Mayones. Worth the $$$? Good QC?

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fresh medium density foam can expand and contract in shipping and pickups are fairly heavy. A good bump can mess with alignment.

But regardless, it has nothing to do with the actual build quality, even if installed slightly one way or the other. Pickups aren't optical, and there’s nowhere near enough room to make a difference tonally. Again, you'll never get it perfectly aligned.

As for ”fixing” it, you loosen them both a couple turns and push in the direction you want it to go. You don't even have To re-drill.

It just seems like such a weird thing to discount a whole brand that makes hundreds of guitars over. :shrug:

You can't move it this much to compensate that shift unless they drilled the holes in the lugs around 6-7mm in diameter which I highly doubt, to properly shift it you will have to fill the original holes and re-drill them.

It has to do with a poor QC, I can expect that on some cheapo indo guitar, not on a $3k+ semicustom, and I've seen worse from them on even more expensive regiuses where even the pickup routes or bridge was shifted to the side. If you think these things are ok for a high end gear then seems like I can't do anything here :shrug:

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This line of complaint makes me wonder how people think string bending is possible without losing the signal.
Once again, I'm not complaining about the tones, I know it doesn't affect anything, what bothers me is someone drilling the holes in the wrong place and someone from QC passing it on a high end gear
1ab9b522b6ceb9d0a343db0e1013b3bf.png

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't move it this much to compensate that shift unless they drilled the holes in the lugs around 6-7mm in diameter which I highly doubt, to properly shift it you will have to fill the original holes and re-drill them.

It has to do with a poor QC, I can expect that on some cheapo indo guitar, not on a $3k+ semicustom, and I've seen worse from them on even more expensive regiuses where even the pickup routes or bridge was shifted to the side. If you think these things are ok for a high end gear then seems like I can't do anything here :shrug:

Eh, I've been at the high end guitar game for a long, long time. If this bothers you, don't buy anything, because I've seen plenty, typically far worse, on just about every brand. All of them. In three decades I can maybe think of one or two brands where I've never seen something without issue.

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eh, I've been at the high end guitar game for a long, long time. If this bothers you, don't buy anything, because I've seen plenty, typically far worse, on just about every brand. All of them. In three decades I can maybe think of one or two brands where I've never seen something without issue.
well, that just makes all of them having low QC standards and if someone is ok with that then I've got bad news for them :D

p.s. I had my share of expensive instruments too so I don't judge them from the photos only as you might have thought :)

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't. Maybe it's just the one I got, but it's right up there with the best Suhrs, EBMMs and PRSi I owned.

Color and finish are very subjective, so let's not act all superior over one, shall we?
i actually like that much better than your typical granny furniture tops

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Been Drooling over a couple of Duvell 6ers on reverb but I am left wondering how much better they would be than a Merrow Artist mk3. For double(+) the price I doubt they would be twice as good. But they do look KILLER.

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just to get this out of the way: The finish on my Setius is fantastic. The neck and back are are in a matte natural finish. I could poke into the grain of the mahagoni if I wished to, because the coat is so thin. But it was ground ever so smoothly. Sometimes I rub my face on the back of the guitar because it feels so good. Yes I do. I am a guy who rubs his face on his guitar because it is just feeling this nice. Judge me.

Last edited:

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I’ve been scarred by too many pre-2009s then ;) Mayones are high up on my ‘most overrated’ list. In my opinion, they’re fine, well made, but nothing special.

If someone said to me ‘Suhr or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘Suhr’. If someone said ‘PRS or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘PRS’. if someone said ‘ESP or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘ESP’...

I think you’ve got to be riding the hype wave to buy one over the competition.

But, as I said to start with most of my experience is with older guitars and I’m almost certainly biased against them.

I'd love to agree with you but I played a little too many unimpressive ESPs, with wonky side dots and everything...

Haven't played enough PRS and Suhr to compare, but the Regius I've played were all pretty much in the same QC ballpark as the aforementioned. I personally don't dig PRS a lot so if the same question was asked to me I would choose between Suhr and Mayo.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
I'd love to agree with you but I played a little too many unimpressive ESPs, with wonky side dots and everything...

Haven't played enough PRS and Suhr to compare, but the Regius I've played were all pretty much in the same QC ballpark as the aforementioned. I personally don't dig PRS a lot so if the same question was asked to me I would choose between Suhr and Mayo.
When people say this kind of stuff about ESP, I always wonder if they are talking about actual ESPs or LTDs. I have yet to come across a Japanese ESP (or Edwards for that matter) that was not well made.

I have been here for two years now and still have not visited Mayones or Skervesen. Jesus time is going too fast. I will definitely have to finally go and try these out after the lockdowns are lifted.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
When people say this kind of stuff about ESP, I always wonder if they are talking about actual ESPs or LTDs. I have yet to come across a Japanese ESP (or Edwards for that matter) that was not well made.

I have been here for two years now and still have not visited Mayones or Skervesen. Jesus time is going too fast. I will definitely have to finally go and try these out after the lockdowns are lifted.

I'm talking ESP, E-II series so probably not the best samples, as the older ones tend to be more solid. But no, I wasn't talking about an LTD or even Edwards for that matter.

I'm definitely not saying they're bad, I'm just saying the ones I've played didn't put up with other high end brands I've played. My sample could be too small so YMMV.

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I srsly don't know what the hell John Browne was thinking, his purple Duvell in the other hand seems awesome
That Juice Burst is a tribute to Justin Lowe from After The Burial, that's what he was thinking.

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

This is why IMO the most logical step is to get something mid-range and equip yourself with DIY skills. There is always space for high-end gear, but I've been on and off the hobby the past decade or so, and at this point in life I doubt I'll ever see a dime off of it, my rational brain just can't justify it. It helps to try before you buy, but that option, along with purchase returns, aren't always available where I am at.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Do both of those brands start with the letter "A" :lol: ?

From what i can tell, some of the super boutique handmade high end actually is even more prone to imperfections due to a lot of one-offs and lack of volume.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

From what i can tell, some of the super boutique handmade high end actually is even more prone to imperfections due to a lot of one-offs and lack of volume.

One begins with an ”A” but it might not be who you think, and I'm sure there are others, but you're not going to see them too often anyway.

The old school bespoke builders know that it's better to toss the stuff that isn't up to par, and build it into their five (or near it) figure price tags.

The newer generation (and plenty of the last, and I'm sure more than a fair share of the next) doesn't always see it that way, and the market is such that they can't always rely on that sort of structure.

That said, there are some shining stars.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

One begins with an ”A” but it might not be who you think ...

lulsb2hlrebti9rdejez.jpg

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It makes me sad, that many people forget the Setius when talking about Mayones.

It was in 2015. Little rowsi was hell-bent to order a Mayones Regius (before the Core models and even the Duvell I guess?). Little rowsi went and visited a shop which carried two Regius and a Setius at that time. Little rowsi didn't even look at the Setius, little rowsi wanted that juicy Regius and just tried it out only obligatory. Lo and behold: That guitar wasn't nice. The edge of the body dug painfully in little rowsis arm. And the sound from the guitar speakers did not please little rowsis ears in any way. It lacked bottom, it lacked juice, it lacked "something". The second Regius in that shop was not one bit better. Stupid edge hurting my arm and the sound was meh.
Now, there was this Setius there. It was nothing fancy, it was a Setius Alpha. They sold those for a short time back then: Completely matte black, 1 pickup, 1 volume. As barebones as they come. However, that beast was pleasing little rowsi. The body contour felt nice, the matte finish was silky smooth to the touch and that guitar had some serious balls! Chugging (before anyone said chugging) away in drop D was damn fine and the guitar oozed a juicy warm tone. Mr. owner, little rowsi wants to order a Setius here! I received the guitar in december 2015 just before christmas. Still my favorite (well, there is no competition, besides an age old MIM Tele[which kicks ass in its own right], but still!)

Since then I installed a pair of BKP Black Dogs which complement it nicely and I installed an ABM TOM. The stock TOM Mayones installs (installed back then) on these things is just dirt cheap soft scrapmetal. The saddles of that stock bridge were badly indented from the strings. The ABM bridge however is indestructible. In hindsight I might have ordered the Hipshot bridge, but I didn't even know that was an option back then.

The moral of the story: Buy a Setius.

Edit: Yes, I had a beer before writing this.

Do you remember if that ABM bridge was a drop-in replacement for the stock TOM or did it need any work?

I have a 2013 Setius still with the stock TOM (Sung Il brand if I recall) and I’ve always kinda wanted to replace it, but I never had the motivation to look up all the various dimensions.

It’s a fantastic guitar but I never reach for it as much as I reach for my Regius and other 7’s, so I’m just looking for stuff I can do to make it more enjoyable to play.

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

That was a drop-in replacement. I could have mounted it on the bolts that were installed by the manufacturer, but I wanted to go the whole way. I had a local luthier replace the bushings with the ABM parts. This is the right bridge for you:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM...s-Steel/ABM-2506s-Steel::281.html?language=en

I already had the same bridge made completely from brass, but I didn't like that on the Setius. After contacting ABM about my wishes and needs I ordered a steel bridge body with notched brass saddles in black chrome. Was a 50€ upcharge back then, but well worth it, I like the bridge and sound very much.

Edit: Additional info: The ABM mounting screws do NOT fit into the bushings installed on the Setius. That was the main reason I had the bushings replaced with the ABM parts.

Last edited:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
That was a drop-in replacement. I could have mounted it on the bolts that were installed by the manufacturer, but I wanted to go the whole way. I had a local luthier replace the bushings with the ABM parts. This is the right bridge for you:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM...s-Steel/ABM-2506s-Steel::281.html?language=en

I already had the same bridge made completely from brass, but I didn't like that on the Setius. After contacting ABM about my wishes and needs I ordered a steel bridge body with notched brass saddles in black chrome. Was a 50€ upcharge back then, but well worth it, I like the bridge and sound very much.

Nice, thanks for the info.

mine is 7-string so it looks like they only do a full-brass bridge. However I didn’t know they did custom work so I may contact them about a steel bridge rather than brass. My Setius is already quite deep/thick/resonant sounding so brass might be going the wrong way.