Mayones opinions?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dawn of the Shred, Apr 16, 2019.

1. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

I liked my Regius. The build quality was impeccable. Sold it because it was a bit lifeless and didn't really inspire.

jco5055 likes this.
  2. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Yeah every Mayones I’ve played so far (various Duvells, Regius, and Aquina) have been of a similar “quality is top tier but just missing that extra mojo to distinguish self from all the other $2k+ price point guitars”

3. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

4. rowsi

rowsi SS.org Regular

Check out Farm-Sound in Kassel. I ordered my Setius there after GASing for a Regius. They have 2 Regius (both with old forearm design, though) and 1 Setius in stock atm. I found the Setius much more pleasing, both sonically and haptically.
    If you have to have a Regius, check out the Regius Core models. Those you'd have to try out either at Music-Store in Cologne oder ProMusicTools in Munich.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

soulless and uninspiring

had to track a whole album with one. Unenjoyable experience

[​IMG]

but with blackhawks

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I typically detest using such vague, hand-wavey terms such as "soul" or "mojo" and their lack thereof, but I've played a bunch of Mayones guitars around town and that was my impression of almost all of them, although I certainly couldn't explain succinctly why. The Regius Core Classic was really nice though. Duvells were the worst offenders.

jco5055 likes this.
  7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Sometimes you just don't jibe well with a particular kind of guitar! It's a weird instrument like that.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

A lot of people that have played/owned Aristides have reported similar experiences. Makes me wonder if the ultra stiff construction contributes to this.

This is purely an an observation, not fact, so take it for what it's worth.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's just par the course for stuff that's so hyped up.

I don't think it really has anything to do with the actual instruments, just all of our own unique perspectives as far as what we like and don't.

10. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

You mean like 3-4K now. They priced themselves out of their target demographic years ago IMO trying to go more boutique. I see most of their stock just sitting for sale now for months And months even used pieces. They were a good value back 10 or so years ago.

lewis and jco5055 like this.
  11. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I guess I inherently think $2k is the start of the "top tier" guitars, though I might be like a decade late since what I used to think were $3k guitars are now like $5k (looking at you ESP)

Furtive Glance likes this.
  12. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

It was a reasonable value when I bought my first Mayones. They still seem to be selling. I traded in my custom seven string Regius to GC in that Sugi deal and that Regius sold in less than seven days.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

what’s interesting is people have the exact same complaints about neck-thru Kiesels.

14. Kovah

Kovah SS.org Regular

I don't find their price tag to be above similar builders. Sure, the fancy 5A carved quilted top will cost you an arm but they've always been a custom shop (or semi-custom). Some dealers order a shit load of guitars but that only targets people who follow the hype and can't wait 10 months for a custom.

15. Vede

Vede SS.org Regular

Incredible guitars, top-notch build quality. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

16. Vede

Vede SS.org Regular

Double post. Ignore.

17. Wyvern Claw

Wyvern Claw SS.org Regular

I got my Mayones Regius Core 7 back in November of last year. I'm in a small town in Canada so I have absolutely no option to try before buying, but I found one that basically would have been what I'd order if I got it custom made anyway and couldn't pass it up. Even though I was slightly skeptical about the hype, the sheer amount of hype that's out there made me have to give it a shot.

I've heard from more than one person, and seen it a few more times in this thread, that Regius guitars they have played "sound like concrete", are "soulless", "lifeless", etc. But I have to say mine completely lived up to the hype and then some. Better than my J. Custom and Custom Shop ESPs, maybe not by a huge degree, but when you get into this price point, diminishing returns absolutely apply. I can't imagine a guitar playing or sounding better than this. We'll see what I say another 4-5 years from now, but after almost one year of ownership I can safely say I'm well out of the honeymoon phase and still play mine every day and plan to hold onto it forever.
    [​IMG]

2liveis2die35 and Kovah like this.
  18. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

As I have experience with neither, @Wyvern Claw Im curious as to how you find it better than the CS ESP?

19. Wyvern Claw

Wyvern Claw SS.org Regular

It's a little difficult to quantify, but easily one of my best sounding and playing guitars is an ESP Jeff Hanneman sig. I also have another full-blown custom I bought used years ago, also a great guitar. But the Mayones just plays smoother. Part of that might be the SS frets, and sound-wise, part of it might be just down to the pickups (though tight, saturated death metal tones are my main thing so the EMG set in the ESP is great for that but the Duncans in the Mayones sound great for that too while being more versatile), but even when played acoustically the Mayones is just a touch more vibrant and resonant. Total opposite of the dead and soulless comments others have made.

You couldn't find a flaw with the ESP if you tried, these are only small things that you might notice when you compare side to side. And I must say, ESP is still my favorite company just partially due to nostalgia, but also because as a whole, they might be a little more equal, my particular Mayones just happens to slightly edge out my main ESP.

The Mayones doesn't even have anything crazy installed for pickups, just a Jazz/JB 7 set, but it almost feels like they picked the perfect pickups for that particular guitar. They most certainly didn't, but that is how it seems to have turned out, and I can't imagine a set of BKPs being any better, just different maybe. The rest is all stuff that's subjective or stuff you can change if you want. Locking tuners on the Mayones are a big plus, but also something I could put on the ESP if I really wanted. The Mayones also looks far, far more pleasing and inspiring to pick up and play with the binding, nice top wood, and unique finish as opposed to a flat-black super strat, but that's the preference part.

Sorry for the ramblings, as I said, it is a bit difficult to quantify, so hopefully that didn't cause me to over-explain too much. I love them both, as well as my entire hoard of other guitars, but there's just something special for me about that Mayones even though that seems almost sacrilegious since I've had my ESP and other favorites for much longer.

budda likes this.