Mein Kampf mit....uh, um...I mean my struggle with Guitar Center

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by mmr007, Sep 18, 2021.

1. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Excuse the lack of a catchy title. I usually try to grab the readers attention but just wasn't feeling it today. Anyway this is a big-
    [​IMG]

to....(drum roll)......Guitar Center. But for a very specific reason. I will generally defend many aspects of Guitar Center and it is easy to complain about EVERYTHING with every company if you apply yourself so it is with great reluctance that I go from defending GC to hating it but Guitar Center....you have really outdone yourself and my patience has now worn to less than zero.

Over the past year and a half I have purchased 4 tube amp heads online via guitar center. Twice I ordered a used Hughes and Kettner Duotone online only to arrive at the store and see a box that was crushed and hear broken glass sloshing around in the box and saw that once the boxes were opened only a part of the amp was bubble wrapped but each end was completely exposed and but also shipped in a box big enough to ship a bath tub.

Now I just ordered a Peavey XXX (as I previously mentioned in some fucking thread, I don't remember which) in excellent condition and.....as you can see pics of the box below.....that is what greeted me at the guitar center pick up xxx head1.jpg
    xxx head2.jpg

As you can see the amp is not fully wrapped or padded and arrived in a box it had punched its way through because it had free reign to rotate and twist a full 360 degrees inside the box. All the clean channel knob controls were bent to fuck and the amp doesn't work at all

Guitar Center...you have a 75% fail rate for successful delivery of my amp purchases because you refuse to properly pack my amps. I cannot believe that you are THIS bad at packing. Learning how to properly pack an amp should be a mandatory training thing like sexual harassment training or some shit. Seriously...every employee must attend. You are 1 for 4....let me repeat...you are 1 for 4 in successfully getting the things I purchased delivered safely. This is not UPS' fault it is your lack of CARING. Because your idiot employees know I don't live in Wilmington Delaware or Toledo Ohio and their lack giving two fucks will never have repercussions. Three out of four times I drove to the store and drove home not with an amp but a refund slip. Fuck off!!

What type of simian believes that something fragile and that weighs 70lbs going UPS ground does not need to be wrapped? Why are the ends of my amps always unprotected and put in boxes 4 times the size of the amp head so that it can rattle around? Have none of you GC employees ever watched clothes drying in a laundromat? At no point in your entire lives did watching clothes tumble around over and over help form the necessary thought process to develop packing skills for fragile objects some day in the future when called upon?

Again, fuck off!!!

2. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

Oh man. As someone who works with electronics and shipping logistics etc, wtf GC.

WarMachine likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Yikes. I've ordered a pile of guitars and amps off gc's used section a few times and never had any bad luck, though I've heard plenty of horror stories. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Crungy likes this.
  4. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

I want to be clear...out of the 40+ guitars I've ordered off GC over the last 4 years I have NEVER...ever had a shipping or packing issue. Some were packed better than others but almost always to standard that ensures safe delivery. That's why I didn't pitch a fit over the two H&K Duotone issues, (it seemed a very short string of bad luck and incompetence) but now with the Peavey exhibiting the same issues with applying due diligence I am without an amp I want...again due to negligence...unacceptable negligence.

5. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Hey man, I'm an idiot from Toledo, Ohio. That offends me.

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Good lord, I thought I had a story when they shipped me an amp sans power tubes and took over a month to decide to make things right.

It's a shame overall that perfectly good gear gets ruined by mishandling, especially in these current times with inventory issues all over the place when you realize that there's far from an abundance of the good shit to go around.

7. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

That sucks and blows!

8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Some people just have no common sense. I used to work at a furniture store, and I've had co-workers attempt to ship a 35lb glass and steel medicine cabinet in a too-big-for-it box/ with the only packing material being Styrofoam peanuts. That same person thought a washcloth needed to be bubblewrapped.

Crungy, vilk and Marked Man like this.
  9. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I've completely lost faith in GC and try to avoid them at all costs. I haven't ordered a guitar from them in about 5 years, although thankfully that was a pain free experience. In fact, the idiots mistakenly listed it as coming with a hard case, which was not correct according to them and the avg street price everywhere. But when I mentioned it to them, they gave it to me anyway! A $200 mistake on their part. :cond:

I've found exactly ONE good tech who could do upgrades/setups well at GC in the last 10 years. No surprise, he was an older gentlemen (relatively speaking by current GC standards) and didn't hang around that dump very long. The little youngsters they hire these days to be "in charge" of guitar repair depts have a tendency to have maybe 5-8 years total lifetime experience in working on guitars, what a joke!

Crungy likes this.
  10. Leaviathan

Leaviathan SS.org Regular

Guitar Center is in-defensible

11. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

The only cool thing (in theory) about guitar center is the ability to go try a bunch of different stuff to refine one's preferences. In reality, they put no work into any of their guitars, so they tend to be unplayable -- cheap, rusty strings, action all over the place, etc. It's still fun to have a look at things occasionally but even if "the one" is in there somewhere you sure won't be able to find it.

works0fheart and Marked Man like this.
  12. Marked Man

I always feel almost like a newb guitarist again for the first few seconds at least on a GC guitar until I adjust to the crap setup/rusty strings, neither of which are allowed in my house. I recall when they used to actually make an effort.....years ago. :lame:

13. Marked Man

I credit G.C. for randomly being responsible for me discovering the Mighty Mesa MkIII, which I took home the same day. I also nearly took home an ultra rare USA B.C. Rich Eagle from the same store, but stupidly hesitated until it was gone. I have hardly seen anything interesting show up used in a GC in the many years since then since everything is online now.

They've made it patently obvious they no longer cared much about high end shred guitars any more since safe people like the old Gibson and Fender standbys.

14. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

It’s more the sales and the contracts they have with with gibby/fender. They’re obligated to have a shitload of their inventory so they don’t have much of the other stuff.

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Were all these purchases from the different store locations? I ordered a used Mesa Triple Rec and it came packed quite well, even the tubes were separately packed and wrapped. Sorry to hear you've had these issues, I can imagine how angering it can be!

16. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Yes they all came from different stores around the US. That's why I feel this is an issue of training AND caring. It is very frustrating because when you find a good deal it sucks that you don't benefit from hard work searching for that deal because some dope didn't care to do his job correctly

17. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

If it were AliExpress it could be expected. But GC? naw