Melodic use of rests - Video lesson

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Solodini, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Here's a new video lesson on melodic use of rests for guitar, keys, vocals and wind instruments.

Your feedback and criticism is encouraged. I'd appreciate your help to make these lessons as good as possible.

In upcoming lessons, I'll look at use of rests in bass parts and drum parts. For bass parts I'll expand on the idea of rests between chord tones for implied movement while maintaining structure. For drum parts, I'll look at playing around the beat and using rests to imply it further, so you can play freer, more interesting parts, without detracting from the pulse.

Thanks for watching. :)

Winspear likes this.
  2. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

The material itself is priceless, very informative and well presented, but I really do know almost to nothing on the subject itself to criticize content properly, but it is great stuff for a beginner like me. This might be due to your time constraints, but the editing in mid-phrase are pretty distracting, if you could avoid that I'm sure people would appreciate.
    On a note, and I'm sorry if I'm underestimating you here, but you might want to check the sound, I'm not sure what keeps happening in the video, but there are some noises... Did you leave a mobile device near the speakers?

3. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Yeah, forgot to turn off my mobile :S I noticed it in editing. I'll be more careful next time.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Much appreciated. :)

4. 28mistertee

28mistertee SS.org Regular

A little off topic bro is your book aimed at Guitarists of all levels? I know when i've read some of your comments/posts on here it sounds pretty advanced shit. Lol!

5. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

All levels, yup. It'll take you through from the very basics through to more advanced stuff in a logical order and at a steady pace. The exercises are direction on some things you can try out to actually make use if what you learn so if it's not fully clicked yet then you don't just have a list of things to copy, so you won't run out of exercises before you understand.

Have a look at the sample chapters and see how you cope. If you face any difficulties then just pm me and I'll help you out. :)

I look forward to hearing what you think of it! Thanks. :)

6. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

I don't really see who this is aimed at. Surely a better place to start would be explaining subdivisions and then building phrases on those using various groupings? A beginner probably has no idea what any of that means and a more advanced player would have no use for basic rhythms and rests.

Or am I missing something?

7. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

These videos are more intended to give something extra and some further applications to people who've read the book to cover the basics, and to give a rough idea of my teaching style to those who haven't and are curious. There are lots of other videos out there which cover the basics and there seem to be lots of people who understand the basics who may not wish to sit through it all again to get to the applications. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in the video that the basics are covered in the book, for those who feel a bit lost.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

8. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

I might have a peek at the book, it's reasonably priced. Thanks for the ideas.

9. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

You're welcome. Thanks for the interest. Someone pointed out something in the early/sample chapters to me earlier which I intend to adjust tomorrow so I'd advise you to hold off on buying the book for a couple of days until that is fixed. I'll post here when it is fixed.

10. 28mistertee

28mistertee SS.org Regular

Thanks dude, I'll take a look at your sample chapters later and let you know. Trouble with a lot of books I tend to buy then they collect dust as they just seem really intimidating. The Troy Stetina ones seem to be the only ones I've stuck with.

11. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Some of the material in mine could easily seem intimidating but I've tried to explain it in terms of how you might use it, to make it more useful so I think that helps somewhat.

12. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

The book has been fixed, by the way. Sorry I forgot to update the thread!