Me and my Mayones don't like pickup rings. What can be done?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Darkanus, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Darkanus

Darkanus SS.org Regular

After opening up my Mayones Setius Lizard Pro, it seems it once had directly-mounted pickups that were later customized for EMG's+rings and then replaced by me to BKP Aftermath+Suhr SSV set, still with rings.

The neck pickup is too close to bridge so there's no room for the ring. One edge must be trimmed or it wont fit. That's basically the only problem.
    Without the rings They are 8 holes and "tan marks" on the top in the shape of the rings. That's not really acceptable as well and probably impossible to be fixed.

Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone has a good idea of how to solve this aesthetic problem, please share your knowledge!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Direct mount em. Use screws that bite into the wood, but MAKE SURE they are not too long as they may puncture through the back of the body! You can set the springs under the holes of the pickups and put the direct mount screws in. Again, make sure the screw are not too long!

3. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Either use a grain filler on the holes, or small wood dowels that are the same type of wood, or at least the same color. Stew Mac has some good grain filler and bottles of pigment that can be mixed in to get the color right.

Only real other alternatives are things like: paint the guitar, replace the entire top, cover it with a full pickguard, leave it alone and let the defects show... thats all I can really think of.

4. Fktpguitfiddle

Fktpguitfiddle SS.org Regular

make custom wood rings? that match the wood of the guitar?... just a random idea ha

5. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

And don't use friggen velcro! The whole idea of direct mount pickups is to hear the tone of the guitar resonating better! And yeah using wood grain filler will probably be the easiest method and you can buy grain filler anywhere.

6. Fktpguitfiddle

Fktpguitfiddle SS.org Regular

7. Necromagnon

Necromagnon SS.org Regular

:eek:

:bowdown:

8. Darkanus

Darkanus SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for the fast replies. [=

The guitar originally had direct-mounted pickups so that won't be a problem. The holes are already there.
    Making quality pickups rings alone sounds too hard, especially when I don't have any equipment for this.
    Look closely at the photos, the pickup sits adjacent to the neck, so a regular ring won't fit. One edge must be trimmed and it looks bad, unless I could find a special ring with one missing side, or one with really thin frame.
    I want to stay as much as possible from improvised solutions, like trimming one side of the ring.

Wood filler sounds like an idea, but as this top looks pretty unique and not uniform, I'm afraid it'll look too prominent.
    Regarding the process - Its just spreading the filler inside, cleaning excess and done?

9. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

I heard if the pickup is levitated by magnets sustain is increased by over 12%.