Mayones. Worth the $$$? Good QC?

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
There's a 7 string Mayones up on Reverb atm that got my attention. Never having played one myself, I was wondering how they stack up against similarly priced guitars in terms of quality of workmanship/QC, that sort of thing. Thanks.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been scarred by too many pre-2009s then ;) Mayones are high up on my ‘most overrated’ list. In my opinion, they’re fine, well made, but nothing special.

If someone said to me ‘Suhr or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘Suhr’. If someone said ‘PRS or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘PRS’. if someone said ‘ESP or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘ESP’...

I think you’ve got to be riding the hype wave to buy one over the competition.

But, as I said to start with most of my experience is with older guitars and I’m almost certainly biased against them.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I’ve been scarred by too many pre-2009s then ;) Mayones are high up on my ‘most overrated’ list. In my opinion, they’re fine, well made, but nothing special.

If someone said to me ‘Suhr or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘Suhr’. If someone said ‘PRS or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘PRS’. if someone said ‘ESP or Mayones?’ I’d say ‘ESP’...

I think you’ve got to be riding the hype wave to buy one over the competition.

But, as I said to start with most of my experience is with older guitars and I’m almost certainly biased against them.
That certainly put things in perspective for me. Much appreciated. Thanks.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
In terms of craftsmanship and QC, very high.

In terms of sound, not for everyone. Those Regius a-million-piece necks are very stiff and I think that gives them a certain vibe. For comfort as well, they don't roll the fretboard edges and that gives it a certain feel too. Very Aristides-like in both of those aspects.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of craftsmanship and QC, very high.

In terms of sound, not for everyone. Those Regius a-million-piece necks are very stiff and I think that gives them a certain vibe. For comfort as well, they don't roll the fretboard edges and that gives it a certain feel too. Very Aristides-like in both of those aspects.

Spot on.

For obvious reasons, Mayones and Skervesen had the same production track. Earlier production models had a higher level of QC failure or just overall questionable build quality (not talking Legator quality though!). The newer (I didn’t know 2009) ones are solid. I’ve owned a bunch and still have two.

I sold the NAMM Setius I had. It was just fine (no issues), and I never compared specs, but it felt played and sounded similar to my $600 first year (that low serial number tho!) Loomis. But I bonded with the Loomis and the Setius didn’t do anything special for me so I moved it.

I still have a Regius 6 negative black burst or whatever it’s called, with BKP Juggs. The build quality is impeccable and it plays and sounds quite good (for having Juggs lol). Is it just me or do Juggs sound better split with high gain? My only complaint is the top looks extremely fotoquilt fake. Like old bad MIK guitar fake. I even contacted Mayones to check because I thought I might have been scammed lol.

My Regius 7 with BKP Impulses and Piezo I got from Axe Palace when the hype was legit and they were like $4k. This is my main 7 and it crushes. I call it my DI or FRFR guitar because it just plays perfect and neutral with my Kemper or high gain tube amps like KSR.

My only complaint in general about the Regius line is every single one I’ve played always feels like a piece (or multilaminate piece) of dead wood??? They always sound cold and sterile. Which works really well I guess for chugs and shreds. There’s no coloring from the materials. None of the adjectives used to describe other guitars work. E.g. No maple snap. It’s like a neutral machine that will sound exactly like whatever preset you use in your Kemper or AxeFX. I’m not a tonewoodslut... I’ve always wanted to try their Tele style guitars. But I feel like if they’re anything like these they’d be sterile and lack all the snap, twang, or chime that makes a Tele sound like a Tele?

I have no experience with the other models like Duvell, but I’ve heard they are very different from the Regius in tone and feel?

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Overrated, therefore overpriced if you are not in EU and can get them for cheap

Also depends on the model, regius is a higher tier than setius

If you say regius then for 3k I'd rather get many other 7s - JC, aristides, petrucci, etc

Sdrizis89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own a Mayones Duvell 7 from 2017/18 and it’s build quality is incredible. It sounds amazing and I will definitely be buying more. I personally love the way the neck feels. It is on par or better than my custom shop Jackson’s, USA Jackson’s, Gibson’s, and Suhr Modern in terms of quality and playability. All great instruments.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
My only complaint in general about the Regius line is every single one I’ve played always feels like a piece (or multilaminate piece) of dead wood??? They always sound cold and sterile.

Yea, I forgot exactly what @StevenC called my Regius. Something ilke "the deadest guitar I've ever played". It is pretty though:

29433180620_287f76864a_6k.jpg

But yea, it does sound sterile, but another guy was over playing some guitars. While I was walking around in the kitchen I was thinking, man, that sounds good -- it was the Regius. Tons of gain, metal sound. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, but the thought of using this for classic rock or blues... no way. It's not pretty or musical sounding. It's clinical.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
They're my favorite guitars that are still made of wood. I've seen a couple Duvells that had build issues but every other one I've ever played or owned has been flawless. If you want a traditionally built extended range guitar I don't think there's a better non-boutique builder out there. Now that they're easier to find on reverb and in the states their price has gotten a lot more reasonable for non-Europeans as well.

secretpizza

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really fantastic guitars. I’ve owned a few (all 2014 or more recent) and the build quality has been pretty unparalleled in my experience - stands toe to toe with the Cu24s I’ve owned and every Suhr Modern I’ve had. The Regius is definitely a metal guitar; I can’t really comment on how they handle other stuff because I never planned to use mine for anything other than metal. But my Regius Core 6 is one of the finest looking guitars I’ve ever seen, and it’s bar none the best metal guitar I’ve ever owned. Fast as hell to play, insanely low action, and surgically tight tones. If you’re looking for metal stuff, you can’t go wrong with a more recent Mayo.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Overrated, therefore overpriced if you are not in EU and can get them for cheap

Also depends on the model, regius is a higher tier than setius

If you say regius then for 3k I'd rather get many other 7s - JC, aristides, petrucci, etc
Do you have a line on these cheapo Mayos?

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
The regular pre-2019 Duvell models are nothing special, and kind of feel weird without a forearm contour, the early ones had wonky neck pocket geometry too.

I haven't seen any new models in person yet.

Not true. I believe Wired Guitarist said Duvells were the greatest guitar ever made, especially for both metal and non metal applications.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember seeing those Duvell Kuato avocado vomit bursts and thinking they were awesome at the time. Much like a tattoo I'm glad I slept on it before buying. Imagine waking up next to that.

z6w2tiu4nlogcuf4tgmc.jpg

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a 7 string Mayones up on Reverb atm that got my attention. Never having played one myself, I was wondering how they stack up against similarly priced guitars in terms of quality of workmanship/QC, that sort of thing. Thanks.

Given the price range of a Regius, I would prefer Suhr or PRS or Tom Anderson.

Of course, if you are in love with how the look — and they do look nice — ...