Mayones. Worth the $$$? Good QC?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember seeing those Duvell Kuato avocado vomit bursts and thinking they were awesome at the time. Much like a tattoo I'm glad I slept on it before buying. Imagine waking up next to that.

z6w2tiu4nlogcuf4tgmc.jpg

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Surprised they went with this guy for a sig...

Robert-Duvall-Allan-Hubbard-Tender-Mercies.jpg

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Currently own a slew of ESP’s, an Aristides and a PRS and can safely say that the Mayones guitars I own are by far my favourite. Nothing wrong with those other guitars, but the Mayones just feels like playing a piece of art and raises a smile every time I pick one up.

It’s all personal preference of course, but I’m yet to try anything that’s ‘better’ in terms of build quality. My Regius and Regius Core Classic are perfect, the Duvell Elite I owned was the same build quality but I just preferred the Regius vibe and aesthetic much more. The Duvell feels like a guitar it would be weird to play anything but metal on, so much attack and very one-dimensional, whereas a Regius and especially the Core Classic feel a bit more versatile.

Maybe the pricing outside of Europe makes it a different story, but they’re so much more bang for your buck in the UK than a Suhr and at over a grand less starting price point for a Regius vs a PRS it’s almost a no brainer, especially now they come with Hipshot bridges and stainless steel frets as standard. They’re typically not trying to cater to the same players ofcourse, so apples vs oranges I guess.

Not sure I agree on the ‘clinical’ thing either. Aristides sure, but I’d just say Mayones is very ‘precise’ sounding. With a set of pickups that don’t slam your amp or AxeFX hard they’re just as capable of all the dad rock tone descriptors you could want.

Last edited:

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It makes me sad, that many people forget the Setius when talking about Mayones.

It was in 2015. Little rowsi was hell-bent to order a Mayones Regius (before the Core models and even the Duvell I guess?). Little rowsi went and visited a shop which carried two Regius and a Setius at that time. Little rowsi didn't even look at the Setius, little rowsi wanted that juicy Regius and just tried it out only obligatory. Lo and behold: That guitar wasn't nice. The edge of the body dug painfully in little rowsis arm. And the sound from the guitar speakers did not please little rowsis ears in any way. It lacked bottom, it lacked juice, it lacked "something". The second Regius in that shop was not one bit better. Stupid edge hurting my arm and the sound was meh.
Now, there was this Setius there. It was nothing fancy, it was a Setius Alpha. They sold those for a short time back then: Completely matte black, 1 pickup, 1 volume. As barebones as they come. However, that beast was pleasing little rowsi. The body contour felt nice, the matte finish was silky smooth to the touch and that guitar had some serious balls! Chugging (before anyone said chugging) away in drop D was damn fine and the guitar oozed a juicy warm tone. Mr. owner, little rowsi wants to order a Setius here! I received the guitar in december 2015 just before christmas. Still my favorite (well, there is no competition, besides an age old MIM Tele[which kicks ass in its own right], but still!)

Since then I installed a pair of BKP Black Dogs which complement it nicely and I installed an ABM TOM. The stock TOM Mayones installs (installed back then) on these things is just dirt cheap soft scrapmetal. The saddles of that stock bridge were badly indented from the strings. The ABM bridge however is indestructible. In hindsight I might have ordered the Hipshot bridge, but I didn't even know that was an option back then.

The moral of the story: Buy a Setius.

Edit: Yes, I had a beer before writing this.

Kovah

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Spot on.

For obvious reasons, Mayones and Skervesen had the same production track. Earlier production models had a higher level of QC failure or just overall questionable build quality (not talking Legator quality though!). The newer (I didn’t know 2009) ones are solid. I’ve owned a bunch and still have two.

I sold the NAMM Setius I had. It was just fine (no issues), and I never compared specs, but it felt played and sounded similar to my $600 first year (that low serial number tho!) Loomis. But I bonded with the Loomis and the Setius didn’t do anything special for me so I moved it.

I still have a Regius 6 negative black burst or whatever it’s called, with BKP Juggs. The build quality is impeccable and it plays and sounds quite good (for having Juggs lol). Is it just me or do Juggs sound better split with high gain? My only complaint is the top looks extremely fotoquilt fake. Like old bad MIK guitar fake. I even contacted Mayones to check because I thought I might have been scammed lol.

My Regius 7 with BKP Impulses and Piezo I got from Axe Palace when the hype was legit and they were like $4k. This is my main 7 and it crushes. I call it my DI or FRFR guitar because it just plays perfect and neutral with my Kemper or high gain tube amps like KSR.

My only complaint in general about the Regius line is every single one I’ve played always feels like a piece (or multilaminate piece) of dead wood??? They always sound cold and sterile. Which works really well I guess for chugs and shreds. There’s no coloring from the materials. None of the adjectives used to describe other guitars work. E.g. No maple snap. It’s like a neutral machine that will sound exactly like whatever preset you use in your Kemper or AxeFX. I’m not a tonewoodslut... I’ve always wanted to try their Tele style guitars. But I feel like if they’re anything like these they’d be sterile and lack all the snap, twang, or chime that makes a Tele sound like a Tele?

I have no experience with the other models like Duvell, but I’ve heard they are very different from the Regius in tone and feel?

Must be the BKPs. I wouldn't say my mayos sound sterile and I can clearly hear the difference between swamp ash/black limba bodies.

oracles

Australian in Canada
Reaction score
I cant objectively fault them in terms of build quality, every one I've played has been consistently well built, they just dont do anything for me. I find the Regius uncomfortable to sit with and play, but that's a personal thing.

The only real negative point for me is their finish work, particularly bursts. They regularly shit the bed with their finishes, especially the older ones. Their stains are fine, but a lot of their bursts are just rough.

noob_pwn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
played a bunch owned by some bands that I've toured with and the build quality seemed to be fantastic. Not really my thing but I'm sure they are great if that's what you're after

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own a couple a Regius Core 7 and a Regius 6. Both are impeccable guitars.

Are they better than other brands? The more I think about it, the quality in that price range is usually really good, otherwise companies' reputations would take a beating.

For a while I though I liked the Regius 6 as my #1 axe, but now I like my Caparison Horus HGS. It's just a different sound, different construction, different needs.

As far as Mayones being sterile/clinical, I'd put that down to the pickups in the guitars in question rather than the wood or construction.

The build quality is definitely top notch.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Maybe the pricing outside of Europe makes it a different story, but they’re so much more bang for your buck in the UK than a Suhr and at over a grand less starting price point for a Regius vs a PRS it’s almost a no brainer, especially now they come with Hipshot bridges and stainless steel frets as standard. They’re typically not trying to cater to the same players ofcourse, so apples vs oranges I guess.
Citation needed. A Regius is more expensive than a Suhr Modern or CU24 in the UK.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Citation needed. A Regius is more expensive than a Suhr Modern or CU24 in the UK.

Ya, Mayones really isn't much cheaper in the EU than the US. Everything from the US is just much more expensive in the EU/UK.

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I didn't say they were cheaper than Suhr's, I said they were better bang for your buck. This is subjective of course but I always think of getting Hipshot hardware and pickups from Fishman/Bare Knuckle/Seymour Duncan etc., neck-through construction, binding etc. as being that 'bang for your buck' and to me they feel like a more high performance guitar, you may not. A Duvell would be closer spec-wise but still cheaper, I think. Turns out though after a quick look that they actually are cheaper in many cases too, though.

Here are 4 Regius models, though there are plenty more available, from 2 retailers as an example that are cheaper:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...es-regius-7-trans-dirty-green-burst-rf1805443
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...ones-regius-6-trans-dirty-red-burst-rf1908866
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180904332129006-2404714--mayones-regius-7-natural-rf1810604
https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/mayones-regius-gothic-7.htm

'Standard' Regius cost is around £2500. Non-10 top PRS CU24's are ranging from £3150 to £3500. The lower priced ones have been in stock for years and either reduced because of this or are still being sold at the lower price point they were at the time they were new. A few years ago a standard Regius was £2200 from GG, so still a big price difference. I'm more a McCarty fan so don't track CU prices, but Mayones definitely come in at way less than a 594 unless you're adding options that come with an up-charge. An upgraded top on a Regius still works out a lot cheaper than a 10 top McCarty though.

Looking at GuitarGuitar, 15 of the 17 Suhr Moderns they have are either roughly the same price or more expensive and 1 is a discounted ex-demo model. From other UK retailers they're much more expensive from what I've seen.

Mayones in general in the UK are cheaper still if you buy from a European seller than GuitarGuitar, and the service is a damn sight better too... I've bought some from GuitarGuitar but if you buy from some of the great sellers in the Netherlands or Belgium in particular you'll get a Mayones for even less still. For my last Regius I went for the Core Classic (up-charge over the flat top model), high grade birdseye maple fretboard (up-charge), Hipshot bridge before they became standard (up-charge) and Bare Knuckle pickups (up-charge) and it still came out cheaper than the lowest priced CU24 would be over here and a crazy amount cheaper than ordering that same specced Mayones from a UK dealer. Just works out better to buy in Euros.

Last edited:

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Yeah their prices in the UK really suck, I've looked at a few on guitarguitar and they're brutal when priced in the pound. When I've bought in Europe it's been from either Omega Music in Belgium or Metal Guitar in Paris, much more reasonably priced there.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
imo they are not worth the money, my OCD ticks when I see pickup alignments issues, especially on $3k+ guitar
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180904332129006-2404714--mayones-regius-7-natural-rf1810604
GtCZdm.jpg

also saw plenty of Setiuses with fretts popping through the clearcoat finish on the sides of the neck

The strings are directly above the poles on the bridge pickup, so what does this really leave as an explanation?

180904332129006-2404714f.jpg

Like a trem-spaced bridge pickup in the neck? Or the neck pickup height higher on the bass side than the treble side? I can't understand how this is a build problem given that the actual pickup route looks perfect.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't understand how this is a build problem

It’s not. It’s just something people online point out when they don’t understand how string spacing works.

Nothing has perfectly aligned neck poles because pickups with those dimensions don’t exist.

They only make a single 7-string pickup spacing and unless you order matching bridge and nut spacing/width there’s going to be a variance.

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah their prices in the UK really suck, I've looked at a few on guitarguitar and they're brutal when priced in the pound. When I've bought in Europe it's been from either Omega Music in Belgium or Metal Guitar in Paris, much more reasonably priced there.

Until last year GuitarGuitar were the only UK dealer and they really gouged people on prices. Some of the up-charges they quote for options are insane compared to what the actual suggested up-charge is that Mayones list in their catalogue to dealers.

Omega Music is awesome, they usually have some great builds in stock and David is just an absolute stand-up guy, one of the nicest dudes I’ve ever came across in my whole guitar-buying life.

Last edited:

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
I remember seeing those Duvell Kuato avocado vomit bursts and thinking they were awesome at the time. Much like a tattoo I'm glad I slept on it before buying. Imagine waking up next to that.

z6w2tiu4nlogcuf4tgmc.jpg

I'm glad I didn't. Maybe it's just the one I got, but it's right up there with the best Suhrs, EBMMs and PRSi I owned.

Color and finish are very subjective, so let's not act all superior over one, shall we?

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The strings are directly above the poles on the bridge pickup, so what does this really leave as an explanation?

Like a trem-spaced bridge pickup in the neck? Or the neck pickup height higher on the bass side than the treble side? I can't understand how this is a build problem given that the actual pickup route looks perfect.

it's not about the pole spacing, the route is ok, the one who attached the neck pup shifted it to the right (trebble) side

It’s not. It’s just something people online point out when they don’t understand how string spacing works.

Nothing has perfectly aligned neck poles because pickups with those dimensions don’t exist.

They only make a single 7-string pickup spacing and unless you order matching bridge and nut spacing/width there’s going to be a variance.

it is a build problem, someone drilled the holes for pickup mounting a few mm away to the side from where they should be

it's a pretty cheap and easy fix but what bothers me is such things passing the QC on pretty high end guitar