Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am currently saving up for a "high end" 7 string guitar. As much as I love my Indonesian made guitars I think it is time for me to upgrade too something truly special. I really do like the fact that that the Mayones guitars come in a 27 inch scale and that's the one thing making me lean words it compared to the Erine Ball but I am definitely open to both. Which would you prefer between these too "Ferrari" guitar brands? Are there any other guitar brands I'm missing in the 7 string segment that can compete with guitars of this quality or surpass them? Please let me know thanks!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
do you think all in all one of them outweighs the other?
Some will be a little nicer than others as thats the nature of wood and metal being assembled into instruments. Once you’re over 2k its about your spec preferences, known shitty builders aside.

If you prefer 27” scale then ebmm is probably out.

Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some will be a little nicer than others as thats the nature of wood and metal being assembled into instruments. Once you’re over 2k its about your spec preferences, known shitty builders aside.

If you prefer 27” scale then ebmm is probably out.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Im gonna get some estimates on a custom built Mayones then !

estin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EBMM are very nice guitars, but not worth the new prices they command imo. Used there are some great deals to be had, for some reason they do not hold resale that well. Great if you are looking to buy.

Wyvern Claw

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No secret I've been on a huge ESP kick for a while now (I've had four new guitars since last year, all of which have been ESP) and their Original Series line has an M-7 with a 27" scale. So If the scale length is a huge plus for you and not just a nice bonus, I'd recommend one of those.

However, I do also own two incredible Mayones guitars, a 25.4" scale Regius Core 7 and a 25.4" - 27" multiscale Hydra Elite 7. The Regius Core is just about as nice as any guitar I've ever played. I think ESP edges them out just BARELY in the tiniest of details but for the larger aspects that really matter it comes down to preference and they're about equal. Though I will add the Regius Core 7 is a little nicer than the Hydra in a few areas.

Other factors are aesthetics and construction. ESP is pretty limited unless you go with a USA model, but I don't have one to compare against the Japanese Original Series or against a Mayones. A Mayones will have a lot more finish options, but if you want a 27" then that might limit what's off the shelf a little more. Still, compared to ESP there should be more out there than 3 solid color options. Mayones also has the Regius line, which is neck-thru, and Duvells and Hydras, which are bolt-on. The ESP M-7 is just a bolt-on, as are their other 25.5" 7-string options.

I don't have any experience with EBMM, but I'm not a fan of most of their designs. By all accounts, they seem to be phenomenal guitars, just not something I've prioritized over other options. I hope that's not too off-topic, I only bring up ESP because I've found them to be the "best" for me and you mentioned other recommendations for 7 strings. If I had to choose strictly between EBMM or Mayones, I already chose Mayones twice when funds were available for either one, if that tells you anything.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
EBMM are very nice guitars, but not worth the new prices they command imo. Used there are some great deals to be had, for some reason they do not hold resale that well. Great if you are looking to buy.
Everything is worth the new price because people keep buyin em. Unless you want to see the used market be $10 less than retail :lol:

sirbuh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All of the EBMM's I have owned have been overbuilt quality wise. Unfortanetly never pulled the trigger on a mayones, they seem just as well built.
Either should be a winner.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If your primary concern is quality and playability, rather than owning a unique guitar with fancy finishes, then you could get two of these for the price of a Mayones / EBMM...and probably have a decent amount of change left over.

Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If your primary concern is quality and playability, rather than owning a unique guitar with fancy finishes, then you could get two of these for the price of a Mayones / EBMM...and probably have a decent amount of change left over.
Yes but are the Ibanez the same level of quality ? If so then I’d definitely consider that too be a viable option as well!

TheInvisibleHand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Before we see the usual cacophony of people telling you to not spend your money and instead buy a much cheaper guitar because it has great specs and you'd have a bunch of money left over, I'd like to address the question at hand. I fully understand the desire to own something "special" and have also tried to go the "save money buy a cheaper alternative route. If you are anything like me, once you've made up your mind to get that special guitar, you will not be sated by the "smarter" choice. Because in this situtation, it is not about pragmatism. It's about the time spent grinding and saving and then finally dropping that wad of cash on something to show for you efforts. Or as they say "buy right, buy it once".

I've owned 12 Mayos. 6 Duvells, 2 Regius, and 4 Hydra. A mixture of 6s and 7s. They were ALL flawless. Some more inspiring than others. I still have a few and only sold the other ones to grab other higher end models. For me, the Duvell in particular is just right. Coming from a long lineage of owning only Ibanez RGs, the Duvell feels like the extra fancy version that I would have always wanted. That said, for whatever reason, I liked the Regius 7 better than the Duvell 7. Just seemed to make more sense for that, and for no real on paper reason.

If you go the Mayo route, there are countless in stock models all over the place. But if you want to fo the custom route, I cannot recommend Alain at Sebastopol music enough, He's great to work with.

Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Before we see the usual cacophony of people telling you to not spend your money and instead buy a much cheaper guitar because it has great specs and you'd have a bunch of money left over, I'd like to address the question at hand. I fully understand the desire to own something "special" and have also tried to go the "save money buy a cheaper alternative route. If you are anything like me, once you've made up your mind to get that special guitar, you will not be sated by the "smarter" choice. Because in this situtation, it is not about pragmatism. It's about the time spent grinding and saving and then finally dropping that wad of cash on something to show for you efforts. Or as they say "buy right, buy it once".

I've owned 12 Mayos. 6 Duvells, 2 Regius, and 4 Hydra. A mixture of 6s and 7s. They were ALL flawless. Some more inspiring than others. I still have a few and only sold the other ones to grab other higher end models. For me, the Duvell in particular is just right. Coming from a long lineage of owning only Ibanez RGs, the Duvell feels like the extra fancy version that I would have always wanted. That said, for whatever reason, I liked the Regius 7 better than the Duvell 7. Just seemed to make more sense for that, and for no real on paper reason.

If you go the Mayo route, there are countless in stock models all over the place. But if you want to fo the custom route, I cannot recommend Alain at Sebastopol music enough, He's great to work with.
Your exactly right! I feel like you are correct about me wanting something special and although it might not be the smartest or most economical choice I think I’m going to do it anyway. Do you think Mayones would build a custom Duvell 7 Gothic baratone with an evertune bridge? That’s my dream guitar and spec. Hoping they can do that. Im going to inquire about it. I’ll look into your recommendation on where to order. Thank you !

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am currently saving up for a "high end" 7 string guitar. As much as I love my Indonesian made guitars I think it is time for me to upgrade too something truly special. I really do like the fact that that the Mayones guitars come in a 27 inch scale and that's the one thing making me lean words it compared to the Erine Ball but I am definitely open to both. Which would you prefer between these too "Ferrari" guitar brands? Are there any other guitar brands I'm missing in the 7 string segment that can compete with guitars of this quality or surpass them? Please let me know thanks!

I'd strongly advise to try an in stock model of either brand before comitting to a custom order.

Back in 2014 I was hellbent on getting a Mayones Regius, being absolutely infatuated with the looks. I got to try one out and: I hated it! The body edge dug unpleasantly into my forearm, the neck carve wasn't for me and the sound didn't do it for me. Too "tight" maybe?
However, I also got to play a Setius (dicontinued sadly) which was much nicer for me: the carved top and TOM bridge were more comfortable for me, the neck wasn't as wide as the Rregius' and it overall did it for me. Ordered a custom Setius and been happy ever since.

They did change the body contour of the regular Regius by now, plus there is the Regius Core series with a carved top.

Moral of the story: Try before you buy. I would have been extremely disappointed with buying a Regius back then.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Your exactly right! I feel like you are correct about me wanting something special and although it might not be the smartest or most economical choice I think I’m going to do it anyway. Do you think Mayones would build a custom Duvell 7 Gothic baratone with an evertune bridge? That’s my dream guitar and spec. Hoping they can do that. Im going to inquire about it. I’ll look into your recommendation on where to order. Thank you !
IMO nothing you've mentioned is really "exotic" to their spec sheets so I think they'll definitely build that.

Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO nothing you've mentioned is really "exotic" to their spec sheets so I think they'll definitely build that.
Yeah I figured this would be the case! The evertune is the only thing I’m kinda worried about. I know they put it on other models but I’ve never seen an Evertune Duvell.

Nikothegreek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd strongly advise to try an in stock model of either brand before comitting to a custom order.

Back in 2014 I was hellbent on getting a Mayones Regius, being absolutely infatuated with the looks. I got to try one out and: I hated it! The body edge dug unpleasantly into my forearm, the neck carve wasn't for me and the sound didn't do it for me. Too "tight" maybe?
However, I also got to play a Setius (dicontinued sadly) which was much nicer for me: the carved top and TOM bridge were more comfortable for me, the neck wasn't as wide as the Rregius' and it overall did it for me. Ordered a custom Setius and been happy ever since.

They did change the body contour of the regular Regius by now, plus there is the Regius Core series with a carved top.

Moral of the story: Try before you buy. I would have been extremely disappointed with buying a Regius back then.
I have no place to try them out. I live in a suburb in Ohio. Thanks for the advice though I do appreciate it.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Yeah I figured this would be the case! The evertune is the only thing I’m kinda worried about. I know they put it on other models but I’ve never seen an Evertune Duvell.
They've put it on the prototype they did for Misha a few years back:

qkinmhnwpe74uk67g4pu.jpg

I would assume they usually don't put it on their stock/production guitars often as an Evertune is an expensive option both in hardware as production cost and lots of buyers don't see it as that much of added value compared to the cost added. But considering we're talking about a custom here, I don't see what the issue could be so go nuts :hbang: