Mayones. Worth the $$$? Good QC?

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Toss them an email, they can do a 7-string steel bridge without a problem. Detail your tonal wishes, maybe aluminum is an even better choice in your case.
I like steel bridges. I see they do polished stainless (look like chrome) and an aged finish. Can they do a black finish on steel bridge? I am looking at that Asian fit bridge with fat posts and bushings. I like the sustain and acoustic loudness of steel over the cast zinc stuff.

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can they do a black finish on steel bridge?

They can. But since they couldn't the finish in-house back then, they had to contract a different business to do that. That was the 50€ upcharge I mentioned earlier.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
They can. But since they couldn't the finish in-house back then, they had to contract a different business to do that. That was the 50€ upcharge I mentioned earlier.
Mmmmmm....

A big fat black juicy steel bridge is awfully good sounding to me. I will contact ABM.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One begins with an ”A” but it might not be who you think, and I'm sure there are others, but you're not going to see them too often anyway.

The old school bespoke builders know that it's better to toss the stuff that isn't up to par, and build it into their five (or near it) figure price tags.

The newer generation (and plenty of the last, and I'm sure more than a fair share of the next) doesn't always see it that way, and the market is such that they can't always rely on that sort of structure.

That said, there are some shining stars.

OK I'll take it...does it start with "Amfi..."?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK I'll take it...does it start with "Amfi..."?

I don't think I've ever been in the same state as an Amfisound. :lol:

I hear they did great work. It's a shame they folded/stopped building. The few users here with them seem to love them to pieces.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aik Huber and Aenneth Lawrence?

I’d say the sample size in those cases are inconclusive.

I was mainly talking about the more mainstream brands originally.

Huber stuff is still fairly uncommon in the US other than a small handful of boutiques, and KL stuff that's been bounced around a lot isn't a great measure. There are probably more KL copies than actual guitars built by Ken.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been in the same state as an Amfisound. :lol:

I hear they did great work. It's a shame they folded/stopped building. The few users here with them seem to love them to pieces.

Q.E.D. you have never seen one of them with a flaw then :lol:

On my end would be Anderson and Aristides but I will say the sample size is small on the latter.
Have never seen a Mayo with an issue either...but I guess that's because I've never owned a Mayo :lol:

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My 2 cents, I passed on several Mayo for a Schecter Custom Shop.

Regius, Browne model, and a masterbuilt multiscale Regius.

Went with a Schecter Sunset 7 Custom. They’re quite cheap for what they are used and they are incredible guitars.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I only have anecdotal evidence to back this up, but I'm pretty sure demand for Duvells was so high at first that they cut a lot of corners on those models to get them out the door fast enough. Or they had a different team building them or something- my point is I had Regiuses from the same period that were flawless, but tried four different Duvells and they all had significant build issues. Finally found a pristine one last year and bought it...and then they announced the model refresh two weeks later :lol:

Dineley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an OG Duvell non elite. Build wise its flawless love it rock solid attention to detail. Sadly im more of a singlecut guy I have learned. But its still a great guitar and I would only get rid of it to swap for a co singlcut.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alembic? And I'd guess either Tom Anderson or Aristides but those might be the "what you would guess" models.