Mega Orange lunchbox amp comparison!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Hey everybody!

I'm back with a post about lunchbox amps but this time I want to talk about the Orange lunchbox amplifiers! I really love everything about those amps. They sound killer, they look cool and all of the features they have tend to be useful as well. About a year ago or so I started with the Rocker 15 Terror and since then this thing has gotten a little bit out of hand haha. I couldn't be more happy though.

So I compared all the amps side by side with a couple different guitars and with various styles/gain settings. Basically from clean to heavy rock/metal and some stuff in between. Hearing them all side by side really lets you hear the tonal differences between each of the amps. Obviously some of them work better for certain tones than the others so perhaps this comparison can also help people to choose which one is the best for them.

The amps featured in this comparison are:
    -Tiny Terror
    -Dual Terror
    -OR15
    -Jim Root Terror
    -Rocker 15 Terror
    -Brent Hinds Terror
    -Dark Terror

I don't own the micro amps or the bass terror so those aren't included. I would love to know which ones you guys enjoyed the most in this test and also what kind of styles you tend to play. It's always interesting to know what people would choose.

Bentaycanada and mnemonic like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

From this video, the Dual is the winner to my ears. Every time I hear a demo like that that uses OwnHammer though, I can't help but wonder how much of what we're hearing is due to the impulses and recording chain. Would be interesting to see a similar video with mics on a cab - not that this is "more accurate" necessarily, but just gives another angle.

MoJoToJo, efiltsohg and Guitarjon like this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The Dual Terror is great indeed! I did find it interesting how in some cases I did prefer the Tiny Terror over the Dual Terror. The Tiny just has a bit more hair and gain to my ears. The Dual sounds super solid though and the clean is nice and sparkly. I also really love the FAT channel.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I liked the tiny terror most, even for the metal clips. I kinda wanted to like the dark terror more, and it does sound like it’s got a more modern voicing, but I think the tiny terror still had a better sound.

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The OG Tiny Terror is so hard to beat! I really want to like the Dark Terror but I keep struggling with that amp. It's just too scooped for my taste and when I back down the shape control it gets too dark too quickly. I'm not saying it's a bad amp but it's just not for me I guess. I'll keep trying though!

6. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I loved the cleans I would get on my Dark Terror, maybe it was the slight greasiness it has.

I enjoyed the Dual... lot of clean headroom for the power rating. The gain channel had a unique coarse midrange crustiness the way I used it (may have used boost) and even at 30w it ripped in the mix and could nicely complement my Dual Rec/Tremoverb.

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yeah, good point! The cleans on the Dark Terror are great indeed.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I really liked the tiny and dual terrors. They seemed to do well whether chugging or doing sparkly cleans. OR15 gets an honorable mention as well. The Dark and Brent Hinds were easily my least favorite. They managed to somehow have the worst cleans and dirty channels for my tastes.

AkiraSpectrum and Guitarjon like this.
  9. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The Tiny and Dual Terrors both have a nice raspy sound that makes them cut through the mix so nicely. The Jim Root has a nice mid 'bark' that none of the others have and I love that amp for that. The OR15 is great too but for my personal taste a bit better for anything but metal. Without a boost that is. I feel it's just a little too scooped for high gain riffing. With some pedals it can sound amazing though! Don't forget the Rocker 15 Terror as that one is sweet too! I know what you mean about the clean of the Brent Hinds, it's just a little too dark for my tastes.

10. KnightBrolaire

The Jim Root was cool, but it didn't quite do it for me the way the Dual Terror and Tiny did, especially when it came to the cleans/midgain tones. The high gain tones were solid, but the Dual seemed to have a bit more oomph/general aggression or something to it.

Guitarjon likes this.
  11. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Sure, I definitely know what you mean!

12. KnightBrolaire

It'd be cool if you ever get the chance to compare the bigger heads from Orange. I loved the Thunderverb 200 back when I tried it. I think that's easily the best amp that Orange has made. It had insane headroom and just melts faces with ease.

Guitarjon likes this.
  13. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Those seem great! I would love to have a Rockerverb one day....

14. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I would buy a Dual Terror right now if it had an effects loop. I love these small Orange amps but they don't really make the one I "need". Essentially a 2 channel like the Dual Terror or Brent Hinds with high gain like the DT/Root head with an effects loop. I really like having the clean channel and the gain channel.

Guitarjon and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  15. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

TT for the win!!

TT + Marshall 1960A + Boss SD-1 is the dogs bollox!!!

Guitarjon likes this.
  16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

You're not helping my Orange GAS at all right now

Guitarjon likes this.
  17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I liked the OR15 best for most tones, but they are honestly all so similar (other than the Dark, which is also my least favorite) that I could never justify buying more than one of those amps

This could be the case, I notice it with lots of youtube comparisons

Guitarjon likes this.
  18. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Don't overlook the Rocker 15 Terror! The clean channel is pretty nice and the gain channel isn't bad for heavy rock as you can hear in the video. Of course for more extreme styles a boost would be handy as with moost Oranges. The Hinds and Rocker 15 both also have a headroom/bedroom switch on the back for even lower wattage settings. Great and versatile amp overall!

The OG TT is hard to beat!

Haha, sorry! Which one are you looking to get? Or which one would you hypothetically get?

Most people don't and won't need more than one. They definitely sound pretty different once you get to know them. I hoped my video would help to show the differences. That's why I used the same cab IR for each tone. At the end of the video during the A/B bits it's definitely easier to hear the differences.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  19. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

At this stage I'm considering the OR15 or the Jim Root, possibly both. Small enough that they don't take up too much space haha

Guitarjon likes this.
  20. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Awesome! If I really had to choose 2 to recommend I'd probably recommend the Jim Root and Dual Terror. I still think the Rocker 15 is incredible though but the other 2 just cut a bit more in the mids. The Tiny Terror is amazing too but since they don't make those anymore the Dual should do fine :) Just keep in mind that when compared to some of the other amps the OR15 just sounds a little rounder, more fluffy and a tad more scooped. So there is a little less attack with high gain basically.