The mix is fine. No one will listen to this and come away raving about the mix, but it's also not going to detract from anyone's enjoyment of the song, either - it's good enough that it becomes something you don't really notice, which is IMO a good thing. Yeah, you could make it better, you can always make something better, but these are things that most people won't notice or even care about.

The song is fine, such as it is - cool, catchy riff, but it doesn't really develop or go anywhere as it goes along. It needs a bridge or chorus, needs some sort of hook (vocal or melody guitar, whatever), etc. The riff itself is cool though.

So, ultimately, what are you hoping to do with this? Use these as demos to try to get a spot in a band? Release a solo album? Write lyrics and find a singer? What are you trying to work on when you do these, to DO? If your ultimate objective is to produce another clip to get feedback on, then you're caught in a really bizarre feedback loop and I don't know what to tell you, but so far that's all you've really done here.

6. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

What did you do differently on this one versus your last one? Did it improve the recording?

What do you like about this mix? What don't you like about it?

8. ScatteredDimension

ScatteredDimension Sixstring Regular

Happy new year!

Again I am with Drew. To be blunt, what is the goal with these 1 minute long clips? I mean sometimes I do that too with my "mixtests"... But if I find the mix sounding good, I try to make a full song with it or just leave it at that...

You have nice melodies and riffs, you just need to trust that your mix sounds good and (already) make the next step.

Maybe if you find that you are releasing an EP or something, it would be logical to ask for feedback before "releasing" it.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Ideally, you have to get to a point where you commit, and live with it. I've done records where I notice slight mistakes that only I notice and years later I do the "which I would have...", but ultimately it is counterproductive after a certain threshold. You have to determine where that threshold is, and if at some point you can't tell the difference in a blindfold test between mixes, then it's good and done and ready to release.
    In some respects, I have only recently begun to toy with the idea of mixing my own records, even though I record and produce them. Fresh ears is always constructive so long as those ears are skilled and discipline as well.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah... listen, man, I'm trying not to be a dick here, but you seem to be stuck in this loop where you post a 1:30 mix asking for feedback, people reply, and then ...you post a different 1:30 mix, asking for feedback. At the end of the day, we're all practicing, writing, recording, and mixing to make music, so what is your musical goal here?

There's no point further critiquing your mixes because you haven't provided any clarity at all into your musical process, if you've even learned or incorporated anything from your prior mixes and feedback, and what you're trying to accomplish. Figure out what your objective is, and then maybe it'll be easier to figure out what steps you have to take to get there.

This, so much. I had a little bit of help with my solo album in the form of a computer harddrive that was starting to die, so I had to either finish ASAP or lose the project alltogether. Today, if I listen back, can I point to things I'd change in the mix, in the arrangement, or in the performance? Sure... But, it's still a record I'm proud of. You can't let perfect be the enemy of great.

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I would venture so far to say that at your current position, you would NOT be a viable option to mix it as you are too emotionally attached to it and therefore cannot approach the mixdown aspect of this project objectively.

I have resided in this same position for 25+ years, and as I said, only recently am toying with the idea of mixing my own project. One must determine where their talents best reside, and operate within that strength, and then pass along responsibilities to those whose strengths can complement the task.

It is important to walk away from a project to allow the fresh ears that are then taking on a mixing task to do their job, do it well, do it objectively, and do it without the constant looking over the shoulder and micromanagement of band members.

When I was touring, this was a hard sell to my bandmates, that none of us are present during mixdown, but it paid off. Early on, we paid $$$$ in re-mix sessions because of all of the micro managed input from musicians who are only thinking of their own instrument rather than the entire band mix context.

It takes years to grow beyond this perspective & think objectively.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

And some people never grow beyond it. For project's in my bands, if it's decided I'm mixing, each member get's one revision, otherwise I'll spend 2 months recording/editing/mixing a project and six months trying to get it fit everyone's desires and expectations exactly.

13. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I've mixed loads of projects for other people and I've never had a complaint, or even a suggestion for that matter, but I know my clients very well and hand discussions about what they are wanting in a mix anyway. Many of these same artists I've done FOH for, which is largely how I get recording gigs for them, along with their guitar tech work, so they already have a strong sense of my work sensibilities.

I have preferred up to this point not to mix my own material as to prevent myself from being my own worst enemy of the outcome. The people that I've had mix my work have seen me play live, know me quite well, and know what my goals are, so they are able to service that objective with my absolute trust.