Mayones. Worth the $$$? Good QC?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it's not about the pole spacing, the route is ok, the one who attached the neck pup shifted it to the right (trebble) side

it is a build problem, someone drilled the holes for pickup mounting a few mm away to the side from where they should be

it's a pretty cheap and easy fix but what bothers me is such things passing the QC on pretty high end guitar

It's not even a ”fix”, you just nudge it over a hair if it really bothers you. It's just two screws and a bit of foam. It happens in transport all the time.

It's a complete non-issue being posed as some sort of ”gotcha”. Might as well complain about stock string gauge. :lol:

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The regular pre-2019 Duvell models are nothing special, and kind of feel weird without a forearm contour, the early ones had wonky neck pocket geometry too.

I haven't seen any new models in person yet.

Yea I sold my Duvell because the lack of contour made it super uncomfortable for me to play. Overall though it was a nice guitar. The neck was great.

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not even a ”fix”, you just nudge it over a hair if it really bothers you. It's just two screws and a bit of foam. It happens in transport all the time.

It's a complete non-issue being posed as some sort of ”gotcha”. Might as well complain about stock string gauge. :lol:
you can nudge the pup in the pickup ring, I don't see how a screwed in pup can move "in transport" from side to side especially this much with the screws tightly fixed in the wood

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Color and finish are very subjective, so let's not act all superior over one, shall we?

giphy.gif

Love is blind?

giphy.gif

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you can nudge the pup in the pickup ring, I don't see how a screwed in pup can move "in transport" from side to side especially this much with the screws tightly fixed in the wood

Fresh medium density foam can expand and contract in shipping and pickups are fairly heavy. A good bump can mess with alignment.

But regardless, it has nothing to do with the actual build quality, even if installed slightly one way or the other. Pickups aren't optical, and there’s nowhere near enough room to make a difference tonally. Again, you'll never get it perfectly aligned.

As for ”fixing” it, you loosen them both a couple turns and push in the direction you want it to go. You don't even have To re-drill.

It just seems like such a weird thing to discount a whole brand that makes hundreds of guitars over. :shrug:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I've found a superior being. Please lead us poor sheep with your superior tastes and opinions.

Guess I'm just having a bad day, but some people really makes me loose a little faith in humanity.

Jesus man chill I'm joking. I post a guitar that I think is ugly and a person who happens to have that exact guitar is gonna this butthurt?

Dude, I actually own a Gibson Robot guitar. (And I love it.)

And a bunch of these (T25, T26, T27, T60)... they're called boat anchor guitars for a reason.

isvze9mwllirpws41bbe.jpg

tl;dr

giphy.gif

;)

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Jesus man chill I'm joking. I post a guitar that I think is ugly and a person who happens to have that exact guitar is gonna this butthurt?

Dude, I actually own a Gibson Robot guitar. (And I love it.)

And a bunch of these (T25, T26, T27, T60)... they're called boat anchor guitars for a reason.

isvze9mwllirpws41bbe.jpg

tl;dr

giphy.gif

;)

Sorry man, just having a shit day. My bad.

Take care!

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I were in the US looking for a generic-ish NT 7/8 string with figured top, SS frets, and hip shot hardware, I'd get a used DC700/800 or something for <1k with a forearm contour

I mean how much more "quality" can you possibly get for 3x the price on a mayo

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly though, look at how well the ash grain lines up with the bridge screws -- one line per screw, except the middle one, which has one on each side. +1 Mayones

Nothing will ever make up for the strings not being perfectly perpendicular with the ”fancy line” on the Fluences. Nothing.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But regardless, it has nothing to do with the actual build quality, even if installed slightly one way or the other. Pickups aren't optical, and there’s nowhere near enough room to make a difference tonally. Again, you'll never get it perfectly aligned.

This line of complaint makes me wonder how people think string bending is possible without losing the signal.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
I remember seeing those Duvell Kuato avocado vomit bursts and thinking they were awesome at the time. Much like a tattoo I'm glad I slept on it before buying. Imagine waking up next to that.

z6w2tiu4nlogcuf4tgmc.jpg

I srsly don't know what the hell John Browne was thinking, his purple Duvell in the other hand seems awesome

Regarding the question; the US prices for mayo are insane, I can even find them cheaper here in Chile which is a rarity that only happens with 2-3 brands, as we have a similar situation with prices like the one in Australia
If I was in the US looking for a Metal guitar I would look for EBMM, Murican Jackson, ESP, or......... Kiesel (but used, no way I would give money to Jeff)

now, regarding quality; the Mayos I tried were perfect in every sense, but personally I enjoyed the EBMM's I played a lot more