Mental Junkyard, my new 16 track album release that I worked my ass off the past 4 years

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by DeKay, Jan 2, 2019.

1. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Mental Junkyard Music Video:

Full Album Stream:

I can't really explain what I've been through in the process of writing this whole album. It's been 4 long years, I moved 4 times since I began writing this album. Several times through the writing process I've been in phases of trying to understand why I am doing all of this and if it would not be better to just change and do other things with my life, things that are easier. Over time I realized that that was often some sort of fight or flight response and I was weak and to scared to be hurt because this just means and always ment the world to me.

Working on this album I unearthed all that was buried in me, I befriended my past and everything you would normally call "bad times". So to say I met with my triumph, I also met with my disaster and accepted both just the way they are to healthily move on. It was never easy at all.

This is music from the bottom of my heart, my grip on life, often the last safe place for my mind, the key to my mind, my heart and what I hold most dearly close to me. Life tested me over and over again, many times in life outside circumstances and long built up toxic experiences tried to take it away from me and tested me deep down to my inner core.

I am happy to share my art with all of you and I hope you download/stream/put it all in your car stereo USB stick. Carry me with you if you like what you hear, that would mean the world to me.

Thank you for being here to listen and read, it's been an tremendous amount of work to get here and I believe everyone is capable of chasing after his dreams. Even if you don't have a clear direction of them, you mostly know which step to take to get closer to yourself and your dreams - you are worth it.

If you are unsure and need an ear or advice, send me a message. I am happy to listen to your story and inspiration.

Still reading? I love you.
    Shine through, dont let the hate slow you down.

Thank you for being here and taking your time to listen to my story and music :)

Here's the pay what you want bandcamp link:
    https://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/mental-junkyard

zappatton2, bracky, brector and 13 others like this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Sounds like you’ve grown a lot over the course of writing this album. Allowing old memories to resurface can be incredibly challenging. But to overcome them is the true triumph of spirit. You’ll forever have this sonic reminder of how far you’ve come; and the encouragement to continue. Great job.

DeKay likes this.
  3. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Wow. Listened to the title track and I gotta say that was genuinely interesting stuff. Loved the ambience and how haunting it sounded instead of just taking some random synth patch and drowning it in reverb/delay as most guys do (well, at least I do...). Definitely a great track since it didn't feel like 7 minutes at all despite being a pretty "mellow" song.

Definitely giving the whole album a spin tomorrow as I was just about to go to bed.

Good job! :metal:

DeKay likes this.
  4. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Just finished listening for the first time. Really solid stuff. Loved pretty much every second of the album. There's just so much to comprehend that this definitely needs a few more spins for it to open fully. :)

DeKay likes this.
  5. Sacha

Sacha SS.org Regular

Pretty interesting stuff! Keep making music! What the fuck else are you gonna do with your time? :D

DeKay likes this.
  6. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

Dude....listening to the single gives me chills. I absolutely love the vibe you're going for. It's strange, dark as fuck, and extremely well realized. I absolutely dig the atmospherics. The part that begins at around 3:15 just has such a raunchy, aggressive mood to it - like a T-800 slowly wading through rubble. I also dig that your riffs on this aren't trying too hard to be complex. They hit in all the right places.

I will definitely be purchasing the record on bandcamp. This is exactly my cup of joe dude and I've been looking for something to satisfy this itch. Great stuff. I'll let you know when I listen to the full record.

DeKay likes this.
  7. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Dude!! That title track is CHILL AS FUUUUCCKKKK!:deathm: Will definitely be listing to that whole album! Way different from what I normally listen to and I like it! Keep writing man!!

lewis likes this.
  8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

The title track is absolutely massive, time to pick up the whole album.

DeKay likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Woah im hooked. Best and interesting sounding music ive heard in an age.
    Its compelling.
    Fantastic work. I will shoot you some money via bandcamp for it OP on payday!

DeKay likes this.
  10. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Wow you are from lithium dawn? I've been listening to you guys since the first record came out! Back then I even used your mix to match to mine and learn from it because the real drums just sounded so amazingly well (dat snare...)

Thank you so much for letting me know, this makes me so incredibly happy and emotional dude.

You described the mood so perfectly! I can't describe it myself to others, that's why I have such a hard time putting a genre lable on my music - what genre mixture would you call that stuff?

It's an honor for me that you are willing to pay for the record man, much love and SO much thanks!

The biggest hug from germany! Dominik / Caynug

11. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Spot on! Thank you!

12. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Now that is an compliment man, hard to swallow for me because dude.. me? best and most interesting music? So amazing, makes me really think hard about what I really did here. Much love and so much thanks for shooting money over! THANK YOU!

lewis likes this.
  13. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Only 8 days into the new year, and this is already the second great new discovery. 30 minutes in, and loving it! Great stuff.

DeKay likes this.
  14. Rational Gaze

Hey Dominik,

yes indeed, LD is my baby :) I appreciate the kind words man, though I'm curious which album you used as a reference, because I have my own, heavily critical opinions about my mixes for each record ;)

And while I'm not one to generally favor placing folks' music underneath a genre umbrella, I would call this....Ambient Post-Djent? (That sounds fucking silly)....

Like I hear elements of NIN, Front Line Assembly, Meshuggah/Tesseract, and hints of Killing Joke and a variety of late 80's darkwave/synthwave vibes. I know that may not be where you are finding inspiration, but that's what hits me. I took a listen to some songs on bandcamp as I drove around this weekend (got through about the first 4 tracks before I had to stop driving) and I think the music is very much served by your desire to set a mood, and let a riff breathe. I think what hurts the general aesthetic of this genre is that it has ADHD. Not all of it, but some of the imitations just refuse to let ideas exist and mutate, and instead fill songs with as many variations of rhythms and riffs as possible. This in turn forces vocalists to create rhythms on top, forcing it to be even more chaotic. I think this is cool sometimes, but it's not memorable, and doesn't really go anywhere. You on the other hand, sing in such a restrained, deliberate way, and your low register and timbre has an extremely ethereal, emotive quality to it. I think this serves the music so well, and it grounds it, while you work your ideas around it. You pick all your spots so well, whether you get aggressive or outwardly emotional; it all just resonates and grips my ears.

I am still genuinely impressed dude. I really hope this gets you somewhere. And hey, if you ever want to collab, hit me up :)

DeKay likes this.
  15. Rational Gaze

Hey Dominik,

yes indeed, LD is my baby :) I appreciate the kind words man, though I'm curious which album you used as a reference, because I have my own, heavily critical opinions about my mixes for each record ;)

And while I'm not one to generally favor placing folks' music underneath a genre umbrella, I would call this....Ambient Post-Djent? (That sounds fucking silly)....

Like I hear elements of NIN, Front Line Assembly, Meshuggah/Tesseract, and hints of Killing Joke and a variety of late 80's darkwave/synthwave vibes. I know that may not be where you are finding inspiration, but that's what hits me. I took a listen to some songs on bandcamp as I drove around this weekend (got through about the first 4 tracks before I had to stop driving) and I think the music is very much served by your desire to set a mood, and let a riff breathe. I think what hurts the general aesthetic of this genre is that it has ADHD. Not all of it, but some of the imitations just refuse to let ideas exist and mutate, and instead fill songs with as many variations of rhythms and riffs as possible. This in turn forces vocalists to create rhythms on top, forcing it to be even more chaotic. I think this is cool sometimes, but it's not memorable, and doesn't really go anywhere. You on the other hand, sing in such a restrained, deliberate way, and your low register and timbre has an extremely ethereal, emotive quality to it. I think this serves the music so well, and it grounds it, while you work your ideas around it. You pick all your spots so well, whether you get aggressive or outwardly emotional; it all just resonates and grips my ears.

I am still genuinely impressed dude. I really hope this gets you somewhere. And hey, if you ever want to collab, hit me up :)

DeKay and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  16. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

a few tracks into this record and i am really digging it. Great Work!!

lewis and DeKay like this.
  17. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Wow thank you man. You hit the nail on the head so deeply. You really get what I do, what I try to deliver so deeply perfect it feels very personal to me - as if you know me.

Huge props to you for seeing the message and everything, that is heavily intelligent (how to describe it else...) in my opinion.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for saying all of this, I will save that comment - and it will cheer me up on bad days.

Regarding a collab... can I lend your open creativity on a track I am working on for my next album ;)? I'd love for you to just do your thing. I feel honoured to work with you! I've listened to your voice for 7 years, AION was the album I was listening to since it was released! For mixing I always used the track "status", I still hear the damn intro in my head although I havent heard that song in a year!

Add me on facebook, thats the easiest way to stay in contact with me and we can share files there <3

Today is a good day.

Rational Gaze likes this.
  18. Rational Gaze

Hey man, I simply enjoyed the good work you did :) I appreciate when music is this genuine. Good stuff :)

Ah, AION. For some reason people really dug that mix and I absolutely hate it haha. I had no idea what I was doing man. But I guess that's how learning works. I re-recorded, and remixed that record 3 full times. We did the drums 3 separate times, finally deciding to go with Taylor Larson, who has become one of my best friends since. I think Status is a pretty easy song to reference, since it carries a mood throughout. Status into Perpetual Loss is still one of my favorite song pairings we have done, so I'm glad you dig it :)

I will definitely hit you up shortly. We'll communicate through there. Talk soon!

DeKay likes this.
  19. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

I always went to status and let it run through perpetual loss, was my both favs aswell!
    Thank you! We keep on talking on FB <3

20. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Wow. Truly beautiful and haunting. Easily one of the more emotional musical experiences I've heard in a bit. Amazing job, keep making music.

DeKay likes this.